• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another BULL in Trouble ...

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

McMurphy may be beating the bushes a bit on this one. But he isn't telling me anything particularly amazing here. So many college athletes have children. Is having children a freaking crime? Some act like it is-- ["oh you should wrap it" ha ha ha. ] Funny how so many who have taken the Fisher-hater attitude dismissed  the whole "I love my daughter".

I think this comes down to cultures. Many of these players came from similar situations which they entered into themselves when tehy became adults. Perhaps the people who are so peeved by this cannot see that they are simply disagreeing with a another persons culture. Odds are good that these same players would have had these children even if they weren't at school. I have beaten the "NCAA athletes can't work" drum repeatedly -- another item that gets conveniently excused as-- "take responsibility young man". Yeah-- quit your whole chance at making something of yourself so that one day YOU can provide very well for your prodigy. And no-- I'm not referring to NFL dreams as much as the fact that college graduates earn more than HS graduates and far more than HS dropouts. In this case, the girl was impregnated during HS-- so should he just quit on his dreams immediately and do the right thing? Many do this but if you have a scholarship offer in your hand-- isn't it foolish to think that working two jobs is the better route? Do you honestly believe what works for one person should automatically work for another? And for those people who talk about working two jobs and still putting yourself through school-- great for you. Try doing that along with playing football-- a full time endeavor.

I just don't get it-- these guys bust their asses year after year in the training room, on the field, in the classroom, and who knows where else. And you want to focus in on something that is first of their business (nosey bastards) as well as being taken care of by them in some fashiopn. I can't this is true of every person in this situation nor can you ASSUME you know how things are really playing out. Nope-- instead you fire off some comments of how your perfect world scenario should play out. HS girls get pregnant folks-- fact of life-- let's not dwell on the "wrap it" BS and focus in on the fact that these guys are doing the best that they can. Maybe that just isn't good enough for you but until you would like to tell us your personal problems in the paper for all of us to chit all over and assume we know better than you, I have no reason to take you very seriously.

This crap is getting old. The bottom line is simple-- MANY young people are getting into this situation every day NOT JUST ATHLETES. DO an internet search and pick someone out who isn't a player and start talking about them as well-- oooh-- not the same effect I guess.

I also must laugh at the person who blamed USF for not being more aware of the situation or helping the student athlete out, The child was conceived while he was in HS-- that's not USF's job to regulate Florida HSs. The New York Times article could have written the same about so many other division 1-A schools. I'll just remind you that the "number" of children fathered by USF players INCLUDES married players as well like Kevin Verpaele.  Was that in the article-- nah-- boring-- nothing interesting about married people having children. The whole thing is all about shock value. The responses of some of the people here are more about their own personal morals/values/decisions. Opinions vary-- god help you if you ever get exposed in such a manner-- you will be torn to shreds if you have any name value whatsoever.

The NYTimes Magazine feature story wasn't about how many kids the USF players fathered...it was about how much $$$ new schools were putting into their football program...and USF was one of the latest making the jump to Div I-A.

Maybe the author of the article might of been "shocked" to find a staff member at USF with a box of 5,000 condoms for the football players...and that same person said USF players have fathered "at least 60 children".

Believe the author writes mostly on Baseball...writes books (new one is about D. Strawberry) and may not know the "culture" of College Football...especiall in the South.

Here's the full article called "Football Is a Sucker's Game"

http://www.und.edu/org/iac/Documents/Football%20Is%20a%20Sucker's%20Game.htm

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest S.  Bien

You mean its not framed on your wall Knight Light?  My goodness, to bad Charles Lee or Daunte Culpepper, or Roy Williams were never quoted for UCF. ;D

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

some is obviously looking into all the usf cases

has a father and son ever played on same college team?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677
  • Days Won:  0

just here to beat a dead horse.....errr aaahhh bull..... where did i put that baseball bat.

Guest S.  Bien
some is obviously looking into all the usf cases

has a father and son ever played on same college team?

Yes actually.  I think it was last year in fact, on an NAIA team when a father was going back to college and played a year with his son.  I can't remember where I read it, or when it occurred but it was funny.  The dad was in his early early 40's, and was knocking kids around.  The problem was his body wasn't returning to form as quickly as the kids each day.  NAIA has different eligibility rules- I think anyone can play. ;D