• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hire Huggins!!!

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

S Bien... I'll personally volunteer to be Huggins do-boy if it will get us at least to where Greenberg left us. So ironic... you guys run Greenberg out of town... he goes to a program destined for failure... and he wins a COY award in the toughest conference in the nation last season, as well as an NIT bid. He's got a junior dominated, Seth recruited squad now that will actually make some waves in the ACC. And this is in basketball heaven Blacksburg. You guys crack me up. Last year I made an appeal to get Huggins here. He wins... he has recruits not signing LOI's waiting to see where he goes. Obviously the money was there to sign Leavitt to a second extension. If you place Huggins at the Sun Dome, basketball would average 8000 fans a game. People want to see a coach like Huggins (love him or hate him - they will show up). Contributions will increase... we shoot low... that is what is wrong with USF. Why chase an assistant when you can lock the real deal down for 10 years. Hugs has at least 10 years left in him. Talk about a wise investment. Or we can recruit another UF assistant to run the program and watch him fail as miserable as RMC (another UF product).

You said those two cats were better than BB and Altron. What a joke. I need to smoke some of that tweed...  ;D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

Seriously, CRM is great teacher and seemingly nice guy but  we've come up empty in recruiting.

Do you think we lose to FIU and Corpus Christi with Moseley, Howard, and Dennis playing? I think it's too early to fairly judge his overall recruiting EXCEPT for the lack of bodies .......

Injuries or not he has to take responsibilities for not having  a full roster.

I agree completely but I don't believe they've forfeited any future games because of a lack of players. Why not wait and see how the season shapes on the court before all this bashing. Admittedly, it doesn't look good but it didn't look good for us to go the conference semis last year either ....

You said those two cats were better than BB and Altron. What a joke. I need to smoke some of that tweed...  ;D

That wasn't Bien, that was me and that was just a nonsensical jab at the ******* who thought himself a big Bulls fan while booing and screamng at our players and coaches ......

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

So S.Bien thinks we should keep McCullum around b/c 'he's a good man'. Please pull your tounge out of his arse S.Bien. I don't care if he's the second coming of Abraham Lincoln; he's failed to show he is a good basketball coach.  You state he is a great teacher and blah blah blah....I don't want a good teacher, I want a good coach and a NCAA tourney appearance. Intangibles? Kind of vague for a master debator such as yourself. At least you quit with the Miami b.s.

I'm not whining, I'm stating the obvious; but most of the forum crowd wants to bring in another assistant after McCullum gets fired. Great, let's have another 5yrs of absolute embarrassment (that's what conference play will be) while a newbie coach learns the ropes.

I would rather get Huggins on the cheap (relative) than overpay (relative) an assistant and watch him struggle. McCullum has this year, that's all. If we're the laughing stock of the BE, he needs to move on and be an assistant=a good teacher.

Triple_B- Yes we still would lose to Texas CC with Moseley, Howard, and Dennis playing. Texas CC is a way better team than USF. USF played a good game against them. And why is it too early to judge his recruiting? He's playing with walk-ons! Give me a break, he hasn't signed one good recruit since he's been here. Wake up people. Injuries are no excuse. A coach gets paid to win, plain and simple. I think 3yrs is ample time to see where the program is headed, i.e. Greenberg at VTech.

Posted earlier by Darth: "Frankly, I'd rather keep losing than hire Huggins. We can do much better for less money and less damage to our reputation.....and like someone mentioned we couldn't afford his liquor bill. "

- This sums it up guys. You are content with losing, I'm not. Our reputation? What reputation? We are a joke. Much better for less money? Not on this planet.

This post's purpose was to bring into light that Huggins was on the market and wants to coach somewhere. It wasn't about attacking McCullum. From what I hear, he's a good person and I wish him the best of luck at whatever school he moves on to.

Rueben

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Why can't you understand that a lot of people don't want Huggins?  We all want to win, but not at any price (and I don't mean money).  Huggins baggage is enough for a lot of people were to say they don't want him.

As to whether RMC can recruit well.  I would agree he hasn't shown it at this point.  I also imagine that right now, USF is a hard place to recruit to.  We may need a high profile guy to get recruits interested, but that could be an assistant.  Quinn Snyder and I believe Billy Donovan were both assistants before their current jobs.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

I do understand that a lot of people don't want Huggins, that's obvious. Other obvious observations are that a lot of people don't care that the basketball team is terrible and don't care about its future.

