• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transfers mount for UF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Transfers mount for UF as Appleby, Al-Kaleem join fray

Published April 03. 2004 8:30AM

KEVIN BROCKWAY

The Gainesville Sun

GAINESVILLE - Backup guards Ryan Appleby and Rashid Al-Kaleem went from little playing time to role players during the course of the 2003-04 college basketball season.

Apparently, it wasn’t enough to convince either of them to stay.

Appleby and Al-Kaleem left the Florida basketball team Friday, cutting the number of scholarship players to 11 pending the arrival of four incoming freshman.

Appleby is reported to be mulling a scholarship offer to play closer to his hometown of Stanwood, Wash. Appleby, who grew up idolizing Pistol Pete Maravich and wrote in a seventh-grade journal that he wanted to be a Gator, chose Florida over Washington, Oregon and Gonzaga.

‘‘It was a long tough year for me, not getting to play a whole lot and not getting to play like I thought we would,’’ Appleby said. ‘‘We didn’t run as much.’’

Appleby was wearing his Florida basketball shorts on campus Thursday. As recently as the season-ending loss to Manhattan in the NCAA Tournament, Appleby expressed interest in returning to the team. Al-Kaleem, a sophomore, also said he wanted to come back for his junior season the Monday before the NCAA Tournament started.

In a University-released statement, Florida coach Billy Donovan said both Appleby and Al-Kaleem left ‘‘to pursue other opportunities.’’ Under NCAA rules, each player would have to sit out next season in order to transfer to another Division I school.

‘‘I enjoyed having the opportunity to coach both Rashid and Ryan,’’ Donovan said in the statement. ‘‘They’re both great kids and I wish nothing but the best of luck as they pursue their goals and dreams.’’

Donovan did not return calls seeking further comment.

Five players have left the Florida basketball program since October, when center Mario Boggan was granted a release from his scholarship to transfer. Boggan enrolled at St. Bonaventure in January but was dismissed from the team last week.

In January, walk-on guard Chris Capko left due to playing time issues and is expected to earn a scholarship at South Florida. Sophomore forward Christian Drejer left the team in February in order to sign a professional contract in Spain.

Two more Florida players  James White and Gainesville High’s Orien Greene  left before the start of the 2002-03 season. White transferred to Cincinnati and Greene ended up at Louisiana-Lafayette.

The moves leave Florida with one point guard, Anthony Roberson, who is wavering between returning for his junior season or entering the NBA draft. The deadline for underclassmen to declare eligibility is May 10.

Incoming recruit Taurean Green of Fort Lauderdale is a point guard and would likely enter next fall as the backup if Roberson returns. He could end up the starter as a freshman if Roberson leaves.

Matt Walsh and Lee Humphrey, who handled the ball up the court when Appleby faltered in Florida’s regular-season finale against Kentucky, would be other options for depth depending on whether Roberson decides to stay or leave. So would walk-on, two-sport incoming freshman Cornelius Ingram, who played some point at Hawthorne High.

Or, Florida could apply for relief of current NCAA Bylaw 15.5.4.1, which limits the number of scholarships offered to eight over a two-year period and five in a single year. Florida has offered eight scholarships since November of 2002. Appleby was part of the 2002 class of four that were freshmen this season.

If granted relief, Florida could sign a point guard during the month-long April contact period, which begins Tuesday. Florida has up to 13 scholarship slots available.

Mired on the bench for much of the early SEC season, Appleby and Al-Kaleem took on increased roles when Drejer left, with mixed results.

Appleby, who started the season-opener at the point against Montana State as a freshman, struggled bringing the ball up the court against the more physical, athletic point guards in the conference. He finished his freshman season averaging 1.0 point per game with an assist to turnover ratio of 27:22.

Appleby averaged a shade under eight minutes a game and did not play in eight of Florida’s 31 games due to coaches' decision. When Drejer left, Appleby played a more prominent role as backup point guard, although his minutes actually decreased (7.1 per game) in appearing in each of Florida’s final 10 games.

Al-Kaleem left the team for a week in February due to personal issues and was not with the team for its Feb. 14 loss to LSU. He made his only career Florida start in December against West Virginia at the Orange Bowl Classic in Miami.

Primarily a 3-point shooter, Al-Kaleem shot 36.6 percent from beyond the arc his sophomore season in averaging 3.0 points per game. Of the 33 baskets in his UF career, 23 were 3-pointers.

Al-Kaleem, a Muslim, practiced through his first two Novembers while observing the month-long fast during Ramadan. His mother, Dorothy Al-Kaleem, did not know if Al-Kaleem intended to transfer to a school closer to his native Dorchester, Mass.

Al-Kaleem could not be reached Friday.

Guest BasketBull.

I'll throw a party when they finally shut that entire school down for having too many rednecks in one area. Anything else, I'll just smile.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

has USF applied for relief of bylaw 15.5 and 4.1?

donovan will not be a floirda much longer

his magic has worn off

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

who is this chris capko?    big man?

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

GAYTURDS!!!!!! :o      BARRRRRRRRRRRFFFFFFFF!!!!!!! ::sick::

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

why would anyone want to stay in gainsville

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Yeah, anyone know anythink about Chris Capko? Who says we've offered this guy a scholly?

Published Thursday, March 25, 2004

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

USF Looking To Come to Lakeland Center

Ledger staff and wire reports

The University of South Florida is looking into having a men's college basketball game at The Lakeland Center.

Officials at USF said the school is exploring a lot of options, including moving a one of their home games to Lakeland against an unnamed opponent in November.

The Bulls have a Polk County connection in Kathleen graduate Chris Capko. Capko transferred from the University of Florida but won't be eligible until the first semester ends sometime in December. South Florida also has a campus in Lakeland.

If the game comes off, it will be the first Division I men's college basketball game held at The Lakeland Center since December of 1995. Georgetown played games against Saint Leo and Duquesne.

who is this chris capko?    big man?

He's 6'1

capko.jpg

Here is his bio from the Gator site:

http://www.gatorzone.com/basketball/men/bios.php?year=2002&bio=capko.html

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

nice find howie... **** it... another guard... ;)