• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pitt Game to Mon @ 4

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  23
  • Days Won:  0

USF Opener Could Be Moved For ESPN

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Apr 13, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida and Pittsburgh officials are in discussions to move their Sept. 4 season opener to Labor Day, Sept. 6, to be televised on ESPN.

If the game is moved it would start Monday afternoon, around 4 p.m.

``I think it's 50-50 right now,'' USF associate athletic director Tom Veit said. ``It's a national television game and would be a lead in for the Miami-Florida State game [on ABC Monday night]. There are a lot of positives and we would probably be inclined to do it.''

If the game is moved from 7 p.m. Saturday, it could hurt USF's attendance.

``There are some concerns about that,'' Veit said. ``We have to look at how it affects our fan base.

``We hope to get this resolved by next week. Coach [Jim] Leavitt will be in on the decision process. It's not a done deal, by any means.''

It's unknown whether Pittsburgh favors the move. Panthers AD Jeff Long could not be reached for comment Monday. ESPN and the Big East Conference are in favor of the move.

If the game is moved, both teams would have short weeks of preparation for their Sept. 11 games - USF hosts Division I-AA Tennessee Tech, Pittsburgh hosts Ohio.

USF already has one national TV game this fall - at Louisville Oct. 22 on ESPN or ESPN2.

``As a growing program and next year when we'll be in the Big East, these situations will happen more often,'' Veit said.

USF coach Jim Leavitt could not be reached for comment.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Even though it will be exposure and $$$ in the account, I sure hope this does not happen. Lots of people have to work the next day. I personally feel it would be a bad move. The turnout would not be good!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

Even though it will be exposure and $$$ in the account, I sure hope this does not happen. Lots of people have to work the next day. I personally feel it would be a bad move. The turnout would not be good!

Do you really think it would hurt attendance if it were at 4 p.m., as speculated?  I might agree with you if it were a night game.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Part of being a NATIONAL football team is being available to be seen on television on a regular, visible basis.  I FULLY support this, asi it is what is best for our TEAM, for our PROGRAM, and for our UNIVERSITY.

That is what counts most...

Yeah, yeah, yeah Mikey. You just want to see it in Loosiana.  ;D Just kiddin. I know you will make the trip for this one. Again, I can see the reality, but I am thinking of the family picnics, the long ride home for a lot of fans who don't live in the Tampa vacinity, and The FSU-Meeami game. Lots will stay home to watch it, even though our game preceeds it. I think it might be a downer for some. JMO!  

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I think this might hurt the out-of-towners who have to fly out & be back at work the following morning. So not as many Pitt fans and out-of-town Bulls alums will be at the game if they do move it. I think most local fans who were going to be in town for a Saturday game would still be around for a Monday afternoon game. I just dislike a day game in September, because its going to be hot as heck and the "standard" Tampa-area late-afternoon thundershowers could come into play.

What's the NFL schedule look like for Labor Day - if there's an NFL game going on at the same time it will hurt TV viewership. If not, then we would be the only game on at the time which might turn out to be a good thing.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

MM,

I heard that the NFL starts the following Sunday, so no MNF conflict.

Roger that on the t-storms...definately a factor, so I agree that would be a negative.  By 7, they are pretty much over.

As far as the out-of-towners, they could have partied all weekend and then head right to the airport after the game.  Most could be home in time to hear about our win on the 11 o'clock news.

Yeah, yeah, yeah Mikey. You just want to see it in Loosiana.  ;D Just kiddin. I know you will make the trip for this one. Again, I can see the reality, but I am thinking of the family picnics, the long ride home for a lot of fans who don't live in the Tampa vacinity, and The FSU-Meeami game. Lots will stay home to watch it, even though our game preceeds it. I think it might be a downer for some. JMO!  

Mitch-

This just means that the BULL NATION needs to step it up and make Labor Day a BULL holiday for the entire Tampa Bay Area.  Screw partying at the causeway, screw partying at Lopez, screw partying at the Pier.  Let's all party at RayJay, and celebrate something real, instead of something that the gov't says we should celebrate.

I'll be there.  I'll be flying in from Louisiana.  I'll be rearranging my life in order to show my support for our athletics.  Who's with me?

BTW- the wife might not be able to make it due to work scheduling, so I might be bringing a potentially convertible fan from the bayous...

Sweet!!!  You know I will be there with the whole family in cluding my little granddaughter!!!! Our picnic will be at the tailgate!!! ::drinker:: ::beersign: ::toasting::