• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: USF Women Get NCAA Bid

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Ahem, please see the bolded portion... ;)

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB2JFAGRKE.html

USF Women Get NCAA Bid

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Mar 13, 2006

TAMPA - Grab your dancing shoes. Put on your best outfit. The University of South Florida women's basketball team is headed to the Big Dance.

Five years after Coach Jose Fernandez debuted at USF with a 4-24 season, the Bulls received the first NCAA Tournament bid in program history. USF (19-11) is seeded ninth and will play No. 8 seed Southern California (18-11) on Sunday at approximately 9:30 p.m. in Norfolk, Va.

If the Bulls win, they'll face the winner of No. 1 Duke and No. 16 Southern University on March 21.

As expected, Florida and Florida State also were named to the 64-team field.

No. 6 seed Florida (21-8) plays No. 11 New Mexico (21-9) on Saturday at 10:30 p.m. in Tucson, Ariz. If the Gators win, they'll play either No. 3 Baylor (24-6) or No. 14 Northern Arizona (21-10).

No. 6 seed Florida State (19-9) plays No. 11 Louisiana Tech (26-4) on Saturday at 8 p.m. in Denver. If the Seminoles win, they'll play either No. 3 Stanford (23-7) or No. 14 Southeast Missouri State (20-8) on March 20.

Before a standing room only crowd in the Big East room at USF's athletic facility Monday night, USF players and coaches erupted when they saw ''South Florida'' flash on the television screen.

USF (19-11) was one of seven Big East teams to earn an NCAA Tournament berth.

Ever since last season when the Bulls played in their second consecutive WNIT, USF's goal was to reach the NCAA Tournament.

That goal came true Monday night.

A day before the selection show, Fernandez was unsure if his club would get in the NCAA Tournament.

''I'm excited and the team is excited,'' Fernandez said Sunday. ''I'm really pleased with how the team has focused the past week and everyone is re-energized. We've had such a great year and I'm sure it was tough for them practicing and not knowing if we're headed to the NCAAs or WNIT.''

The Bulls finally found out - nine days after a disappointing loss to Notre Dame in the first round of the Big East Tournament.

Led by junior Jessica Dickson, the Bulls started the season 11-3, which included a victory against No. 11 DePaul in their inaugural Big East contest. USF then dropped three consecutive heartbreakers by a total of five points before rebounding to win four of its next five, including a win at No. 21 Notre Dame.

The Bulls closed the regular season by winning six of their last nine. USF earned the No. 7 seed at the Big East Tournament, but fell to Notre Dame 73-66 in the tournament opener putting its NCAA hopes in doubt.

However, Fernandez's decision to play a tough non-conference schedule against national powers LSU, North Carolina and Michigan State paid dividends.

A big reason USF received an at-large bid was because the Bulls' non-conference schedule ranked as the nation's 25th toughest.

For USF ticket information, call 1-800-GoBulls.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

wtg

sweet

the men will be there in 2 years

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

You mean the BE tourney, right?

I've heard some thought it was more of an off-white color but others said it was definitely tan ..... I couldn't tell.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

You mean the BE tourney, right?

::) No I believe he said the NCAA. Are you another ghost?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6

Not a ghost, a very real sane person with a mind of my own, which I know can be a novel idea.  Although not always appreciated it seems ;)

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

Not a ghost, a very real sane person with a mind of my own, which I know can be a novel idea.  Although not always appreciated it seems ;)

28 ......... on a good day, 31.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

this guy is only coach to deserve a raise and extension