• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dear Diary | Thaddeus Lewis, HML quarterback

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Dear Diary | Thaddeus Lewis, HML quarterback

He called it a perfect 10, a home away from home and a great opportunity.

Hialeah-Miami Lakes quarterback Thaddeus Lewis returned from his weekend visit to the University of South Florida sounding like he was ready to become the Bulls' latest commitment from Miami-Dade.

So, is he ready to make Tampa his future home?

''The USF trip has been the best so far,'' Lewis said Tuesday. ``Then, I'd say Pitt and TCU. But I won't have an answer until I get back from Duke next weekend. Next Monday morning, I'm going to sit down with coach [Jerry Hughes] and my mom and talk it over. Then I'll decide.''

Until then, the suspense and the race to sign Dade's No. 5 recruit -- one of the elite few still uncommitted -- continues. The following is the second in a series of recruiting diaries and details his latest trip to USF.

ARRIVAL DAY

''This was definitely the nicest trip I've been on,'' Lewis said. ``After my plane landed and we checked into the hotel and took a tour of the stadium, they took all 20 recruits and family on a dinner cruise. I wasn't expecting that.''

The cruise, which Lewis said took place on a chartered yacht, lasted nearly three hours. Recruits and family were treated to chicken, fish, pork, rice, pasta and vegetables and spent the night getting to know coach Jim Leavitt and his staff.

''It was tight,'' Lewis said. ``After that, when we got back to land, we got paired off with our hosts. I got to hang out with [former Booker T. Washington teammate] Patrick St. Louis. We've been friends ever since he left. We played [video games] the rest of the night. It was cool to get a chance to chill with him again.''

Lewis retired to his hotel room.

''The room was just as nice as the one in Pittsburgh, only it had food and Gatorade and stuff,'' Lewis said.

AMAZING FACILITIES

The next day after a big breakfast, Lewis said he and the fellow recruits -- which included Immokalee running back Jevarris James (UM commitment) and former Booker T. teammates Joe Jackson and Alwan Lee -- took a tour of the Bulls' new state-of-the-art locker-room facility.

''It was like an NFL locker room,'' Lewis said. ``They had an underwater treadmill. I'd never seen one of those. The lockers were huge. All of the jerseys, shoes, were Nikes. It was all real nice.''

After a brief meeting with academic advisors, Lewis said the recruits were treated to an all-you-can-eat buffet of burgers, chicken and mozzarella sicks at a restaurant.

Later that night, the recruits were taken to the team banquet at Busch Gardens, where they ate and watched players receive awards. He followed that by spending the night with current Bulls players before having a meeting with Leavitt on Sunday morning.

''The best thing about the whole trip was that it was the most comfortable place I've been yet,'' Lewis said. ``With only two guys coming back at quarterback -- Patrick Julmiste and Carlton Hill -- and two recruits in Alwan [Lee] and Nate Allen, all he can promise about playing time is a chance.''

DECISION SOON

Lewis doesn't seem to mind the competition, something he has said all along throughout his recruiting process. The toughest part of the recruiting process, according to HML assistant Pete Basnueva, will be having to turn three schools down.

''You can tell he's having a tougher time knowing he's going to disappoint someone,'' Basnueva said. ``Thaddeus is a good kid. He hates hurting people.''

Who ends up being disappointed a week from today (national signing day) remains to be seen. Texas Christian coach Gary Patterson visited with Lewis on Tuesday night on an in-home visit. Pittsburgh quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh visits with Lewis today. And Thursday, Lewis leaves for Duke.

''It's not going to be easy,'' Lewis said. ``I'm trying to keep my heart out of it. It's time to think business, make sure all my questions are answered.''

Miami Herald

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

``With only two guys coming back at quarterback -- Patrick Julmiste and Carlton Hill -- and two recruits in Alwan [Lee] and Nate Allen, all he can promise about playing time is a chance.''

i guess he didnt get the memo.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

grothe.... you forgot the 'H'   ;)

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

hhmmm..he also said all the uniforms were nike...a change unmentioned by the school?Hope we get him

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

"All of the jerseys, shoes, were Nikes."

I caught that!!

DID YOU?!!!

;D

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Our practice stuff has always been nike.  Not sure if he was looking at practice gear or game gear?  

• 2 weeks later...