Quit acting like Huggins is Bobby Knight. Huggins doesn't choke players, throw chairs, yell at fans etc. The man got a DUI...he made a mistake, and now he's paying for it. So he recruits some less than model citizens too -- Does Leavitt ever do that?

And lay off the 'I think they were assistants before'. Every coach was an assistant at some point. Lame excuse to not pony up for a proven coach.

Huggins would pack the Sundome, recruit the Northeast, turn the program around, and be a model citizen throughout the process. I lived in Cincinnati, I saw what he did to the program.

Rueben

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I do understand that a lot of people don't want Huggins, that's obvious. Other obvious observations are that a lot of people don't care that the basketball team is terrible and don't care about its future.

There is not any connection between not wanting  Huggins and whether we care about our basketball team or not.  In fact, if one is responding to this thread, then it's safe to assume that one care's about our basketball team.

Quit acting like Huggins is Bobby Knight. Huggins doesn't choke players, throw chairs, yell at fans etc. The man got a DUI...he made a mistake, and now he's paying for it. So he recruits some less than model citizens too -- Does Leavitt ever do that?

The a lot of Huggins recruits have been, "less than model citizens".

And lay off the 'I think they were assistants before'. Every coach was an assistant at some point. Lame excuse to not pony up for a proven coach.

I said they were assistants just prior to their current gigs.  Not that they were assistants at one time.

Huggins would pack the Sundome, recruit the Northeast, turn the program around, and be a model citizen throughout the process. I lived in Cincinnati, I saw what he did to the program.

This is all speculation on your part.  You assume he would pack the Sundome.  You assume he would recruit the Northeast well for USF.  Your biggest assumption is that he would be a model citizen the whole time.

Triple_B- Yes we still would lose to Texas CC with Moseley, Howard, and Dennis playing. Texas CC is a way better team than USF.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that. I think those 3 would have made up for a 12 point loss.

And why is it too early to judge his recruiting? .............

Mattis, Buckley, Richardson, Howard, Dennis, Cann, Markusovic are all too early to judge, realistically ....... Holmes and Jones are having great starts ....... Moseley was a good recruit. He has had a few duds so far, Sills, Waters, etc but overall, the jury is still out. I don't want to hear about not having any "name" recruits. "Names" don't win ball games, players do.

A coach gets paid to win, plain and simple

And CRM is 7-3 in his last 10 games with victories over 2 Top 25 teams, so if winning is the bottom line, why are we having this discussion NOW?   ;)

I know it's because you want Huggins in here and I really wouldn't be averse to that in a couple of years if CRM doesn't get it done.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Mattis, Buckley, Richardson, Howard, Dennis, Cann, Markusovic are all too early to judge, realistically ....... Holmes and Jones are having great starts ....... Moseley was a good recruit. He has had a few duds so far, Sills, Waters, etc but overall, the jury is still out. I don't want to hear about not having any "name" recruits. "Names" don't win ball games, players do.

Totally agree, look at what Florida has done this year with a roster composed of guys that fit Donavon's system. That is what I am looking for here, and CRM has not recruited the bodies to help fill the lane as well as I like. Further our PG was a freaking walk on on the Florida team, I have no problem with that, I just don't think thats a top noch starter for a BE program...

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

SCBullsfan-

I agree that it is speculation (technically speaking) that Huggins would pack the Sundome.  Thanks for the clarification. Why wouldn't he pack the Sundome?

'Just prior to their current gigs'.

- Again, this is weak...semantics. What is your point?

Triple_B-

Good point on the 7-3 record, and I completely agree on the 'name' recruits. I was optimistic (honestly) coming into this year, but the loss to FIU and the amount of walk-on's on the team makes me sick; as it reflects his recruiting skills in my opinion.

Winning is the bottom line as you stated, but winning 7 out of 10 to finish with 5 conference wins all season is not improvement unless you can bring that momentum into the new season. Let's not confuse a short-lived winning streak with success. The sun shines on a dog's butt some days...twice last year in the tourney to be specific.

Rueben