• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

An OCS Can’t Fix That

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

On 9/4/2022 at 10:00 AM, BullShirt said:

I talked to a friend of mine that I played with for three years about the OCS issue.  He played at U of Miami and won a National Championship so he’s got some credibility on this subject in my opinion.

They do not have an OCS for those of you that don’t know.  They play in an NFL stadium.  Originally the Orange Bowl and now Hard Rock Stadium.  He said playing in an NFL stadium, on “the big stage” as he called it, was one of the draws to playing at U of M.  He went on to say that in his opinion given the current state of the USF FB program only small time players would be interested in playing in a small stadium for a small time program.  He said any coach worth his paycheck should be able to use Ray Jay to his advantage when it comes to recruiting.  QUOTE:  It’s the big stage for crying out loud!  He also said that there were years when U of M games drew more fans than the Dolphins.  I’ll have to take his word on that.

The only natty that UM won while playing in an NFL stadium was 1983. Their other 4 championships were not won when they were playing on a big stage, ie in an NFL stadium, so no idea why your UM friend is making a big deal about it.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The only natty that UM won while playing in an NFL stadium was 1983. Their other 4 championships were not won when they were playing on a big stage, ie in an NFL stadium, so no idea why your UM friend is making a big deal about it.

Facts - And our situations are not at all the same or in the same era even.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Just now, Rocky Style said:

Facts - And our situations are not at all the same or in the same era even.

Yeah, and that's already been beaten to death. If we can do an ocs, we need to do an ocs ....

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

USF will have the OCS and have the ability to play games at RJS when schools like Bama visit. We have it made

• Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  103
  • Days Won:  1

Well said.  I get the feeling most of the people that want an OCS only want one because “everyone else has one” and somehow they think it will make things better.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:16 AM, puc86 said:

Fans care about an OCS because a) we don’t have one b) we want some form of excitement and c) we want to pretend it will somehow change something 

VPMK and CJS care about an OCS because they have no plans or solutions on how to fix the actual problems that directly tied to their jobs so this passes the buck back to the fans and buys them more time to fail.

If I could change whatever I wanted about USF athletics an OCS wouldn’t be in the top 1000 and building one now just feels grossly irresponsible.

Well said.  I get the feeling most of the people that want an OCS only want one because “everyone else has one” and somehow they think it will make things better.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:19 AM, Dave_Glaser said:

Attendance for UM during NC seasons:

1983 - 44,555

1987 - 53,950

1989 - 51,653

1991 - 57,964

2001 - 46,162

In a stadium with a capacity of 75,000

Look a little closer at individual game attendance and what you’ll see it great attendance at games that matter like FSU and not so great attendance at games against smaller schools that no one cared about.  Sort of like USF vs Howard.

Remember, we’re talking south Florida in September and October in an open air stadium.  I’d go to see UM play UF, FSU, Alabama, etc. but not a bunch of small schools.  Other than homecoming games home games against Elon, FAU, etc. are not big draws.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:25 AM, Bull Awakening said:

OCS will help fix a lot. Especially wake up the mummies. Go Bullls!

Seriously?  An OCS won’t fix anything.  WINNING fixes EVERYTHING!  WINNING wakes up EVERYONE!

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  266

Bigaac-ucf, sucked at the time their stadium was built. Things evolved and their has been an increase in fan support and game day experience. The same will occur with USF.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:45 AM, Sellular1 said:

For a school with 11,000 students, stadium is 10 miles away, and 9k of those 11k students are from central and South America who would rather watch soccer.  I lived there 

Good point.  And yet somehow they got LOTS of people to attend when they were WINNING and played decent opponents.  An OCS would not have put one more butt in a seat.