• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Aaron Harris signs to play for USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

welcome to the BULLS family!

sports01.jpg

Aaron Harris signs to play for USF

Aaron Harris is pictured on signing day with his family and Williston High School coaches.  

By Steve Jarboe

As many of you are aware, Aaron Harris has been offered a football scholarship from the University of South Florida. On Wednesday in the Williston High School Media Center Aaron was joined by a packed room of family, friends and fellow schoolmates to officially sign with the Division I University of South Florida Bulls.

Aaron was recruited by many other colleges but chose the University of South Florida for several reasons. He really likes his chances of playing for the Bulls his first year, and he liked coach Jim Leavitt.

Aaron was introduced to the audience by his High School coach Jamie Baker, who made a tremendous speech to all the younger student-athletes who were present about what Aaron was actually signing and Aaron's accomplishments to be sitting where he was today.

Coach Baker told the audience that there are a ton of Division I football players in the state of Florida with excellent football skills and ability, but just a few are chosen by the Universities to receive financial help with their higher education in the form of athletic scholarships. Baker went on to say that achievement in the classroom was just as important as God-given abilities on the courts and fields in sports. He told the students in the audience they should become best friends with their teachers because their teachers can help them achieve the educational requirements that play a major role to help a student-athlete obtain the scores necessary to receive a scholarship. Baker said Aaron Harris has done just that and passed all the tests necessary to graduate and to meet the scholastic requirements to receive his scholarship.

Baker also touted Aaron as a role model for others to look up to, saying that Aaron not only was blessed with athletic abilities, but had a great personality, and was a very responsible young man and a good citizen in all his actions.

Aaron played the tackle position for the Red Devils but played defensive end when chosen to play in the FACA All Star Game this year. Aaron will be playing defensive end for the Bulls and will be tried at other positions also.

Aaron put forth his determination when he went out for football at Williston, and when he decided he wanted to play Division I football, he worked hard on the field and especially hard in the classroom. He did it all on his own, with self-determination, his father Curtis said at Wednesday's signing.

After the paperwork was signed, Aaron called his new coach to let him know he was ready and then passed the phone to his mother Janice and then to his father Curtis.

The audience that filled the Media Room and Library was then treated to cake and refreshments to help a deserving young man celebrate a tremendous accomplishment in his young life. Go Bulls and go Aaron!

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Welcome to the Bulls Family Aaron!!! ;D

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060202/GATORS01/202020368/-1/sports

Unlike most of the players who committed, defensive lineman Aaron Harris knew South Florida was the place for him more than two weeks ago.

He made the visit with his family in the middle of January and knew he wanted to go to USF over Central Florida and Troy.

"Mom and Dad liked it," Williston coach Jamie Baker said. "I think his family really liked the area."

A strong family background and solid character, Baker believes, are major reasons teams found Harris so appealing.

"The thing I'm so proud of is the example he sets for our program," Baker said.

Harris is also a beast on the defensive line. He stands at 6-5, weighs 245 pounds and has long arms and explosiveness, which caught the attention of many scouts.

"It's tough to get around him and it's tough to run through him," Baker said.

seems like a good kid from a good family.

i can see him batting down a lot of pass attempts.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

he doesnt seem very happy

you should have seen me when i  got accept to usf

ear to ear smile and i didnt have a free ride

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

he doesnt seem very happy

you should have seen me when i  got accept to usf

ear to ear smile and i didnt have a free ride

Jesus Christ, you find ANYTHING to ***** about don't you?  God ****...