• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transfers mount for UF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Velcro...There were at least two different articles on him here in the archives which were posted in the last 90 days, but I couldn't access them. Maybe you will have better luck.

Velcro...There were at least two different articles on him here in the archives which were posted in the last 90 days, but I couldn't access them. Maybe you will have better luck.

I believe this was one of the articles mentioning him previously:

McCullum signed two players in the spring, Bradley Mosley, one of USF's top players this season, and Holmes, who has played sparingly.

USF has three players arriving next fall - signees Collin Dennis and Solomon Jones, and transfer Chris Capko, a former walk-on at Florida. It will likely sign more during the spring signing period.

The attrition is taking its toll, as evidenced by the Louisville debacle. Last week shooting guard Marlyn Bryant tore an ACL, He will miss the rest of the season. Several walk-ons are practicing, including Capko, Alton Darling (who played in Saturday's loss), and Brian Graham, a former walk-on at Central Florida whom McCullum expects to dress for the first time Saturday.

"I don't know if I've ever been in a situation where we've been down to so few players," McCullum said. "The games are not the (main problem), it's practicing that is the big issue. Many teams play just seven or eight guys. But you need more than that to practice."

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/01/14/Sports/Baxter_leaves_Bulls__.shtml

Another article said he couldn't actually play for USF until January because of the one year rule and would therefore have to sit out some of the earlier games next year.

I'm not sure if this article was previously posted:

Published Friday, January 9, 2004

UF's Capko Heads to USF

Ledger staff and wire reports

Chris Capko has transferred from the Florida Gators to the South Florida Bulls.

Capko, a 6-foot-1 sophomore walk-on guard from Kathleen, saw limited action in 10 games his freshman year, although he didn't play any this year.

He will have to sit out a year, per NCAA transfer rules, and will be eligible to play after USF final exams for fall semester in December 2004.

"I saw it wasn't going to happen for me there," Capko said. "They signed two other guards and didn't have any upperclassmen. I wanted to play. It just wasn't going to work out."

This will be a redshirt year for Capko so when he is eligible, he will still be a sophomore.

Velcro this was an article I posted at the time.

The subject heading here would be: Gator walk-on walks off

In that thread there was another article which I haven't been able to find mentioning Capko and McCullum:

UF MEN'S BASKETBALL NOTEBOOK

Gator walk-on walks off

Published January 08. 2004 8:30AM

By KEVIN BROCKWAY

Sun sports writer

Chris Capko transfers to South Florida for "an opportunity to play."

COLUMBIA, S.C.  Sophomore walk-on guard Chris Capko played his last game as a Florida basketball player in Tampa during the first weekend of last year's NCAA Tournament regionals.

Capko returned to Tampa this week, as a student at the University of South Florida. Capko transferred to USF over the holidays and has enrolled at the school with the intentions to play basketball there.

"He just wanted the opportunity to play and he didn't think he would get that opportunity here," Florida coach Billy Donovan said. "It's close to his hometown. I'm sure it's going to be a good opportunity for him."

Capko, a Lakeland Kathleen graduate, did not appear in a game this season. As a freshman, Capko appeared in 10 games, mostly in garbage time. He finished with no points and four rebounds in 17 minutes.

The move leaves Florida with 11 scholarship players and one walk-on, sophomore guard Seth Haimovitch. Sophomore center Mario Boggan left the team last October.

Sophomore guard Christian Drejer, a close friend of Capko, wrote the letters CAP in black magic markers on both sneakers as a tribute. Capko will be eligible to play in January of 2005.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Howie, thanks for the articles, i do remember you posting those now that i read them again.  Very curious why we are only signing 1 big man and so many guards.

Howie, thanks for the articles, i do remember you posting those now that i read them again.  Very curious why we are only signing 1 big man and so many guards.

I'm not at all certain that we will sign Capko. I don't know if we promised him a scholarship. Considering our situation, Capko might be willing to play at USF as a walk-on just like he did at Florida. He might just be looking for real playing time and that we can give him.

he probably noticed Graham doing well and getting 35 mins per game, hopefully we are good enough where he won't be able to get any minutes.

howie is the king, i'm just his apprentice