• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Re: Cub fans have a new goat!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

What the heck happened??? I wasn't really watching the game, especially after I saw the cubs were up 3-0 with Prior mowing 'em down.  Geez I beleive that could be classified as a choke job, six outs away from the world seires and you let them drop 8?!?!  in an inning.  WOW!  

AHHH  :o :o ;D ;D  That's too much.... so what's the over/under on the # of beers that kid is currently wearing? 20, 50, 10,000??

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

If the play was so **** obvious to everyone else in the stadium, why didn't somebody just shove this guy out of the way? Oops! Turns out they didn't see Alou coming either. That's what the guy who sat next to the fan said. And guess what? HE'S getting hate mail too.

You've got to wonder about people who'll harass a fire station because a guy who works there sat next to a guy who accidentally made a play that cost the team one out immediately before they imploded.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Very sad!  Meanwhile, i had a friend of mine call me(from chicago, while the cubs were leading the game  HAHA) last night complaining about pedro and how classless the whole yankee and red sox nations are... LOL...   something about a pot and a kettle comes to mind.

• Topic Count:  1,148
  • Content Count:  6,502

But did you see the number of other fans going for the foul ball also?   I believe FOX sports counted 9 other fans all around this guy going after the ball.  I am sure no USF fan would sink as low as some of the Chicago fans.  Would they guys?  Would they?

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511

I put this in another posting, but it aplies here as well.

BTW, leave that Cubs fan alone.  The ball was going out of bounds.  If you have ever gone to a baseball game, you will know that everyone reacts to a foul ball.  Some want to get a game ball, and some just want to protect themselves from getting hit by a ball.  The courts have proven that teams are not liable for fans that are hit by balls.

Case in point.  The first case study in my business law class at USF was about a fan suing the New York Mets, a.k.a. the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club.  The fan (do not rember the fan's gender) got hit by a foul ball, and the fan sued the team because it was a painful injury.  I do not remember the exact details, but the courts said tough luck, you knew the risk when you entered the park, and you get zero money.

So I bet most people would do the same thing.  Would you take a baseball in the eye for a very rich professional team that will not compensate you for your pain?  Nope.  I would duck, try to catch the ball, or swat the thing out of my way.  I really would not take a shattered eye socket for any team, even for the USF Bulls.

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Hightech is right. The idiots who are saying "he just wanted a souvenir" -- which include the Governor of Illinois -- are wrong. This wasn't about getting a souvenir, it was about not getting a concussion. It wasn't even a conscious decision -- it was human instinct. And again, EVERY other fan in the area reacted the same way.

I would have grabbed the ball, i'm sure, its the NLCS, excitement in the air...  instincts defnitely overrule any common sense.

people backed away the next game because they saw the stigma attached to that one kid... they didn't want to be the "goat" too.  

I'm failry certain that would have happened in any ball park in any game.  Its instinct to want a souivenier and it takes some quick thinking to distinguish whether or not the situation warrants backing off.  Much easier to back off if a big controversy just happened the night before regarding not backing off.  The ball could have landed 10 rows up and people would back off on the last game.

The people also backed off because it was a line drive if I remember correctly.  I'm gonna backoff/dodge a line drive into the stands, anyone halfway sane would.