• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

South Florida Welcomes Stetson For Student Night

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  777
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

You are so big on her and I'm not saying that she isn't good, but Carla should be starting and the first two games have shown that. She provides the energy and spark that this team needs. 

I am not saying she should not be starting. Carla is a good player when she is not doing stupid things. And I know that I am not the only person who has thought that. In the post game interview with CJF, he mentions that very concern. He specifically stated that Carla kept her game simple and did well. And that is exactly how I have felt about her game since last year. She can put up very good numbers if she keeps her game simple instead of trying to do things that is simply not a part of her game. I was actually surprised by the comments that CJF made about Carla because it shows that my objective observations were accurate, whereas some people here, because she is their favorite player, were being too defensive of her. Last year, Tsineke was my favorite player, yet I was very critical of her ball-handling and turning the ball over too many times. Her decision-making was often very bad in trying to dribble through 2 or 3 players and turning it over. You can have a favorite player, but you should be critical and objective of that player. And I believe that coach was spot on with that assessment of Carla. Keep it simple and your stat line improves and the team does better.

Another surprising comment he made was that Alvarez was forced to play the point late in the game because Wilson was in foul trouble and Blasigh was having a bad game. He then made a shocking comment, which was that they have no other point guard right now. Asensio is not a point guard? He went from singing her praises 2 weeks ago to now saying he does not have another PG? What about Aarnio at the point? She is the quickest player on the team that can run an effective up-tempo game. Based on film, she has the skills and quickness to get by defenders and drive and finish at the hoop. I don't see practices and I am not in the locker room; but if things are this bad at the point guard position, maybe Aarnio should be given the opportunity at that position. Coach talks about how well she defends, and I am guessing that it why she got a lot of minutes in the 4th quarter yesterday. But she is a better player offensively that Wilson.

Coach also mentioned better play from the 5 position. And I agree with this also. I thought that Emma was not aggressive in rebounding. There were quite a few plays where smaller Stetson players outrebounded her. She also needs to work on her post moves. She has an odd move to the basket where she sorts of swings her left-handed layup from down low and shoves it to the hoop. She needs to develop a shot that comes from over the top. The move she uses now will not cut it at this level. Mputu, is athletic but has not shown anything yet. And Evelien has looked good in patches and bad in others.

Blasigh, while having a good first game, looked awful. She went 2-9 on open shots, including shooting an airball 5 feet from the basket. I was hesitant to get too excited after her first game because of highlights that I had seen of her playing in Italy. I saw some worrisome things in her offensive game. She also has 6 turnovers on the season.

Coach, I know you are not happy right now and you stated that you need to try some different things. How about Aarnio at the point?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  777
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I am not saying she should not be starting. Carla is a good player when she is not doing stupid things. And I know that I am not the only person who has thought that. In the post game interview with CJF, he mentions that very concern. He specifically stated that Carla kept her game simple and did well. And that is exactly how I have felt about her game since last year. She can put up very good numbers if she keeps her game simple instead of trying to do things that is simply not a part of her game. I was actually surprised by the comments that CJF made about Carla because it shows that my objective observations were accurate, whereas some people here, because she is their favorite player, were being too defensive of her. Last year, Tsineke was my favorite player, yet I was very critical of her ball-handling and turning the ball over too many times. Her decision-making was often very bad in trying to dribble through 2 or 3 players and turning it over. You can have a favorite player, but you should be critical and objective of that player. And I believe that coach was spot on with that assessment of Carla. Keep it simple and your stat line improves and the team does better.

Another surprising comment he made was that Alvarez was forced to play the point late in the game because Wilson was in foul trouble and Blasigh was having a bad game. He then made a shocking comment, which was that they have no other point guard right now. Asensio is not a point guard? He went from singing her praises 2 weeks ago to now saying he does not have another PG? What about Aarnio at the point? She is the quickest player on the team that can run an effective up-tempo game. Based on film, she has the skills and quickness to get by defenders and drive and finish at the hoop. I don't see practices and I am not in the locker room; but if things are this bad at the point guard position, maybe Aarnio should be given the opportunity at that position. Coach talks about how well she defends, and I am guessing that it why she got a lot of minutes in the 4th quarter yesterday. But she is a better player offensively that Wilson.

Coach also mentioned better play from the 5 position. And I agree with this also. I thought that Emma was not aggressive in rebounding. There were quite a few plays where smaller Stetson players outrebounded her. She also needs to work on her post moves. She has an odd move to the basket where she sorts of swings her left-handed layup from down low and shoves it to the hoop. She needs to develop a shot that comes from over the top. The move she uses now will not cut it at this level. Mputu, is athletic but has not shown anything yet. And Evelien has looked good in patches and bad in others.

Blasigh, while having a good first game, looked awful. She went 2-9 on open shots, including shooting an airball 5 feet from the basket. I was hesitant to get too excited after her first game because of highlights that I had seen of her playing in Italy. I saw some worrisome things in her offensive game. She also has 6 turnovers on the season.

Coach, I know you are not happy right now and you stated that you need to try some different things. How about Aarnio at the point?

Can anyone honestly tell me after watching these highlights of Aarnio that having her involved in running the point will not improve this team tremendously?

Just now, panchosanchez99 said:

Can anyone honestly tell me after watching these highlights of Aarnio that having her involved in running the point will not improve this team tremendously?