• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How much $$$

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

The keywords in my formula are "average donation".

Hell, I'm not a alum and I've given more than that.

Your 'average donation' theory, takes a big hit when taking into account Eric's explanation that not ALL of the 200,000 are interested in supporting athletics.  If maybe 15% are even interested in endowing athletics (remember before 1997 USF had no football and many alum just looked at athletics as a passing entertainment option- hoops were fun but everything else was no big deal- this isn't UF unfortunately).  Of that 15%, maybe half can come up with the annual dollars (remember again what you're asking appears to be above what people are already giving for season tixs to sports).  That means you've now got to try and pry around $675 from 15,000 alum.

Unfortunately the numbers are probably even smaller, like 10%, and 25% that can come up and would come up with the dollars.  

In this case reality doesn't come close to equaling your perception.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I'd plop down a few thousand for the "SMazza Urinal at Ericksen Softball Complex."    ;)

Imagine the fun after a few beers!  Put ___ Eats It avatar square in the middle and fire away.  

Just kidding Steve, I know think you mean well.    ;D

i think your proposition is funny

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Haven't you read anything?

They're working on it.  They're not going to keep us informed daily of their progress.

Plop down a few million and you could have Mazza Softball Complex.

THEY NEED TO STOP WORKING ON IT AND GET IT DONE

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

In this case reality doesn't come close to equaling your perception.  

The reality is we will never know because "they" don't want to be bothered with making the effort.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The reality is we will never know because "they" don't want to be bothered with making the effort.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Again, 'theories'.  So, you would have them embark on a mad million dollar marketing campaign to all 200,000 donors to give $50 bucks to USF athletics, for what, why, and who?

Rather presumptious on your part wouldn't you say?  Easy to make big claims with no basis or fact to prove yourself then cast a disparaging light on someone else for not taking your unsubstantiated theory?

The University already does try to reach out to all 200,000, e-mails, newsletters, mailers.  Within those are interlaced information and opportunities about USF athletics.   There are ways to go about the marketing and set-up of a donor.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

200,000 (Alumni) x $50 (avg donation) = $10,000,000 (chump change)

If the theory "Ask and they will donate" worked, I'd be giving to multiple other entities at USF including the college of Business from which I graduated.  Living proof that does not work.

If the theory "Ask and they will donate" worked, I'd be giving to multiple other entities at USF including the college of Business from which I graduated.  Living proof that does not work.

Yeah Brad, another issue that plagues the Athletic Department is that once you start donating you get thrown onto the Presidents Circle at USF.  Then suddenly everyone is calling you for donations and the athletic department has to compete for those dollars.  Damned if you do, and damned if you don't is the way it seems sometimes.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  614

You remind me of a regional sales manger that worked for me years ago...who claimed there wasn't any interest in a new product we were marketing...after about two months of zero sales of the product...I went to his territory (unkown to him) to see why...I check with  few of distributors that he was selling to and sure enough they said they didn't want to buy it...that night at hotel I got out the yellow pages and pick out about a dozen dealer outlets of the type that the distributors sold to.  The next day I went to those outlets and showed them the product and showed them how they could sell the product to their customers...one wanted to place an order right then, so I told him to call his distributor...of course the distributor said we don't carry them....to make a long story short, within 30s day the product was being sold to the very distributors that he said weren't intested in it.

I told Mr There's No Interest that his services were no longer needed (He liked to sell big ticket items and not put any effort in the small dollar but volume item)...the first years sales would have increased his total annual commissions  by about 20%...and 4 years later had increased by 400%....naysayers be damned...a little creativity  and perserverence goes a long way while the same old, same old.yields the same old results.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

::)

I think you missed the point...

You remind me of a regional sales manger that worked for me years ago...who claimed there wasn't any interest in a new product we were marketing...after about two months of zero sales of the product...I went to his territory (unkown to him) to see why...I check with  few of distributors that he was selling to and sure enough they said they didn't want to buy it...that night at hotel I got out the yellow pages and pick out about a dozen dealer outlets of the type that the distributors sold to.  The next day I went to those outlets and showed them the product and showed them how they could sell the product to their customers...one wanted to place an order right then, so I told him to call his distributor...of course the distributor said we don't carry them....to make a long story short, within 30s day the product was being sold...I told Mr There's No Interest that his services were no longer needed (He liked to sell big ticket items and not put any effort in the small dollar but volume item)...the first years sales would have increased his total annual commissions  by about 20%...and 4 years later had increased by 400%....naysayers be damned...a little creativity goes a long way...same old, same old....yields the same old results.

well hell Brad we're talking to Rockerfeller.  Sounds to me turkey like you've got the coin to pay for everyone's $50.  I think the creativity is null we'll just hit you up for it.

To be quite the contrarian I'd hate to explain to you that you're not selling a commodity, or even a luxury to these people.  This is purely a donation, dollars they must give to get almost nothing in return accept good old fashion "Goodness in their heart."  Sure you could say they get a $50 tax write-off, but that doesn't matter when probably 95% have more than enough deductions already coming off their tax return.  They'd rather keep the $50 today then get $15-50 back from the IRS next year.

The same story can be explained with churches.  Why is it the oddity that most churches survive and thrive when only about 15% of the parishioners donate?   This is nearly universal but do you realize that most churches find that 15% of their parishioners give 95% of the money in tithing, and almost 2/3'rds give none to barily a dollar.  Why is that turkey?  The facts are they all get the same message, they're all instructed to tith so why do so few?  

The same premise applies here, a pure donation and when it comes to donations, unlike sales of commodities or luxury items or services, when it comes to donations to charities you must rely on someone getting fullfillment simply from the donation itself.  That's a tough sale, even for someone adept as you.