• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FIU Stadium

Guest FIUPanthersFan

Guest FIUPanthersFan

From the Sun-Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fiu/sfl-fiustad30aug30,0,7853147.story?coll=sfla-fiu

(it is my understanding that it will be built in time for the '07 home opener vs. the University of Maryland)

FIU hopes to have new digs open by '07

By Sarah Talalay

Staff Writer

Posted August 30 2005

Florida International University officials are exploring options to finance a new football stadium that they hope to open in time for the 2007 season.

FIU Athletic Director Rick Mello said the school plans to build a 25,000- to 30,000-seat stadium for the Golden Panthers, who begin their fourth season on Saturday. The stadium could be built in phases, where the current 17,000-seat stadium now sits and would include 16 to 20 luxury suites, Mello said. The team averaged 10,095 fans a game last season.

"We've put together some funding models," Mello said, adding that he did not want to release cost estimates for the project until the school has settled on a model. School officials have studied other stadiums, including those at Troy State, Middle Tennessee and the Columbus Crew soccer stadium.

"We've done a lot of work," Mello said. "We're confident it's a stadium we think can meet our needs, something we can afford that won't put the operations of our program in harm's way."

State law prevents public universities from using public funds for football stadiums. The school needs to have the funding in place before beginning construction.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

How's season ticket sales ?

Guest FIU Panther Fan

Season ticket sales are currently at about 9,000 with about 3 more weeks to go before oeping day.  BTW, how is this sheer folley.  Are we taking money away from other schoools?  NO, From tax payers?  NO, From University Programs?  NO (the moneys' would not have been donated had it not been because of the football team), From Students?  NO (they approve their own fee increase by about 2 to 1).  So again this goes back to people not wanting other institutions to do better for themselves.  As an FIU grad, I love that our administration wants Football, wants a medical school, wants to build more on campus housing, etc.  Think Big and don't let OTHERS get in your way or talk you down.  GO PANTHERS!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Season ticket sales are currently at about 9,000 with about 3 more weeks to go before oeping day.  BTW, how is this sheer folley.  Are we taking money away from other schoools?  NO, From tax payers?  NO, From University Programs?  NO (the moneys' would not have been donated had it not been because of the football team), From Students?  NO (they approve their own fee increase by about 2 to 1).  So again this goes back to people not wanting other institutions to do better for themselves.  As an FIU grad, I love that our administration wants Football, wants a medical school, wants to build more on campus housing, etc.  Think Big and don't let OTHERS get in your way or talk you down.  GO PANTHERS!

I think FIU has a much better chance at long-term success then FAU.

FIU already has a small on-campus stadium (FAU plays at 2 off-campus stadiums), and has in place a plan to re-build/build another on-campus stadium.

Best of luck Panthers!

Beat FAU!

KL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we should play fiu instead of f A &M

at least fiu is 1a

is leavitt scared of them also?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

we should play fiu instead of f A &M

at least fiu is 1a

is leavitt scared of them also?

Uh, smazz, we already have them scheduled .......

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

I believe FIU is building their program the right way.  I live in South Florida and in my opinion FIU has much more potential than FAU and even UCF.  They appear to have a large fan base just waiting to be tapped.  My only concern is their head coach.  If he cannot get it done, they should try to get Florida's DC (Charlie Strong I believe).  I hope we continue to sign 2-1s with FIU until they are strong enough to sign 1-1s.  If we cannot get a long-term series with Miami, my hope is, we create a rivalry with FIU.  If FIU continues to improve, I don't believe it will have much of an effect on our recruiting.  We should still be able to cherry pick the Dade/Broward/Palm Beach areas like we do now.  UCF is too close for comfort.  

8)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,749
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

Season ticket sales are currently at about 9,000 with about 3 more weeks to go before oeping day.  ...  GO PANTHERS!

Excellent ... keep us posted.

• Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Season ticket sales are currently at about 9,000 with about 3 more weeks to go before oeping day.  

Cool, you're almost ahead of UCF.