• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

One thousand, seven hundred and sixty-four.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsarchive2/050406/sp3.htm?date=050406&story=sp3.htm

Hall might be answer at kick returner

One thousand, seven hundred and sixty-four. Take a wild guess what that number represents.

Futility. The futility of Tampa Bay's kickoff return unit the past 30 seasons. You know. To score. On a kickoff.

Surely you've heard announcers speak of it. It rings in the ear -- 1,764.

And it drives Jon Gruden nuts.

"We need a guy, somebody in the United States, worldwide, who can come in and return a kickoff," the Bucs coach said Sunday.

This weekend Gruden and his staff will put another group of draft picks and free-agent rookies through their paces at rookie mini-camp. Among those will be former University of South Florida running back Andre Hall.

Guess who could be a candidate to help the Bucs break one of the NFL's oddest streaks of futility?

"This guy (Hall) has a knack for (returning kicks)," Gruden said.

It's no stretch to say that Hall is USF's best rusher ever. The junior college transfer needed just two years to break just about every school rushing record. He gained nearly 1,400 yards as the Bulls made their first trip to a bowl game last season.

He's also an adept pass receiver. How many backs in NCAA play last year could say they led their team in rushing yards and receptions? There can't be many.

So what makes the Bucs think Hall might help them on kickoff returns? Before Hall won the starting job as a junior, he returned kickoffs, 16 of them for a 20.8-yard average.

A few things to keep in mind. First, the NFL median in 2005 for kickoff return yardage was about 22 yards per return. The Bucs were well behind that. In fact, they were third-worst in the NFL (19.5 ypr). Next, that was a sharp downturn from 2004, when the Bucs averaged 24.2 yards per return. Third, the job is pretty much open. I mean, the Bucs asked Michael Pittman to return kicks in the season's final regular-season game and postseason game, for crying out loud.

He wasn't bad, either. But could Hall be better?

"We're hoping he can come in here and find a niche ... a guy who can catch it, return kickoffs, cover some kicks."

Hall thirsted for the opportunity to be drafted last weekend, but he was not among the 14 running backs selected. He told his agent after the fifth round that he didn't care where he was drafted, just so long as he signed with the Bucs. He went to nearby Dixie Hollings High School.

So he might have a chip on his shoulder.

"Oh yeah, I'm hot about not being drafted," Hall told the Tampa Tribune on Sunday.

Don't believe that Hall's odds are that long to make the team, either. Consider this list -- Shelton Quarles, Ryan Nece, Anthony Davis and Earnest Graham. They were all undrafted free agents that made the roster. Three now start.

The draft is not always the path to NFL riches. Hall's path to the roster is to perform one of the NFL's most reckless jobs. And he's on board.

"I'm going to make the team," Hall told reporters Sunday. "I've had to prove myself, time after time. I'll do it again."

Maybe he's the guy that can stop the streak. One thousand, seven hundred and sixty-four, and counting.

You can e-mail Matthew Postins at mpostins@sun-herald.com.

By MATTHEW POSTINS

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

They should have signed DeAndrew Rubin... idiots.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

didn't he fumble his chance away last yr?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

They should have signed DeAndrew Rubin... idiots.

They had him, didn't they? ........... which makes all this to do about Andre returning kicks more puzzling. I hope to hell he does it but Deandrew was a lot better returner and he couldn't make it. Andre may need to make his mark on the defensive side of the kicking game for the time being ...

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

DR was with the Bucs until the last cut last year. I was at the Texans game watching sadly as he got few opportunities and made the least of the ones he got. The NFL guys see his talent, thats why he is always able to get on a pre-season roster. I don't know why he can't stick on one, but the money cannot be bad for a month of work.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it would be great if hall would break this record