• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How You Are Hurting My Beloved Alma Mater

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I need a refresher here, seriously. Outside of the abortion on the goal line Saturday, what are these numerous other scoring chances that were flushed down the toilet this year because of play calling, not execution?

I'm really not averse to getting new blood in there but most of the  :-X's ******** about Smith also ***** about PJ .....

I guess we need to run an offense that is predicated on balls thrown too high or too low, one that can somehow take advantage of dropped balls by the wr's. We could be a trend setter in college football if we figure out how to make this work ....

I'm not saying our play execution is blameless.  But everyone on here knows that PJ and Courtney Denson are not the second coming of Mike Vick.  And yet, with the season on the line, a trick reverse from Denson TO PJ was the best we could do?

As I've said before, the Louisville game WAS a well called game, but that was due to two parts... Louisville not expecting the trickery and flawless execution on our players behalf.  But you need BOTH to be successful with that kind of stuff.  Since that game, EVERY team on our schedule has been on the alert for trickery.  How is it that UConn was stacking 8 in the box, yet PJ was blanketed when he was rolling out as a WR on that play?  UConn knew it was coming.

And it's not just UConn.  We tried the same garbage against Pitt and it was snuffed out NUMEROUS times.  We played hard-nosed, old school football against Penn State, FAMU, UCF, then brought the trickery in successfully against UL.  Since then, we've had to live and die with that stuff.  Remember against Cincy, the reverse that Amarri scored on?  That was one bad bounce away from being an abortion, but Amarri turned it into a TD because the defense bit on the initial fumble.  That was not a well drawn out play.  The only reason it went for 7 is becasue every Cincy defensive player bit on the fumble, leaving the left side of the field wide open for Amarri.  Otherwise, Amarri gets crushed in the backfield.

Over and over and OVER this trickery comes out.  We try this crap over and over because it worked once against Louisville, and now it seems like our offense is predicated on it, particularly when we fall behind.  That's crap.

And it's not just trickery.  Where are the slant passes to our tailbacks when they're putting 8-9 in the box?  Where are the split-back situations using a FB as a blocker when we need one yard... doesn't that make more sense than a double-reverse?

Our players may not be able to execute, but they're not getting the right calls TO execute on.  I'm not faulting a single USF player, because they just run the plays they're given.  The fact that Andre was left alone to block THREE UConn defenders on that double-reverse abortion shows just how poorly our OC adapts to what the defense is sending in.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

It's just a web site.  I think some of you are reading too far into it.  I think this criticism is great.  Look what this type of thing did for OUR country.  Find me another government that's been around for 200 years.  

CJL is right, this is good for our program.  People want and expect to win.  GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Remember against Cincy, the reverse that Amarri scored on?  That was one bad bounce away from being an abortion, but Amarri turned it into a TD because the defense bit on the initial fumble.  That was not a well drawn out play.  The only reason it went for 7 is becasue every Cincy defensive player bit on the fumble, leaving the left side of the field wide open for Amarri.  Otherwise, Amarri gets crushed in the backfield.

How do you know that wasn't going to be a throwback to PJ on the left side which, as you say, was wide open ........?  ::)

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

How do you know that wasn't going to be a throwback to PJ on the left side which, as you say, was wide open ........?  ::)

I'd post the video showing that PJ was nowhere NEAR the left side as a receiver, but I'd get another cease and desist letter from ESPN for using video.   ;D

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I dont see a problem with the criticism is part of the job. If you are not doing a good job then you should be called out on.

The calls at the UConn game specially at the end were horrendous.

But the facts are that our school lacks in suport and that needs to be addressed just as much as those bad calls,

So how many here on this board are season ticket holders?

How many give to the Bulls Club?

If you didnt say Yes to both those questions then you are also part of the problem.

Next question ,yes we upgraded going into BE and a BCS league, so how many here UPGRADED their giving to Bulls Club or season tickets?

Ill start

Im a season tickets from the start eventhough i live 300 miles away.

Im a paying member of the Bulls Club.

I increased my season tickets from 2 to 4 this year and will increase my Bulls Club donation.

Lets turn this into a positive an increase our suport for USF athletics rather than reduce the small amount it already has.

Go Bulls!!!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48

Man, you guys are a riot.  Some of you act like the offense operates in a vacuum and there is no defense on the field or a DC in the box.   Just changing the plays that were called doesn't guarantee that UConn wouldn't have stuffed them.  I don't see anything wrong with the call to quick snap it.  USF was simply trying to get some leverage on a UConn defense that had been stuffing the run all day.  Makes sense to me.  I don't care if you have the backup center in.  Maybe that's the better time to do it.  The trick play was simply snuffed out by good defense.  If either had worked, you guys would be lauding the call and praising the OC for his innovation....just like you did after the Louisville game.  Yes, USF should have took the field goal.  That one is on the head man himself.  He takes the three and you guys aren't even talking about the trick play.

USF has overachieved this year.  Revel in it.  Historically, there is nothing to compare to USF's success in such a short time span.  Still, that doesn't mean that you aren't going to have to pay some dues.  The UConn game is just an example of that.  You can be sure that all the coaches in the Big East who stand on the field opposite of Leavitt would just love to see him bolt to KSU.  If he doesn't leave, we'll settle for him purging the coaching staff of those  that got USF where they are.  Oh yeah, including this fan as well.

You guys are probably going to slam me for saying this but there seems to be a lot of bandwagon fans here who don't much like riding with the band.

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401

I give money and have tickets. My name is up in the new facility. You really can criticize without doing that, fans should have a voice regardless of their financial commitment. My whole point is that we should strive to be better and show more class when we are critical. I.E. no website and personal attacks (stupid is as stupid does, Rod Smith is fat). These things do not help us at all and are detrimental to the program. I've made my point and I am finished. Happy Holidays everyone.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

I don't see anything wrong with the call to quick snap it.  USF was simply trying to get some leverage on a UConn defense that had been stuffing the run all day.

You don't see anything wrong with not giving our best offensive player BAR NONE, 2 opportunities from the 1 yard line to score. I am glad you are NOT our OC. Give me a break.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  48

You don't see anything wrong with not giving our best offensive player BAR NONE, 2 opportunities from the 1 yard line to score. I am glad you are NOT our OC. Give me a break.

You mean the guy  that UConn's defense had been keying on all day?  Give ME a break.  UConn had Hall's number all day.  The only time Hall started getting some room to run is when USF's passing game started clicking.  Whatever, I'm not going to debate you all on this but I'm fairly certain I am more objective about what I saw than you are at what you saw.