• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dexter McCluster

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

http://www.tbnweekly.com/editorial/sports/content_articles/020806_sports-01.txt

By LEE DIEKEMPER

PINELLAS COUNTY – The Clearwater-Largo area proved again to be a haven for football talent. Feb. 1 was national signing day for top high school athletes to declare where they will attend college and play sports.

Six local football players will be playing for major college football programs come fall.

The list was led by Largo High School’s Dexter McCluster. The Packers’ record-setting running back chose the University of Mississippi. Clearwater High offensive tackler Jarrod Holt signed with Duke University and Countryside offensive lineman Seaver Brown picked the University of South Carolina.

Clearwater Central Catholic High School, only a small Class 2B school, boasted three players alone going to top programs: offensive lineman Kevin Young signed with South Carolina; wide receiver and free safety Riley Cooper with the University of Florida and linebacker Colin McCarthy signed with the University of Miami.

McCluster, who set Pinellas County records this past season by rushing for 2,422 yards and scoring 43 touchdowns, had told whomever would listen during the season he would play this fall just across Tampa Bay for the University of South Florida.

But McCluster changed his mind, instead selecting Mississippi of the Southeastern Conference. McCluster, who is also a singer, hopes to obtain a business degree that will help him enter the music business.

“I think it was a better choice for me, academics-wise,†McCluster said of Mississippi. “I got to visit the campus (in Oxford, Miss.) with my dad and I really liked it. It’s a small town and there will be less distractions there than if I went to USF. If I went to USF, I’d be coming home all the time. (At Mississippi), it will give me a chance to grow up.â€ÂHolt, the son of Clearwater High assistant football coach Joe Holt, will become the third of his immediate family to play for an Atlantic Coast Conference school. His oldest brother, Joe Jr., once played defensive line at the University of Virginia. Another brother, Jon, is an offensive lineman at North Carolina State University.

All three Holt brothers played for Clearwater High.

Holt is currently big enough to be mistaken for an NFL player at 6-6, and 300 pounds. But he said the NFL is not a priority. Holt said he couldn’t pass up a chance to play for Duke.

“To have an opportunity to go to a school like Duke is fantastic,†Holt said. “If I’m ever good enough to play in the NFL, (professional scouts) will find me. I’ll be playing against some of the best teams in college football like Miami, Virginia Tech and Florida State.â€Â

Clearwater Central Catholic’s Cooper, a four-year starter at the school, was rated by Rivals.com, a recruiting Web site, as the tenth best athlete in the nation. He was recruited as a wide receiver but also can play free safety.

“I like the offense they have at Florida,†Cooper said. “They use a lot of wide receivers and that’s the kind of offense for me.â€Â

McCarthy chose Miami over Ohio State and Georgia Tech. He said one main reason he chose Miami was that it would enable his family to come to every home game and many road games.  

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  162

http://www.tbnweekly.com/editorial/sports/content_articles/020806_sports-01.txt

By LEE DIEKEMPER

PINELLAS COUNTY – The Clearwater-Largo area proved again to be a haven for football talent. Feb. 1 was national signing day for top high school athletes to declare where they will attend college and play sports.

Six local football players will be playing for major college football programs come fall.

The list was led by Largo High School’s Dexter McCluster. The Packers’ record-setting running back chose the University of Mississippi. Clearwater High offensive tackler Jarrod Holt signed with Duke University and Countryside offensive lineman Seaver Brown picked the University of South Carolina.

Clearwater Central Catholic High School, only a small Class 2B school, boasted three players alone going to top programs: offensive lineman Kevin Young signed with South Carolina; wide receiver and free safety Riley Cooper with the University of Florida and linebacker Colin McCarthy signed with the University of Miami.

McCluster, who set Pinellas County records this past season by rushing for 2,422 yards and scoring 43 touchdowns, had told whomever would listen during the season he would play this fall just across Tampa Bay for the University of South Florida.

But McCluster changed his mind, instead selecting Mississippi of the Southeastern Conference. McCluster, who is also a singer, hopes to obtain a business degree that will help him enter the music business.

“I think it was a better choice for me, academics-wise,†McCluster said of Mississippi. “I got to visit the campus (in Oxford, Miss.) with my dad and I really liked it. It’s a small town and there will be less distractions there than if I went to USF. If I went to USF, I’d be coming home all the time. (At Mississippi), it will give me a chance to grow up.â€ÂHolt, the son of Clearwater High assistant football coach Joe Holt, will become the third of his immediate family to play for an Atlantic Coast Conference school. His oldest brother, Joe Jr., once played defensive line at the University of Virginia. Another brother, Jon, is an offensive lineman at North Carolina State University.

All three Holt brothers played for Clearwater High.

Holt is currently big enough to be mistaken for an NFL player at 6-6, and 300 pounds. But he said the NFL is not a priority. Holt said he couldn’t pass up a chance to play for Duke.

“To have an opportunity to go to a school like Duke is fantastic,†Holt said. “If I’m ever good enough to play in the NFL, (professional scouts) will find me. I’ll be playing against some of the best teams in college football like Miami, Virginia Tech and Florida State.â€Â

Clearwater Central Catholic’s Cooper, a four-year starter at the school, was rated by Rivals.com, a recruiting Web site, as the tenth best athlete in the nation. He was recruited as a wide receiver but also can play free safety.

“I like the offense they have at Florida,†Cooper said. “They use a lot of wide receivers and that’s the kind of offense for me.â€Â

McCarthy chose Miami over Ohio State and Georgia Tech. He said one main reason he chose Miami was that it would enable his family to come to every home game and many road games.  

His senior year stats are eye-popping.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

He has not qualified yet (FCAT) and will be playing JUCO ball unless he passes it.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911

he's a longshot to qualify, i hope he likes a small school like HCC.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

I was told by some one "in the business" that he won't have the grades to play...  At least right off the bat anyway.

Guest S.  Bien
I was told by some one "in the business" that he won't have the grades to play...  At least right off the bat anyway.

Hey aren't YOU "in the business" too. ;)

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Get over it.. Bye-Bye Dexter

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,142

What Mutt should have said was he was told by someone high up in USF football that he would not have the grades and that we chose not to take him.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

thank you for the translation bubbles

we need a coach that can get kids from clearwater largo area