• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First Basketball Game Notes.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

7 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Just out of curiosity, has USF MBB ever been ranked? If so, when? 

Never in the AP according to this

WWW.SPORTS-REFERENCE.COM

Check out South Florida's Complete College AP Polls History and More About College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

2 minutes ago, olafberserker said:

Never in the AP according to this

WWW.SPORTS-REFERENCE.COM

Check out South Florida's Complete College AP Polls History and More About College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Thanks. Was thinking CSH may have had them ranked briefly, but I guess not.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

7 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Thanks. Was thinking CSH may have had them ranked briefly, but I guess not.

I want to say that we almost cracked it in the 1991-1992 season. We played 6 ranked teams in the regular season. We opened the season 8-1 with big wins over UF, FSU, and Iowa (ranked 23rd). At that point, based on points received, I think we were 3 spots outside the top 25. Then we faced Cincinnati at home in a sold out Sun Dome. We lost by 20 and did not get closer that year. We finished the season at 19-8 and then lost in the first round of the conference tournament. We received a bid to the NCAA tournament based on strength of schedule. We played 6 ranked teams in the regular season that year and won 3 of them (beating #22 Charlotte and #15 Tulane later in the season). The 3 losses to ranked teams were the first 2 times we played Charlotte and Tulane and a loss to #25 Louisville. We would later beat Louisville but they had dropped out of the rankings by that time. We then lost to a ranked Georgetown team in the first round. To my recollection, that season represented the closest we have been to being ranked.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

20 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Does this team have anyone who is a threat to score in the low post?  There will be games where we have to grind it out and having a low post threat will be key.

modern basketball coaches realize using a traditional post player only clogs the lane and stifles an offense.

there is a reason why teams like purdue with a dominant post player get knocked out of the ncaa tourney early while teams like fau, houston, san diego state make deep runs.

it's also why the nba doesn't want zach edey

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

modern basketball coaches realize using a traditional post player only clogs the lane and stifles an offense.

there is a reason why teams like purdue with a dominant post player get knocked out of the ncaa tourney early while teams like fau, houston, san diego state make deep runs.

it's also why the nba doesn't want zach edey

What do you mean by a dominant post player? I am afraid I don't understand. Purdue lost because they played poorly. Edey scored 21 on 7-11 shooting, had 15 rebounds and 3 blocks. The rest of the team shot 28%, including 19% from deep (5-26). They turned the ball over 16 times compared to 9 for FDU. Are you saying Edey will not be drafted?

Also San Diego State played with a 6'10" center and FAU with a 7'1 center.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

23 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Does this team have anyone who is a threat to score in the low post?  There will be games where we have to grind it out and having a low post threat will be key.

Haven't seen anyone through 2 games.  Could be an Achilles heal come conference play