• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Covid and Education - Move Where Appropriate

JTrue

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Since right now I'm teaching 7th grade early American history and a couple HCC classes, both at Dale Mabry and MacDill AFB, we've been doing some civics stuff. It obviously fits in with early American history for the younger guys, but civics is also part of the curriculum for college students and my class is one of a couple that satisfies their requirement. This is a game I make everyone play so they get a little bit of a handle on the Electoral College. Since some of you (not anyone in particular, but YOU means the general public) have no idea how this works, I thought I'd provide a link to the game I use. Also, if you're not familiar, iCivics is a bad ass organization who I'm lucky enough to work for. The gist of the organization is that it was founded by Sandra Day O'Connor:

To cultivate a new generation of students for thoughtful and active citizenship. Civic knowledge is a prerequisite for civic participation. Yet for decades, civic education had largely disappeared from school curricula and the repercussions are undeniable.

Anyways, it has a bunch of educational and fun games that I use all the time in my middle school AND college classes. Here is the one I use when I'm teaching how the election works (there are a ton of others and I suggest playing People's Pie and Do I Have a Right). I generally offer extra credit to anyone who can get themselves elected. That isn't going to work here, so how about any of you who win can post their total number of electoral votes and see how you stack up. My middle school record is 450 electoral votes. Can any of you beat a 7th grader? I know you don't have anything better to do right now.

https://www.icivics.org/games/win-white-house