• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

2005-06 Schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

buldad- did you get thru to either school?

dabull80- playing a great schedule can only help program and players

we are 2 AD's short so this scheduling might be put on backburner further

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Whats our current schedule for 05-06? Has it been determined wether the UCF games count as our football game vs CUSA? Will the BE stand pat at 8 teams for 05,06. If so we will need games.

I would think that the UCF game WILL be our CUSA games since no one else in the league is dying to continue playing us.

FUTURE BULLS FOOTBALL GAMES:

September 3, 2005 at Penn State

September 17, 2005 UCF at HOME

September 16, 2006 at UCF

September 15, 2007 at Auburn

September 13, 2008 at Florida

September 5, 2009 at Florida

We will have 7 BE games and that leaves 2 open spaces as far as I can see . . .  ::) Let's get these scheduled !

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

They should play both

Leavitt has said over and over again...he wants as many non-conf games to be played at HOME...even if it means playing Div I-AA Games...or not even playing a 12th game when allowed (aka 2002 and 2003 seasons).

From St Pete Times:

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Sep 29, 2001

South Florida's home opener is at 7 tonight at Raymond James Stadium against North Texas.

So why aren't you excited?

We know, North Texas doesn't exactly kindle your college football- craving embers like, say, Texas does. Or even Southern Miss or East Carolina or Louisville, all future Conference USA rivals.

With the Bulls not starting conference play until 2003, North Texas is part of a mishmash schedule this season and next.

But what will it look like in the future, 2003 and beyond? Will the Bulls' nonconference slate - typically three games a year - feature I-A bantamweights like North Texas, or teams like defending national champion Oklahoma, which USF plays next season?

Athletic director Lee Roy Selmon said it likely will be some combination of good, bad and in between.

"We might want to play high-profile teams, we might want to play competitive opponents in a home-and-home," said Selmon, who added that C-USA likely will have input into USF's nonconference schedule. "There are a lot of factors involved and (the scheduling philosophy) can vary.

"We're going to take a little time soon to come up with a strategy."

Coach Jim Leavitt has one request for nonconference games: play them at Raymond James Stadium.

"I'd want them all home games," Leavitt said. "Whoever wants to come in here and play, because I think we owe that to the community.

"You figure you have eight games in the conference: four away, four home. So you want to (add the three nonconference games to) have seven games at home so the people in Tampa can watch you play."

USF has seven home games this season. To get seven on an annual basis, the Bulls would have to sacrifice quality because, like Leavitt, almost everyone wants to play at home for the obvious reasons: comfort, familiarity, revenue, etc.

USF could secure home-and-home series with mid-tier opponents such as North Carolina or Missouri (Leavitt's alma mater), which would mean playing fewer than seven home games some seasons.

Top-shelf programs such as Oklahoma hold the power and would be unlikely to do a home-and-home, though USF's warm locale is a lure. The Bulls might be willing to travel for one-shot deals to the power- and-tradition schools, such as Ohio State and Tennessee, for the exposure and because teams like the Buckeyes and Volunteers can offer nonconference foes an appearance fee.

Selmon's ties to Oklahoma - he was an All-American for the Sooners - and Leavitt's relationship with OU coach Bob Stoops, from when they were co-defensive coordinators at Kansas State, helped the Bulls secure a trip to Norman.

Would Oklahoma ever come here?

"Well, we don't have anything in writing, but as we continue to grow there might be an opportunity to reciprocate," Selmon said. "A lot of schools like to recruit in this area, so playing here helps them."

North Texas (0-3) isn't one of those schools; the Mean Green has no Floridians on its roster. The Bulls (1-2) are favored for the first time this season, by 12 points, but don't expect North Texas to blanch: USF is the weakest opponent it has played.

The Mean Green has lost at TCU, Oklahoma and Texas Tech, the closest defeat being 14 points (TCU). North Texas tasted a spread offense similar to USF's in its 42-14 loss to Texas Tech as Red Raiders quarterback Kliff Kingsbury threw 46 times.

"It's going to be one heck of a ballgame. I've said that for the first three weeks and I don't think I've been wrong," said Leavitt, whose team has lost two games that came down to the final play. "It very well could come down to the last play again."

[illustration]

Caption: Athletic director Lee Roy Selmon; Photo: PHOTO, TONI L. SANDYS

Reproduced with permission of the copyright owner. Further reproduction or distribution is prohibited without permission.

People:   Selmon, Lee Roy,  Leavitt, Jim

Companies:   Raymond James Stadium

Dateline:   TAMPA

Section:   SPORTS

Text Word Count   625

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

All OOC games played at home is known as the "K-State scheduling ".

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

The reason I'm "!" on the subject because it seems that we ALWAYS seem to have scheduling issues.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

we will always have scheduling issues until

we prove to be a big national draw and even then we will have issues from time to time

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

All OOC games played at home is known as the "K-State scheduling ".

Didn't Leavitt come to South Florida from Kansas St??

I thought he did.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

K_L...I think its obvious that Coach Leavit has taken a page from the success of Coach Bill Snyder K-State and from the wisdom which your own FB HC O'Leary wants to practice.  One tuff game and the rest 2-3 OOCGs being "lightweights" @home.  That's how K-State rose from the ashes of nothing besides chasing JCs.  If the UCF's AD wooda recognized & practiced this wisdom early, the Knights would of never of let USF blow by them for a BCS conference.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

vg- your brain is  the best search engine

fsu did fine with "play anyone anytime,anywhere mentality"

usf is too hung up on playing a  magic number of games home at the risk playing a bad schedule

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

The last time FSU had less than 6 home games was 1997(5 home,6 away) before that it was 1983.

I do agree the 6 home games do allow higher chance at revenues n winning.It is very important to establish yourself as a winning program.I think playing 1 well known team a yr away in out of conference should be the goal more than that would make it more difficult to win games.