• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Clearly Changes Need to be made

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Will not help us before WVU, but some things do need to change as was ably noted by many of you.  I think as USF fans we all want our team to win every game, and we all make statements and suggestions (some more vociferously than others) on here and elsewhere that we think will help our team.  Further, I do not think any fan on here is supporting or wanting mediocrity.  However, it seems to me that the fundamental difference in views is whether this program is UMiami or UF/FSU.

UMiami = lots of local talent, keep it home and you will win with a good but not great coach (Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson, Butch Davis, Coker) but missing the alumni and resources of UF/FSU.

US/FSU = lots of alumni and resources and needed a great coach (Spurrier and Bowden(yes I know some think they are not "great coaches" but I think we would all take for USF the best 10 years either of those guys had)), but had to work harder to get recruits.

I do not know the answer, but I think its interesting to wonder what we are and it explains some folks loyalty to CJL as opposed to some of the cries for Butch Davis.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

Will not help us before WVU, but some things do need to change as was ably noted by many of you.  I think as USF fans we all want our team to win every game, and we all make statements and suggestions (some more vociferously than others) on here and elsewhere that we think will help our team.  Further, I do not think any fan on here is supporting or wanting mediocrity.  However, it seems to me that the fundamental difference in views is whether this program is UMiami or UF/FSU.

UMiami = lots of local talent, keep it home and you will win with a good but not great coach (Schnellenberger, Johnson, Erickson, Butch Davis, Coker) but missing the alumni and resources of UF/FSU.

US/FSU = lots of alumni and resources and needed a great coach (Spurrier and Bowden(yes I know some think they are not "great coaches" but I think we would all take for USF the best 10 years either of those guys had)), but had to work harder to get recruits.

I do not know the answer, but I think its interesting to wonder what we are and it explains some folks loyalty to CJL as opposed to some of the cries for Butch Davis.

UM recruited all over the coutry while UF and FSU stayed with local talent. UM had QB's from all over the US and skill players from Texas and California. As far as the resources UM went to bowls as an independent and was able to pocket all of the money, they also have a wealthy far strung Alumni and they are private so they do not have to answer to the state on budget issues.

As far as coaches UMs coaches went on to careers elsewhere and did all right and they won national championships. FSU has had the same coach foreever but has not been good forever so it was not good coaching that turned them around.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,747
  • Content Count:  37,637
  • Days Won:  29

I was not happy with the Rod Smith promotion, but under the circumstances - other choices were minimal at best. I truly BULLieve we need changes with the offensive coaching staff ... will try to keep this discussion minimal until after the bowl game. Or - wouldn't have a problem after the regular season - a lot can be done in 3 weeks, believe 20 practice days.

Comparing with the Big 3 . . . on second thought, don't wanna get into this as we have another board for that  8)

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

i think its a no-brainer-- USF is definitely the 2nd coming of UMiami.  based on the design of how the defense has been built and how the offense has talent, both sides of the ball are very fast, and its merely a question of a coach being able to steer the ship in the right direction..

with that being said, i've noticed that leavitt's ball clubs have been notorious for getting a lot of penalties.. although it would be cool to have steve spurrier, i think USF needs to worry about getting a disciplinarian that knows how to keep his players in check, in focus, etc.. i dont think leavitt's got what it takes.. he can recruit everything but a QB, but in terms of keeping the team under control, i dont think he's got it

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,747
  • Content Count:  37,637
  • Days Won:  29

... he can recruit everything but a QB ...

Last year we recruited Hill(from Miami) and GrothE(an early hard commit) ... we'll see what kind of QB's they are - jury is still out.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

So, Leavitt is able to design, recruit, and coach a team that is the second coming of Miami, but needs to go.  Hmmm, sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me.

Last year we recruited Hill(from Miami) and GrothE(an early hard commit) ... we'll see what kind of QB's they are - jury is still out.

Go BULLS !!!

carlton hill isnt from miami (if thats what you meant), he's from some podunk panhandle town.. and yes, the jury IS still out.. but as of now, he hasnt been able to recruit a QB aside from blackwell (and even then, i think he lucked out with blackwell and didnt know how well he'd turn out)

So, Leavitt is able to design, recruit, and coach a team that is the second coming of Miami, but needs to go.  Hmmm, sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me.

a bunch of mumbo jumbo is losing 31-17 to pitt, 15-10 to uconn, and losing to army at home.. thats a bunch of mumbo jumbo

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

No, those are things that happened.  Sometimes teams lose.  Mumbo jumbo is what you post.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

carlton hill isnt from miami (if thats what you meant), he's from some podunk panhandle town.. and yes, the jury IS still out.. but as of now, he hasnt been able to recruit a QB aside from blackwell (and even then, i think he lucked out with blackwell and didnt know how well he'd turn out)

He meant UM wanted C. Hill.