• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball win total this year?

Basketball win total this year?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

14 hours ago, bcgruber said:

went to the practice yesterday and was wondering what everyone projects as the starting 5  This is based on talent  Atitude might bring many changes

G Selton Miguel G SG Jose Placer Chris Youngblood C Corey Walker F David Ogunleye 

2nd Team PG Jayden Reid SF PF Sam Hines Kasen Jennings PF Brandon Stroud G Kobe Knox Gerald Jones

55 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Why do you think Ogunleye over Jones? And why is Pryor not included in your top 10?

Could be based on what he saw at the practice .... ?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, panchosanchez99 said:

25-4 to finish the regular season.

braxton family values GIF by WE tv

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, panchosanchez99 said:

25-4 to finish the regular season.

I thought 6 wins for football was crazy talk before the season but, although not there yet, looks at least doable .... so I didn't do a knee jerk reaction to 25-4. After putting a little more thought into it ....... it's crazy talk .... without at least seeing this hodge podge of a team play a handful of games. Out of the first 5, only Hofstra was decent last year with an NIT invite and one win. They roll through those and I can at least understand, if not totally agree with, some unbridled optimism.

Do hope you've nailed it, though ....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  779
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, flsportsfan83 said:

braxton family values GIF by WE tv

The reasons for the optimism are based on several factors. First, we appear to have a weaker schedule than last year. Second, and more important, this squad is a much better shooting squad than those of the previous coach. Gone are the days of recruiting and starting guards that shoot 40-50% from the charity stripe. Gone are the days of guards that shoot 10-20% from deep. They lost 9 games last year by 6 points or less. Imagine how many games we could have won with better shooters like we have this year. Gone are the days of Jamir Chaplin and Caleb Murphy.

Third, not only do I think that we will see much better play from the guard position, but I also think we will see better play from the forwards and center position. I have mentioned many times before about Tchewa's inability to protect the rim. At 7' tall, he managed just 8 blocks last year and 6 the year before. Again, when you are looking at the number of losses by just a few points, the inability to protect the rim could decide between winning or losing.

11 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I thought 6 wins for football was crazy talk before the season but, although not there yet, looks at least doable .... so I didn't do a knee jerk reaction to 25-4. After putting a little more thought into it ....... it's crazy talk .... without at least seeing this hodge podge of a team play a handful of games. Out of the first 5, only Hofstra was decent last year with an NIT invite and one win. They roll through those and I can at least understand, if not totally agree with, some unbridled optimism.

Do hope you've nailed it, though ....

See my post about my reasons for optimism. We lost 9 games last year by 6 points or less. If we had won those games, we would have had 23 wins.

41 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Could be based on what he saw at the practice .... ?

That was my point. I would like him to elaborate on what he saw to draw the conclusions that he did.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

7 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

See my post about my reasons for optimism. We lost 9 games last year by 6 points or less. If we had won those games, we would have had 23 wins.

****. We should have kept Gregory after all. He was so close to making the NCAAT last year. lol

9 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Last year:

1. In the 3-pt loss to SEMO, we shot 47% from the FT and and 21% from deep. Tchewa had 1 block.

2. In the 1-pt loss to Stetson, we shot 54% from the FT and Tchewa had no blocks.

3. In the 2-pt loss to Austin Peay, we shot a respectable 70% from the FT but shot 29% from deep, while they shot 41% on many more attempts. Tchewa had no blocks. You can call it an anomaly with how well Austin Peay shot from deep, but if we could have hit one or 2 more from deep, then it could have been a different outcome. This squad is a much better shooting team from deep.

4. In the 6-pt loss to UMass, we shot 65% (13-20) from the FT and 25% (4-16) from deep. Tchewa had 1 block.

5. In the 4-pt loss to Temple, we shot 58% from the FT and 23% from deep. Tchewa had no blocks.

6. In the 4-pt loss to Wichata St, we shot 68% from the FT and 17% (4-23) from deep. Tchewa had no blocks.

7. In the 6-pt loss to Houston, we shot impressively (better than Houston did); however we turned the ball over 11 more times than they did and the whole team had 0 blocks.

8. In the 3-pt loss to Temple, we shot 38% (8-21) from the FT and Tchewa had no blocks. 

9. In the 2-pt loss to SMU, we shot 69% from FT and 33% from deep and Tchewa had no blocks. The shooting was decent; the problem was that SMU shot 44% from deep.

So, to recap, in 9 games, Tchewa managed just 2 blocks. And it is not like he is not getting blocks but is altering a lot shots. He was not even attempting to block shots. I got tired of seeing guards driving to the hoop and scoring as Tchewa did nothing to protect the rim. 

And look at how poorly we shot in those games from the free throw line and from deep. Except for one of those games, it was horrible. If we could have hit a couple more free throws and a couple more 3 pointers, which would have still been horrible shooting, we could have had 9 more wins last year.

I know some of you think I just pull stuff out of nowhere, but I typically look at things in great depth to draw my conclusions. I hope that what I presented here brings optimism to all.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,468
  • Days Won:  19

17 hours ago, olafberserker said:

That would still be 17 regular season wins .... 🤣

You can't see the implied words?

17 regular season wins, plus possibly more wins in the postseason

50 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I appreciate the optimism but we lost those 9 games by 6 points or less with 5 completely different starters than last year. If we were just plugging in a better all round player than Tchewa, I could better understand the thought process .... again, hope you're right.