• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Line coach leaves for Wisconsin

Guest Sprtsfn627

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146
  • Days Won:  0

This one is bad.  Coach Lane is the sole reason we have had very good defensive lineman during USFs short history.  His work ethic and attitude are as awesome as you will find.  He was so good, that he was able to work with the Bucs over the summer and help coach their defensive lineman.  With having us have to replace both DE and a DT, this loss is going to hurt us bigtime.  This loss combined with the loss of Coach Kravitz, now puts a major question mark on the defense.  Yeah, the players are basically the same, and yes Coach Burnham will do an awesome job, but now you are going to have two or three (assuming Simmonds gets hired) new defensive coaches that have to learn how the defense works and then try to teach it to some of the new guys that we need to step in.

Unfortunately, we just aren't paying our coaches what they need and deserve, which is going to make it very difficult to bring in top notch coaches as well.  

As far as other coaches leaving, if our offense has success at all this year, I wouldn't be suprised if both Frey and Franks leave as well.  They are both very good coaches and deserve more than they get.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Hoping Burnham & Leavitt can bring in good talent to coach these vacancies.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

where did all those pay days at ou,alabAMA, ark go?

usf should have one of those pay days every year and carve up money among assistants if money is an issue

why both playing mcneese st in tampa.

talk about rats leaving a sinking ship

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

This one is bad.  Coach Lane is the sole reason we have had very good defensive lineman during USFs short history.  His work ethic and attitude are as awesome as you will find.  He was so good, that he was able to work with the Bucs over the summer and help coach their defensive lineman.  With having us have to replace both DE and a DT, this loss is going to hurt us bigtime.  This loss combined with the loss of Coach Kravitz, now puts a major question mark on the defense.  Yeah, the players are basically the same, and yes Coach Burnham will do an awesome job, but now you are going to have two or three (assuming Simmonds gets hired) new defensive coaches that have to learn how the defense works and then try to teach it to some of the new guys that we need to step in.

Unfortunately, we just aren't paying our coaches what they need and deserve, which is going to make it very difficult to bring in top notch coaches as well.  

As far as other coaches leaving, if our offense has success at all this year, I wouldn't be suprised if both Frey and Franks leave as well.  They are both very good coaches and deserve more than they get.

Not wanted I wanted to hear. No doubt Coach Lane created a GREAT D-Line. Unfortunately these guys are drastically underpaid for the time they do put in not just into gameplanning, coaching, etc. but the numerous recruiting visits these guys make.

Coach Lane, from what I've heard, was one of our best recruiters, he was a large part of the reason why Stirrups committed here.

Good luck to him.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

talk about rats leaving a sinking ship

I wholly disagree.  The program reached a level where our defensive coaches are in demand because they've proven that they could coach mid-major recruits to play BCS football.  They aren't leaving because the ship is sinking, they're leaving because their stock in the NCAA coaching market has risen and they are cashing in.

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  146

Coach Lane, from what I've heard, was one of our best recruiters, he was a large part of the reason why Stirrups committed here.

Coach Lane was a good recruiter, but more importantly he has been the recruiter mostly for the miami area.  So he has had the most contact with the coaches and players from that area.  That is also going to be difficult to replace.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

This happened to the offensive guys after 2001 season and the Pitt win. It is a sign of the team getting more attention.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

My only problem is that in 2001 we were an independant program that was just in its 1st season of I-A football. It had be expected.

We have guys leaving for the same or less positions with other BCS teams. Somewhere you need to step up and give these guys the money they deserve.

Just to note:

Bret Bielema makes 750,000 a year for Wisconsin and Chuck Amato makes a lil more than a mil for NC State. Yet they pay their assistants better. CJL is a great coach and I'd like to keep him around, but in the words of Steve Spurrier, a coach is only as good as his assistants.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there should be more money to pass around

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

If you want to play with the big boys you need to pay like the big boys.