• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Tackle Julian Riley Enrolls at USF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Riley seeks to play for Bulls this season

By Compiled from staff and wire reports

Published January 14, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TAMPA - Former Florida defensive lineman Julian Riley has transferred to USF and will petition the NCAA to allow him to play for the Bulls this fall.

Riley, a Lakewood graduate who started classes Friday, said he left UF to be closer to his mother, Pauline, who has battled lupus since he was in the fifth grade.

"Coming closer to home was real important for me," said the 6-foot-3, 290-pound Riley, who will seek an NCAA hardship waiver to avoid sitting out this fall, as he would have to under regular transfer rules. "I love the University of Florida, and I'd love to stay there. I just think I should be closer to my mom."

Riley, who played only one series in three years at UF, said he was converted to guard last month as the Gators prepared for their bowl game. He isn't sure which side of the ball he'll play for USF, which called him a defensive tackle in announcing his transfer.

If Riley's waiver is granted, he'll have two years of eligibility at USF, but otherwise, he'll only be able to play during the 2007 season.

- GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

Since he'll be able to practice this spring, wouldn't be suprised to see him tried out at OG ...

Wish him and his mother the best.

Go BULLS !!!

USF Transfer Riley Seeks Extra Year Of Eligibility

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Jan 14, 2006

TAMPA - Former Florida defensive tackle Julian Riley, who transferred to the University of South Florida on Friday, will seek an NCAA waiver to become eligible in 2006 without sitting out the mandatory transfer season.

If the NCAA grants the waiver, Riley would have two years of eligibility instead of one.

A Lakewood High graduate, Riley is seeking a hardship waiver because he transferred to USF to be closer to his mother, Pauline, who has lupus.

"My mom is sick and I really thought it would be better to be closer to home," Riley said. "To me, my family was the most important thing.

"I'm not banking on it [the waiver], I just hoping and praying that it could work out. If not, I'll make the most out of my one season [in 2007]."

Riley (6-3, 278) will participate in spring drills and said he's open to playing offensive or defensive line. "Wherever they want me," he said.

In other USF news: former USF offensive lineman Larry Scott has replaced Chad Barnhardt as USF's offensive graduate assistant. Barnhardt was named offensive coordinator at Webber College last month.

Scott just completed his first year as USF's director of high school relations.

This may spell the end of Blackwell taking this spot, unless there is another opening.

Guest BullsFans

If I were the NCCA, I'd look very carefully at his claim.

When was his mother first diagnosed, which type of Lupus, how severe is it.  Has her condition worsened since he went to Gainesville.

I know a few people who have Lupus....and they lead rather normal lives.

His concerns could be legit or they could be nothing more than a ruse because he isn't happy with his situation in Gatorville....if it's the latter then I say TFB.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

Well you are NOT the NCAA. Im sure it ll get looked at if it happens fine if not thats fine also. In my book the NCAA looks the other way when its a BIG name player or school involved.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Days Won:  0

There would have to big some medical evidence of a downturn in her condition for the NCAA to even consider it.  I mean, she's had it since he was in the 5th grade so if he has only now decided he needs to be closer to her after 3 failed season at UF he will need to prove that something has changed.

I know a few people who have Lupus....and they lead rather normal lives.

...if it's the latter then I say TFB.

Lupus Deaths on the Rise in US

Deaths from Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE, or lupus) have risen sharply in recent years, according to a report issued earlier this year by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The article, published in the Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), noted that the number of lupus deaths between 1979 and 1998 rose from 879 to 1406. The most significant finding was that lupus deaths among African-American women between 45 and 64 years of age rose 70% in the 20-year period.

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

Riley seeks to play for Bulls this season

By Compiled from staff and wire reports

Published January 14, 2006

"Coming closer to home was real important for me," said the 6-foot-3, 290-pound Riley, who will seek an NCAA hardship waiver to avoid sitting out this fall, as he would have to under regular transfer rules. "I love the University of Florida, and I'd love to stay there. I just think I should be closer to my mom."

- GREG AUMAN, Times staff writer

feel terrible for he and his mom.....but makes me sick to read a bull say i love uf.....excuse me while i go vomit my breakfast.