• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defensive Tackle Julian Riley Enrolls at USF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Courtesy USF SID Office

Defensive Tackle Julian Riley Enrolls at USF

(January 13, 2006) Julian Riley, a former all-state player at Lakewood High School in St. Petersburg, Fla. and a defensive tackle on the University of Florida roster from 2003-05, has transferred to USF and enrolled in spring classes. Riley, 6-3, 290, will be able to participate in the spring season although he must sit out the 2006 fall schedule. He will have one season of eligibility at USF in 2007.

As a defensive end at Lakewood in 2002, Riley had 17 sacks and he was ranked the eighth best strongside defensive end in the south by rivals.com. Riley also played offensive tackle in high school and was accomplished in track & field, wrestling and basketball. He was a high school teammate of USF offensive tackle Thed Watson.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

He will help us on the inside for that season ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

He will help us out on the practice squad.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ha...considering he never got off of it at UF, this could be true.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

did this guy play at UF?

is he a walk on?

thed watson is bringing the playa's, we should hire him to recruit

I asked about him, this is what I got.

He was recruited by UF and committed very early to the team.

After which he blew his knee out and it required surgery.

His freshman year at UF he dressed for one game, used his redshirt. Was on the scout team

His Sophomore year he played multiple positions on the defensive side of the ball. Didn't dress, was on the scout team.

This past season he worked scout and dressed for all games. Saw game action against one of the 1st two games (He didn't remember). (RS SO season)

Heard he is a good kid, doesn't like to be told what to do on the field, and has problems with authority. However, he has never gotten into any major trouble off the field.

I just don't like bring in players for one season.

This past season he was at odds with coaches on a number of issues. Was on the scout team only.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

there are some interesting developments with julian riley. i talked to him this afternoon, and he said the main reason he transferred was because his mother is very sick with lupus and he wants to be closer to her.

and because of that, he's petitioning the NCAA to grant him a hardship waiver, removing the year he would normally have to sit out, allowing him to play this year.

if it sounds familiar, it is. this time last year, Danny Muy left Nebraska and landed at USF, saying he wanted to be closer to his mother, who was battling cancer in Tallahassee. Muy ended up leaving school after only a few days -- think he's at FIU now. i worry that Muy's situation and the way it worked out make me too skeptical of this situation, unfairly so.

anyway, riley is on scholarship. what's interesting is that he isn't even sure which side of the ball he'll play at USF. apparently urban meyer switched him to offensive guard his last month at UF, but because the gators have closed practices, nobody ever knew about it. usf called him a defensive tackle in their release, and i'd imagine that's where he'll play -- he'd never played offensive line before december. he still speaks very highly of the gators, wishes he could finish his career there but wants to be closer to his mother.

anyway, just some interesting new details about his transfer. i'll probably post most of this stuff on the blog as well, so i apologize if it looks familiar then ...

greg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks Greg, that is great insight..

Bulls fans can visit Greg's Blog by clicking here.

Greg, NCAA Rule 14.5.5.2 should give him the exemption. I feel more confident knowing we'd have the kid for 2 years.

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

A little late to be poring over the NCAA bylaws, but I don't see anything that speaks to his specific situation. USF's compliance folks know what they're doing, so if there's a viable chance to gain that waiver, they'll pursue it. I wasn't able to talk with them Friday, so I'm not sure how realistic this waiver is.

greg