• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

EC Replacements

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

My only prob that I can think of -- is that USF doesn't pay any of its coaches diddly..

?

You just have nothing good to say ever, eh?  I think Coaches Leavitt (aka Million Dollar Man) and Fernandez feel well compensated.  Maybe...just maybe...it's a pay for performance system at USF now?  Or maybe the budget as well as the athletic program is changing.  Your negativity is overwhelming.  I have no doubt we will put the right amount of dollars into correcting the travesty that has been USF baseball.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

what division is U-Tampa in?  i don't think it is d-1A, so playing against better quality teams, can he still win at this level?  you gotta look at all factors, he doesn't play in the level of competition we do in d-1a

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

baseball is baseball. you know it or you dont.

Coach Pat McQuaid of the Nova Titans in Davie. Went undefeated into the 5A playoffs this year, had never been done before. #1 HS team in the country, and his daughter graduated from USF. (i'm a little biased, he's my uncle)

second choice would be the UT coach.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

How about we get someone who has actually coached at some level in here. Are there any players that have gone straight to head coach at any level and been successful?

Avery Johnson isnt doing too bad, and the half a season he played behind don nelson he was really head coach.  Im sure I can name 10 more, but the question was, is there really a dual interst in tino and the bulls? I was asking agingbull and usfgrad, but thanks for the input trip.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

There is no 1A or 1AA in baseball.  There is division 1.  UTampa is D2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Avery Johnson isnt doing too bad, and the half a season he played behind don nelson he was really head coach.

Oh, please, comparing an NBA coach to ANY level baseball coach is a joke ... we're talking about real coaching here.

Im sure I can name 10 more,

Name just 5.

I was asking agingbull and usfgrad, but thanks for the input trip.

You're welcome.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Easiest nomination ever: Joe Urso- Head Baseball Coach University of Tampa

Mr Wollard, you can contact him at JUrso@ut.edu or 813-253-6240-ext. 3488

If USF cannot beat out UT for a coach then they have no business in the Big East and should just make EC contract a lifetime, tenured position.

Woolard said a national search will begin immediately, and potential candidates include University of Tampa coach Joe Urso, whose Spartans are in the Division II College World Series, and Louisville coach Lelo Prado, who played and coached at UT before taking the Cardinals job in 1995.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/01/Sports/Without_a_contract__U.shtml

I love that my guy is actually getting a mention. Thanks Greg!

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  959

Joe Urso. I promise you guys if they hire him we will win.

Still a sad day for me. EC is a good man regardless of what a little punk and his daddy say.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

My preferences, based on what I know so far:

1.  Joe Urso

2.  Jamey Shouppe

3.  Jim Toman

Jim Toman

Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator/Catchers

One of the top recruiters in college baseball, Jim Toman served under head coach Ray Tanner at North Carolina State for seven years and joined the South Carolina staff when Tanner became the Gamecock head coach in June of 1996. A former N.C. State catcher, Toman serves as recruiting coordinator and works with the catchers. Coach Toman was promoted to associate head coach at Carolina in August and is now in his ninth season on staff with the Gamecocks.

Toman has aided in recruiting 13 top 25 classes, including all eight seasons at South Carolina. The 2004 class was recently ranked ninth in the nation by Collegiate Baseball with last year's class tied for first in rankings by Collegiate Baseball and ranked second by Baseball America.

The 2002 class was ranked eighth. The 2001 class was ranked 10th and 2000 class 8th best by Collegiate Baseball. The 1997 Gamecock class was ranked 17th and the 1998 and 1999 classes were both ranked 11th.

Toman received a national honor in 2002 when he was named National Assistant Coach of the Year by the American Baseball Coaches Association and Baseball America.

Five catchers coached at South Carolina by Toman have signed professional baseball contracts. Landon Powell was selected in the first round of the 2004 MLB Draft by the Oakland A's and also was a finalist for the Johnny Bench Award (top collegiate catcher), an All-American choice and a All-SEC selection. Tim Whittaker, a third team All-America choice in 2001, signed with the Toronto Blue Jays. Brandon Pack signed in 2000 with the Texas Rangers, Ryan Bordenick in 1998 by the Milwaukee Brewers, and Rob Streicher in 1997 with the Montreal Expos.

Toman earned four baseball letters at N. C. State, 1981-84, and was captain of the Wolfpack his junior and senior seasons. The highlight of his career as a player came in the 1984 Atlantic Coast Conference tournament when he set records for home runs (4), doubles (4) and total bases (25) and was named to the all-tournament team.

Toman also starred in the classroom. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Vocational Industrial Education in 1985 and graduated as the top-ranked student in the vocational industrial education curriculum. He received the Master of Science degree in Sport Management from N. C. State in 1995 with a 4.0 grade point average.

Upon graduation, Toman entered the coaching profession as an assistant at Richmond County High School in Rockingham, N. C. While working with one of the top high school baseball programs in North Carolina for two years, he also served as head wrestling coach and as an assistant football coach. He then moved to Atlantic Community High School in Del Ray Beach, Fla., where he spent a year as an assistant in baseball and football.

Toman moved into the collegiate coaching ranks in 1989 as an assistant at Florida International University for one year. At FIU he was responsible for the weight program, worked with the catchers and coached first base. Toman joined the N. C. State staff before the 1990 season. He was promoted to the title of associate head coach at N. C. State in 1993.

Toman also spent three summers as an assistant coach with the Brewster Whitecaps of the Cape Cod League.

Born James Michael Andrew Toman Nov. 28, 1961 in Monroeville, Pa., he attended Gateway Senior High School in Monroeville where he was an all-star performer in both football and baseball. Toman is married to the former Ashley McLaughlin of Florence, S. C., a former volleyball player at Charleston Southern University.

They have a daughter, Caroline Frances, born Nov. 24, 1997, and two sons, Charles McLaughlin (Charlie Mac), born May 8, 2000 and Kendall Tucker (Tucker), born Nov. 12, 2003.

THE JIM TOMAN FILE

Born: James Michael Andrew Toman, Nov. 28, 1961 in Monroeville, Pa.

HS Education: Gateway Senior High School

HS Baseball: Gateway 1979-1981

College Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Vocational Industrial Education from N.C. State 1985; Mater of Science in Sport Management from N.C. State in 1995.

College Baseball: N.C. State University 1981-84

Coaching Career: Assistant Richmond County HS, Rockingham, N.C., 1985-87; assistant Atlantic Community HS, Del Ray Beach, Fla., 1987-88; assistant Florida International University, 1988-89; assistant head coach N.C. State University 1989-96; assistant University of South Carolina 1996-present.

Family: Wife, Ashley, daughter Caroline Frances, sons Charles McLaughlin (Charlie Mac) and Kendall Tucker (Tucker).