• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Duke (1-10) outrecruited USF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

What sport. I have to make sure its not soccer. That does not count. Rezz I agree. Unless it is clear cut how can you know that from watching someone a couple of times.  

The recruiting rankings fanatics are akin to the fantasy sports aficionados ......... aka modern day D&Ders.  8)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

To be completely honest, if you're going to worry about something, worry about the coaching.  Utah, UTEP, BGSU, and quite a few other schools---even from bcs leagues---have posted 8-9 win seasons or better with supposedly WORSE recruiting classes than we have.

Why recruit more QB's?  We have 5+.  One of which was a 4 star and another that was 3.  We need QB COACHING, people.  That's how it goes.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  192

The more the better as far as QB's. One has to be good right ?  I bet the coaches taught Julmiste to throw it 100mph from 5 yards away.  They also taught the WR's to drop balls when they hit them in the hands to.  Coaches can only do so much, the athlete has to perform during game time...........................................

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Yes JG I played football all the way until the JUCO Level (only played one eyar and tore all three major ligaments in practice, never saw the field). He played high school with me and went to a major D-I SEC program...

FYI - I really don't do fantasy sports.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  192

Alright if you say so.  How do they come upwith the ratings though.  Ask your buddy.   Honestly, it is impossible to cover the whole nation.  

They have regional scouts. Then a guy who is involved with SEC or Big East Recruiting on top of that. They go to games and combines/camps, and also purchase tapes of players and analyze them on that (which is easier being that the majority of HS football games are Friday nights). Then when deciding the rankings they all sit in a room and rate the players using their scouting reports and how they feel their game can grow and translate to the next level. They will do this several times a year to get the most accurate and up to date ratings they can get.

They usually get the top players right, but there are several 3/2 star guys that are very good players, they just either are misevaluated, don't have enough footage, or come out of the woodwork their senior year (i.e- Ben Rothlisberger)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

They have regional scouts. Then a guy who is involved with SEC or Big East Recruiting on top of that. They go to games and combines/camps, and also purchase tapes of players and analyze them on that (which is easier being that the majority of HS football games are Friday nights). Then when deciding the rankings they all sit in a room and rate the players using their scouting reports and how they feel their game can grow and translate to the next level. They will do this several times a year to get the most accurate and up to date ratings they can get.

They usually get the top players right, but there are several 3/2 star guys that are very good players, they just either are misevaluated, don't have enough footage, or come out of the woodwork their senior year (i.e- Ben Rothlisberger)

Don't forget that one of the most influential parts of recruiting player "rankings" is what schools are offering scholarships.

Are they Top 20 programs? Are they just BCS Progams? Are they mostly "bottom" 30-40 programs? etc...

That's how many kids are judge for "stars"....aka...even without film...a kid "offered" (not just getting letters or phone calls) from Penn St, Notre Dame, FSU and USC...will usually get more stars than the kid getting offers from Duke, USF, Rutgers, Bowling Green and UCF.

KL

PS. Challenge for USF...who just finished their 3rd "BCS" Recruiting Class (since move to Big East was known), will probably only end up enrolling the 43rd best player from the state (Glover...Stirrups is a long shot for eligibility), while Louisville/NC State combined to grab 5 out of the Top 40 FLA kids.

I think these 2 schools be the biggest competitors in recruiting for USF...much more so than Miami, UF, & FSU.

Here's the Top 100 FL List and which schools they signed with from Bill Buchalter/Orlando SEntinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/orl-spt-state100box020206,0,2697450.htmlstory?coll=orl-sports-utility-recruit

Knight, big guys get about 40-50 offers from schools. Tebow had 80, those don't play THAT much of a factor. If it did, then why would ND commits lose stars 2 weeks before signing.

just because they played sports doesnt mean that these rating systems actually mean anything.  judging 17 year old kids based on game videos and maybe seeing them once or twice in person has almost zero translation into success.

Rezz that is one of the most redicules things I have ever heard.

Every sport except football (and now bball to an extent) is looking at 15,16,17,18 year old kids to PAY them to play that sport. They do almost the EXACT same process when ranking those players.

As for AJ HAwk, he was lowly rated because he had never play LB before OSU.

I guarentee if we had a top 25-30 90% of the people on this board would be going BATTY about it.

Did we get some good guys, YES!

Why weren't they highly rated? I dunno there were a number of reasons I'm sure.

Will we be fine? YES.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

pdiddy=havent we discussed lack of coaching ability of usf staff?

i agree with you.many non cbs teams with far less talent has done better than usf