• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Marve passes on USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

Plant quarterback rolls with the Tide

Tradition and comfort help seal Robert Marve's oral commitment to Alabama.

By IZZY GOULD

Published June 21, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Robert Marve stood before a wall of hats at WestShore Plaza on Tuesday and noted the huge selection of schools.

The vibrant colors and fancy logos represented most of the recruiting puzzle.

The one soaked in crimson jumped out.

Five days after Alabama's scholarship offer, Marve orally committed to the school Tuesday. Oral commitments are nonbinding agreements not recognized by the NCAA, but Marve insists his word is solid. Once he stepped on the Tuscaloosa, Ala., campus he knew he was home.

"There's just something about Alabama," the Plant quarterback said. "I felt like it was the right spot for me when I went there. I had that feeling in my stomach where I could see myself playing well and doing good. There's a lot of tradition there."

The 6-foot-1, 190-pounder mulled over his offers Monday with his mother and coach as his father, who was out of town, chimed in via cell phone.

Marve already was locked on Alabama. He wanted a chance to follow quarterbacks such as Bart Starr and Joe Namath.

Marve was the final quarterback the Tide evaluated after two weeks of camps. He was impressive, and Marve was impressed with the staff.

"When Alabama was out of the picture (Tide assistant coach Dave) Ungerer talked me into going up to camp," Marve said. "I knew it was a big school. When I got there I felt comfortable. I pretty much just called Coach Ungerer up and told him I was ready to be the next quarterback at the University of Alabama and win a national championship for him."

Gulf quarterback Alton Voss was believed to be the next in line had Marve passed on the Tide's offer. Buccaneers coach Jay Fulmer said Voss hoped to use the summer to improve and evaluate his options.

Marve delayed his announcement one day to be sure of his decision. He also honored a recruiting trip to the Carolinas last weekend.

"We sent film to 117 Division I schools," Plant coach Robert Weiner said. "I don't know if there's a better choice in college football than Alabama."

Marve threw for more than 1,800 yards and 14 touchdowns last season. He joins Middleton defensive back Sherod Murdock, who gave an oral commitment to the Tide last week.

"I talked to Murdock when I was up in Alabama," Marve said. "He's a cool guy. I like him a lot. I have a good relationship with him and (2006 signee Javier Arenas from Robinson). I'll be calling Javier tonight and letting him know I committed to Alabama. He'll be excited about it."

[Last modified June 21, 2006, 01:59:47]

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/21/Sports/Plant_quarterback_rol.shtml

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Bye-Bye

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  695

Oh well.....you need to be where you want to be in order to put your heart and soul into it.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

shocking