• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Division I-AA Playoffs?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  94
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

Call me annoyed. Call me outraged. Call me and say it ain't so.....

While I am supremely happy that our young, little-known school could potentially make some National waves thanks to the BCS system, I will never understand such hypocrisy.

I may be ignorant for never having known that Division I-AA football has playoffs, primarily because I attended USF after the move to I-A, and attending USF marked the first time I followed college football. This is all besides the point.

So, unless someone can help me out and post otherwise, the main "touted" reason for I-A not having playoffs has to do with the extra games needing to be scheduled, extension of the season, and games interfering with students' exams. Naturally, we all know otherwi$e.

There is nothing that speaks to me more deeply to expose the type of folks who are money-grubbing, big business-supporting, selfish bastards, than the idea that the very same league who won't overturn the Bowl system to instill I-A playoffs (i.e. a TRUE national championship game) runs a playoff system for other, less known football teams.

I guess the exam scores of students in II-A schools don't mean anything, and extending their schedules is okay because nobody knows who they are anyways, right?

No. What it means is that the money generated by the Bowl system, compounded with the financial and political pull these Bowl committees (and the cities behind them) have, is too luring for the dirtbags that run the show than doing the right, fair thing is. Fresno State just showed that USC just may not be the best team in the nation. Georgia Tech just showed amazing things can come from an unranked team. And hopefully soon, USF might show the nation how fortunate it is to be in a conference with a BCS tie-in.

But in all honesty, if we cared about what is fair and what is right, we would ensure that the "National Champion" named each year was actually a champion. I guarantee the year that the Bucs went to the Superbowl and won would not have produced Superbowl rings if there was a BCS-like system in place, because the Bucs did not have one of the the best two records upon entering the postseason. But they worked their way up the ranks each game and ended up on top, proving they could beat anyone in the league.

That's a championship. As much as I'll pay out the ass to go see USF in a bowl game, Bowls are nothing but cop-out, quick money-making schemes that in the end are pointless in truly determining the best team in the nation.

If Div. II-A football can do it, so can Div. I-A.

But I guess the world would have to be fair for something so silly as fairness to be instituted.

The story I read which sparked this is on ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2231407

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

even with the playoff system only the top 16 teams make the playoffs, i'm sure those sitting at 17-20 are ******** about it

I would argue that a 16-team playoff is better than none at all.

Technically, it could be argued that right now, the 26-30th teams are pissed they don't get in.

And, the 16 teams up top can't ***** about which Bowl game they have to go to.

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

thats true, but we have it now where i think like 56 teams get into a bowl game, after that the teams are average at best, with barely .500 records.  the 26-30th teams get to go to a bowl game, just probably not a big bowl game, at least they go

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

You think you have a hard time understanding it, you should have watched the BCS representatives when congress had hearings on this a few years back. They tried to argue that a playoff would be bad for the "student athletes" to which a member of congress asked if it was harder on graduates from the BCS conference than it currently is for those teams in I-AA like Yale and Harvard who's student athletes compete in the playoffs and keep up with their Ivy League educatiosn....

It was pretty funny..

But hey, we have BCS. You have to change your colors. The BCS is better than playoffs. Why, becuase we have it and others dont. Dont give away the prize....

Okay. 56 teams in a single-elimination playoff season.

That extends the season by approximately 5 games, with a few kinks to be worked out. Work those kinks right with 1st round byes and it could be 4 games.

We're already extending the regular season by a game next year. So that's down to 3 extra to be played. Stick one after exams in the Dec. 20th range, keep the New Year's weekend games, and we've only got to find one more weekend to make it happen.

And that's for 56 teams.

Every other major sport has playoffs in college. We don't argue against their exams. Basketball teams play in the middle of the week and far more often, as just an example.

• Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  996

I guess they feel that Football will keep students who should be STUDYING away from their education....

kind of ironic.

Why, becuase we have it and others dont. Dont give away the prize....

That smells Republican ;-)

But I appreciate the story, that's hilarious. Simply proves what I'm trying to say!!!

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Well in a technical sense, we do have a 2-team playoff which is called the BCS title game. Team #3 has been known to ***** and moan about not getting in.

The only reason the lower divisions have a playoff system is because there's no financial incentive for them to do something else.

Another way to look at it is that each game during the regular season becomes of the utmost importance. One slip-up might be one too many if you want a shot at the brass ring.

The expansion of I-A (119 teams, and counting) helps make a better case for a playoff - there is more parity now, and you can get a team like Utah who can make a case for belonging in the top 5. A lot of people would like to see a team like that get into a playoff to see what they're made of...the problem is that there's no financial incentive to set it up...

the problem is that there's no financial incentive to set it up...

But see that's what's wrong. Why should there need to be a financial motive instead of logicality and a desire for equality and justice as motives?

Oh well, I give up, guess you're right, gotta go with the flow.

Besides, if I used that argument on anything other than college football, I'd sound like a smazza ;-)