• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Who gets fired first - Coach Gregory or Coach Scott?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

46 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

I get the IPF, I really do, but I truly wonder if we're not losing something in the long run.  Games are played in the HEAT.  Games are played in the RAIN.  Games are played in the MUD.  If you don't practice in those conditions I wonder how prepared for them a team can truly be.   I just don't know.

By reading the rest of that paragraph, you really don't get the IPF .... which is kind of odd for all your playing football experience.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

7 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Haha this is sadly the experience of all of us.  But it is funny!  

I only half joke about it.  When Dave Duerson killed himself because of CTE I cried.  My wife was with me when I got the call and she said she thought my Mom or Dad had died, that I looked pale as a ghost.  He was a good guy but it really changed him as it progressed.  He's been gone over 10 years and I still miss him.

7 minutes ago, Triple B said:

By reading the rest of that paragraph, you really don't get the IPF .... which is kind of odd for all your playing football experience.

No, Triple, I do get it.  But I really do think something is lost along the way.  Let me ask you this:  Would you feel better if the Navy Seals only practiced in an IPF?  Would you feel safer?  Would they be better prepared for the harsh environments that they have to perform in?  To do their job in?  The HEAT, the RAIN, the MUD, etc.?  I know to some extent we're in competition with other schools to have the nicest facilities, stadiums, cafeteria's etc.  But if after this past Saturday's game Coach Saban told his players they were going to practice OUTSIDE the rest of the year and he personally put a padlock on the facility and then went on to crush the competition the rest of the season, how many padlocks do you think would be sold around the country to football coaches.  If UofA crushes TA&M heck Jimbo would probably burn the place down himself (I'm kidding of course).  But think of the irony.  He left FSU because of a facilities dispute (and other things) and now APP State comes along and kicks their butt.  Does App State even have an IPF?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, BullShirt said:

No, Triple, I do get it.  But I really do think something is lost along the way.  Let me ask you this:  Would you feel better if the Navy Seals only practiced in an IPF?  Would you feel safer?  Would they be better prepared for the harsh environments that they have to perform in?  To do their job in?  The HEAT, the RAIN, the MUD, etc.?  I know to some extent we're in competition with other schools to have the nicest facilities, stadiums, cafeteria's etc.  But if after this past Saturday's game Coach Saban told his players they were going to practice OUTSIDE the rest of the year and he personally put a padlock on the facility and then went on to crush the competition the rest of the season, how many padlocks do you think would be sold around the country to football coaches.  If UofA crushes TA&M heck Jimbo would probably burn the place down himself (I'm kidding of course).  But think of the irony.  He left FSU because of a facilities dispute (and other things) and now APP State comes along and kicks their butt.  Does App State even have an IPF?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Yes, they do! https://appstatesports.com/facilities/sofield-family-indoor-practice-facility/5

Honestly I get what you are saying, and I don't think you're wrong--there's probably some element of toughness that is lost. But things have changed over the past couple decades and the game is different there. And most importantly football isn't the Navy Seals, because this is a game-not life or death.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307

2 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

No one is implying that we would ONLY practice in the IPF. In fact there will still be two outdoor fields right next to it. Would you feel better if the Navy Seals, only got to practice outside in a field with finger pistols, instead having top of line equipment and full mock-ups of their target environment? The IPF is a great resource that allows us to be more competitive with almost every other program in the nation, and shows recruits we can make an investment in our program. It was more than just "protecting our soft players from the elements". I guess our program would be better off if we made the players play without cleats and pads too because that would toughen them up and they'd be much more certain to make sure they don't get hit if it might kill them when they do. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,638
  • Days Won:  25

This thread title should change to who gets the extension first?

17 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

No, Triple, I do get it.  But I really do think something is lost along the way.  Let me ask you this:  Let me ask you this:  Would you feel better if the Navy Seals only practiced in an IPF?    Would you feel safer?  Would they be better prepared for the harsh environments that they have to perform in?  To do their job in?  The HEAT, the RAIN, the MUD, etc.?  I know to some extent we're in competition with other schools to have the nicest facilities, stadiums, cafeteria's etc.  But if after this past Saturday's game Coach Saban told his players they were going to practice OUTSIDE the rest of the year and he personally put a padlock on the facility and then went on to crush the competition the rest of the season, how many padlocks do you think would be sold around the country to football coaches.  If UofA crushes TA&M heck Jimbo would probably burn the place down himself (I'm kidding of course).  But think of the irony.  He left FSU because of a facilities dispute (and other things) and now APP State comes along and kicks their butt.  Does App State even have an IPF?  Anybody?  Bueller?  Bueller?

No, you don't get it and those highlighted sentences bare that out ...

9 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Yes, they do! https://appstatesports.com/facilities/sofield-family-indoor-practice-facility/5

Honestly I get what you are saying, and I don't think you're wrong--there's probably some element of toughness that is lost. But things have changed over the past couple decades and the game is different there. And most importantly football isn't the Navy Seals, because this is a game-not life or death.

football isn't the Navy Seals, because this is a game-not life or death

Thanks for the App State info.  I'm waiting for a plane and am too lazy to do much serious research.

You are 100% right, no doubt about it but when I was playing we were taught winning isn't everything, it's the only thing and it lived right next door to "life and death".  Remember I played in the days when a guy could be knocked unconscious or have questionable cognitive abilities after taking a hard hit and if they thought he could do his job he was sent back out on the field.  I'm not saying that's the way it should have been or that we should go back to that but that's the way was.

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

No, you don't get it and that highlighted sentence bares that out ...

You keep saying I don't get it and as proof all you offer up is a HIGHLIGHTED SENTENCE" from something I have previously written (you've done this more than once) as if that proves your point.  I suppose I could highlight one of your sentences and then say "See that proves my point".

How about this:  Walk out on that stage all by yourself and tell us WHY an IPF is so important.  And be sure to give specifics.  Because so far you haven't really offered up much in your replies to my comments.  Mind you, I'm not saying an IPF is not important but I am saying that some things "will be lost in translation" so to speak which you immediately use to counter that "I just don't get it".  So go ahead, the spotlight is yours, the mike is on, you have the stage and you have our attention.  What say you?

8 minutes ago, BullShirt said:

You keep saying I don't get it and as proof all you offer up is a HIGHLIGHTED SENTENCE" from something I have previously written (you've done this more than once) as if that proves your point.  I suppose I could highlight one of your sentences and then say "See that proves my point".

How about this:  Walk out on that stage all by yourself and tell us WHY an IPF is so important.  And be sure to give specifics.  Because so far you haven't really offered up much in your replies to my comments.  Mind you, I'm not saying an IPF is not important but I am saying that some things "will be lost in translation" so to speak which you immediately use to counter that "I just don't get it".  So go ahead, the spotlight is yours, the mike is on, you have the stage and you have our attention.  What say you?

Dude, your obvious misconception, based on the stuff I highlighted, is that an IPF is used for all practices. They're not ..... You're either trolling or clueless.