• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FootBull Scrimmage: Fisher Held Out

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

From the USF SID Office

Subject:   USF FOOTBALL SCRIMMAGE

Date:   Sat 03/27/04 06:27 PM  

MARCH 27, 2004

Number Ones are the Bright Spot in USF's Scrimmage; Leavitt Holds Brian Fisher From Practice

The number one defense didn't allow a score all afternoon including a red zone series and goal line stance against the number one offense in USF's 117-snap scrimmage. The number one offense, led by quarterback Pat Julmiste, did manage three touchdowns and two field goals, all against the number two defense. Julmiste completed 17 of 32 passes for 164 yards, including a 30-yard touchdown pass to Joe Bain, and he also ran for touchdowns of two and six yards.

Santiago Gramatica capitalized on Julmiste's play as well, hitting field goals of 20, 31 and 40 yards, before missing from 50 and 37.

"My biggest concern is just trying to get the guys playing with effort," said head coach Jim Leavitt. "We had some good moments. The number one defense on the goal line did an outstanding job. Our quarterbacks are inconsistent and our offensive line was just okay.

We're young at running back and the guys coming in this fall are really going to get an opportunity to play."

Walk-on Anthony Gaines was the leading ground-gainer with 14 rushes for 29 yards, including a 20-yard touchdown run on a fake reverse. Trae Williams, who played as the number one tailback, finished with eight carries for 29 yards, and returning senior Clenton Crossley carried nine times for 19 yards.

Meanwhile, Leavitt said he chose to keep versatile offensive player Brian Fisher out of practice today. "I just felt there were some other things he needed to take care of, so I held him out," said Leavitt. Asked if it is a suspension, Leavit said, "No, not at this time. It's just day-to-day. Today he's not practicing, tommorow is a new day and we'll take it from day to day."

The Bulls are off until Tuesday.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Its gotta be tough on our offense to have to go against our defense.  What a task.. should make them better though.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

a walk on RB shined?

what about all the studs?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

the studs aren't here until summer/fall

they are still in high school (hall is still in JC)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I think our D will rival many in the nation. This will only make the O stronger.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365
  • Days Won:  0

QB didn't look sharp.  Offense could not move the ball at all.  really worried about our running game.  Line wasn't making holes and Sarosi didn't play, may have reinjured his shoulder that he had surgery on.  That would be a big blow to the team.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

PJ is not the answer at QB... he may be starting now, but I believe it is temporary fix until Banks is better. We need to get ourselves a top notch QB sooner than later.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Sheriff, that kind of surprises me. My thoughts last year were that I was OK if PJ made freshman like mistakes because he was a freshman. It got to the point where Banks was making fr. mistakes as a fourth year Jr. What were your impressions of Banks when you played (I'm assuming you've used to work out or practice with him).

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I've practiced with both, although not in season with PJ. My impressions are that PJ is not as accurate and floats the deep ball to much. May sound stupid, but Ronnie was at QB for his second season ever last year. I believe he'd be more seasoned than PJ and for us to get two early season victories, he needs to be at the helm. One of the insiders I talked to said PJ has more upside, but I don't know if I'm ready to take some early season lumps waiting for that upside to materialize. I would mark us down for a win in our first game if Ronnie starts at QB. When he has time to prepare, he is at his best. That Bama first half was not an illusion... he can play. The sun wilted away our team because of a lack of depth. It'll make for some good drama come fall practice.

This isn't saying PJ hasn't changed his game... obviously he has gotten better. A lot of sacks on Banks last year were attributed to receivers not getting open. We'll see if Dawsey can teach them to know how which would allow for Banks or PJ that extra second of freedom to zip the ball in. Dawsey is clutch in making this team go this season. The running back are already something else. You can't teach the numbers they put up... that is talent. Receivers need to make plays this season or our offense will sputter out the gate.

Also, we're still not deep enough at line. The one's defense has ALWAYS dominated the two's offense... soon enough we'll get to the point where the two offense does some damage to the one's defense. We need linemen though that can make it happen.