• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tampa Bay Times

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

My mom has a physical paper subscription and last week she sent me a picture of their article, something along the lines of “Alabama losing in week 2 won’t bode well for USF.” She doesn’t even follow sports but she was surprised they’d write an article like that.

Today, I went over and looked at the paper. FSU got an article for beating unranked Boston College by 2, and Missouri got an article for upsetting K-State. That’s it.

Wtf Tampa Bay Times?? How about the unranked hometown team that was tied with Alabama until the 3rd quarter? The team that was supposed to be a “practice game” for Nick Saban but ended up taking years off his life? The team in your backyard??

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,783
  • Days Won:  3

Front Page of the sports EXTRA section, below the fold: "There are no moral victories" pretty good coverage of the game. What are you looking for, front page eight-column piece with multiple photos of a 17-3 loss? The local team lost - DID NOT BEAT, DID NOT UPSET - a ranked opponent at home. Maybe some color shots of the volume of crimson shirts in the stands would have added some perspective, but if you're looking for coverage, it's there. If you're looking for cheerleading - it's here.  Lots of college coverage. :iconic_u_black:

Edited by WoolyBully
reference

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

7 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Front Page of the sports EXTRA section, below the fold: "There are no moral victories" pretty good coverage of the game. What are you looking for, front page eight-column piece with multiple photos of a 17-3 loss? The local team lost - DID NOT BEAT, DID NOT UPSET - a ranked opponent at home. Maybe some color shots of the volume of crimson shirts in the stands would have added some perspective, but if you're looking for coverage, it's there. If you're looking for cheerleading - it's here.  Lots of college coverage. :iconic_u_black:

Yeah, don't know what the OP was looking at but we got front page coverage,with #3 FSU's win pushed back to page 7. Would have been very very interesting to see the front page if we had pulled off the upset ....

Just now, Triple B said:

interesting to see the front page if we had pulled off the upset ....

It would have been clipped and shoved into WB's "interesting USF stuff" box in the hall closet. 

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  114
  • Days Won:  0

18 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

In that case I apologize TBT… would you mind posting a pic for me? I’ve gone through the entire paper multiple times and can’t find the extra section.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,711
  • Days Won:  424

7 minutes ago, Bullfrog said:

In that case I apologize TBT… would you mind posting a pic for me? I’ve gone through the entire paper multiple times and can’t find the extra section.

You are good if all you're going by is the physical paper, at least for me. Ol' tech savvy Trip has been reading the e-newspaper edition for years now and that's where I got my info. The print version has no later game info at all, including ours, the Gators and the Rays. Don't know if there's different print versions depending on how far you are from their printing plant so maybe WB got a complete printed version. Here's my e-front page ....

Untitled.thumb.jpg.ffb46bb81e9e8105e18f1df084a7cb59.jpg

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

53 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

This would ring a lot less hollow if they seemed to be anti editorializing in general but they aren’t there is a lot of weighted language and comments they like to use and only draw the line at being positive towards us.

• Topic Count:  79
  • Content Count:  2,980
  • Days Won:  2

Had we pulled off the upset, the narrative would be what is wrong with Bama?  Not look at this great USF team that has finally arrived.  That's how it works.  Both locally and nationally.    

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Don't know if there's different print versions depending on how far you are from their printing plant so maybe WB got a complete printed version.

Pretty sure the agreement is (a) fully digital or (b) digital with physical on Wednesday & Friday.  There are different e-versions depending on market (e.g., Pasco, Hernando, etc.). And there is different content between the digital and print editions, with much more content online. 

2 minutes ago, Cat941 said:

Not look at this great USF team that has finally arrived.  That's how it works.  Both locally and nationally.    

Yes, because when you've had four abysmal losing seasons, pulling the upset - after losing to G5 Western Kentucky - might not necessarily be the "finally arrived" marker. The news is P(x), everybody else - get in line. Tomorrow, 'Bama QB consternation will be the topic on the airwaves / podcasts, not USF's field goal. 😎

• Like 1