• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Penalties thread: 'Yes it's bad' or 'No it's not'

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

By the Yahoo play-by-play, USF had an unofficial 12 penalties for 90 yards. FAMU was 8 for 75. If that holds, then USF is averaging 9.5 penalties for 77.5 yards, which is slightly better than the last two years of 9 or so for around 83 yards.

Once the official USF gamebook is up, I'll post the penalty yards in this thread and keep track for the rest of the season.

The Bulls first unit was good on keeping the penalties down, but the special teams broke down in the end of the 3rd giving FAMU two first downs on 4th down and they led to the FAMU FG. They were dumb penalties too.

Kizarvexis

Edit: The official Bulls gamebook has the Bulls committing 15 penalties for 119 yards. See breakdown below.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Well, some of tonight's penalties late in the game can be attributed to second stringers being in the game, but there are still too many occurring.  Yes, we've shown improvement, but we can do better.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  184

Couldn't tell...  Lots of subs.  

However, I was disappointed that the "subs" let FAMU have three first downs on the drive that gave them their 3 points.  We should've had a shut out.

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

Well, the USF gamebook, at GoUSFBulls.com, has the Bulls committing 15 penalties for 119 yards and FAMU doing 8 for 74 yards. So here is the breakdown.

Average so far for the season

11 for 92 yards per game for USF and 6.5 and 54.5 yds for opponents

Here are the last 4 seasons

2004 - 9.6 for 82.5 yds per game

2003 - 9.4 for 83 yds per game

2002 - 11.6 for 98.7 yds per game (school record)

2001 - 10 for 88 uds per game

The 11 for 92 that the Bulls have done so far, is too close to the 2002 season average for my taste. Hopefully, the FAMU game is an anomaly as the subs were playing and playing sloppily.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

CJL mentioned the penalties in his post game interview.  He said although there were a lot of penalties, he had to look at due to the fact there were a lot of new guys playing.  In fact, I think I heard him say that he sat one of the players down who received a personal foul.  I think the first teamers did a great job keeping the penalties down.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah, looking back thru the PBP, our first team did much better.  A ot of the penalties in the second half look to be by subs.  Still a concern...

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

I was following it on ESPN game tracker. At halftime the penalty rate was acceptably low, something like 4 for 30 yards.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

You are right Gary, I was listening on the radio at the game and I believe they said both teams only had 3 penalties during the first half.  

It wasnt until the 2nd half when we were rotating our 2nd and 3rd string players that we were committing more penalties.  I dont think this was a problem tonight.  We had very few penalties at Penn State, and very few the first half with the starters.  The kicking game is what i'm worried about.  Thats 2 weeks in a row.