• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dominic Grooms

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

This kid was a no-star QB on rivals.  We got a verbal and he got 2 stars.  He then verbaled to Missouri.  Now he's a 3-star qb and ranked in the top 30 of dual threat quarterbacks in the country.  This Dexter McCluster and Kevin McCaskill are really showing me that our staff can identify talent.  It's also showing me (see McCluster to Ole Miss and Grooms to Missouri) that we need to learn how to keep them here.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Stars on rivals are finalized today, don't think for a min that stars are how coaches identify talent. Most coaches look at these guys starting their sophomore/junior years its rivals/scout that wait to find some of these guys.

If I guy is good most school recognize it early.

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

This kid was a no-star QB on rivals.  We got a verbal and he got 2 stars.  He then verbaled to Missouri.  Now he's a 3-star qb and ranked in the top 30 of dual threat quarterbacks in the country.  This Dexter McCluster and Kevin McCaskill are really showing me that our staff can identify talent.  It's also showing me (see McCluster to Ole Miss and Grooms to Missouri) that we need to learn how to keep them here.

If he had gone to FSU or Florida,  he would have 4 stars by now.  When we had 3 QB commits,  I would have put them Lee first, Allen second and then Grooms.  Today I feel the same way.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

had he gone to Miami, No Dames, or USC he would jump to 5stars :-X

thats not true. 7 of NDs recruits lost stars yesterday when rivals put out their finals player ratings. It's the currently controversy on their rivals board.

If this was true Stirrups would be a 2 star by now, I'm not saying it hasn't been done, but they really don't do increase/descrease a guy because of the school they commit to. (see: ND, Tennessee, and Miami)

Stars do a very good job of picking the TOP guys, but like the NFL draft a player's ratings change constantly, especially when you have a pool this big.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

The stars don't really have much of a value. The amount of stars change constantly, because sometimes a kid will have great soph/junior seasons, the crap the bed their final season. Sometimes, a kid is unknown then they have a breakout season and they become all the rage by the time the recruiting process is in full swing.

A great example of that is Kylan Robinson, the RB from Chamberlain. He was the 3rd string RB with no shot at any sort of scholarship after the first game of the season, then because of stupidity and injury, he starts the rest of the season. Now he is a top 15, maybe even 10 running back in the nation, with just about every school wanting a piece of him.

All of that from a kid nobody knew anything about 5 months ago...

Exactly, that is why a school like Miami(OH) can hit gold with a lil known guy named Ben Rothisberger, a 2 star TE comming out of HS. Ohio State and Michigan recruited the guy to play TE.

Until his SENIOR season of HS he was a WR, where he was put in as a QB. Because people had been seeing this kid as a WR for so many seasons they had his projected there. However after switching to QB schools we're sure if one year of play would convert well to the NCAA level.

Result he went to Miami to play QB, set all sorts of school records and went 13-1 his senior season, his only loss was to Iowa 21-3.

While the 5 Stars are going to be very good college players 90% of the time. The 2-3 stars are NOT bad talent, they just aren't considered a top 250 player...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

wecan't recruit

i can tell you who the good players are. big deal

we need to get players to sign

bouncey posts-The stars don't really have much of a value.

\THAT IS BECAUSE USF DOESN'T SIGN MANY PLAYERS WITH 3 STARS AND UP

IF WE DID BOUNCEY WOULD POST STARS HAVE HIGH VALUE

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  1,633

Exactly TNBulls, I haven't really ever been a fan of the "stars" or any kind of rating value like that. It is like in the NFL draft, a guy can have a great combine, but that has nothing to do with how good he is on the field. You have to watch players and see how they are, and if they are field smart to see if they have what it takes to be successful at the next level, collegiate or professional. I watched the majority of the guys play in the county this year, from the sidelines of the game, and that is why I am big on the players(K. Robinson, J. Fayson, D. Rose, E. Alcin) that I have talked about this year. Some guys have a high rating and I think they are going to be busts at the next lever, like Roderick Jenerette, if they ever make it there.

Ratings dont mean a **** thing, ie. Mike Mamulla(Eagles), Tony Mandarich(Green Bay), Charles McRae(Buccaneers)and everyone's favorite, Brian "The Boz" Bozworth(Seattle).