• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The OFFICIAL Fire Rod Smith before Game 2 thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  566
  • Days Won:  0

OK...Im not exactly for the play calls that he made this weekend...but I dont remember Hall getting too far on a lot of plays...Im not saying it is his fault...but cmon guys...the front 4 for them were tough and Dre was having a rough time...was I the only one that saw that or am I wrong??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

...  It's truly pathetic that we could do no better than this guy.

But remember, it's us fans that generally pay these asst. salaries.

What IS truly pathetic is that in year 9, our fan base/donations have not grown much.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

OK...Im not exactly for the play calls that he made this weekend...but I dont remember Hall getting too far on a lot of plays...Im not saying it is his fault...but cmon guys...the front 4 for them were tough and Dre was having a rough time...was I the only one that saw that or am I wrong??

No, many of these guys just like to ***** about things.  The truth is we didn't play that badly on offense after PJ came in and the guys started to catch some balls.  If we can stay away from the 3 yd pass route, catch the ball when it hits our receivers' hands, and continue to pass block well, then Hall will have room to run, our passing game will be alright, and we'll be winning quite a few games.

There are things we could have done better,  but overall I was happy with the team because it was improved from last year, and PSU supposedly has a great defense (I'm questioning that, though).  

I'm mainly hoping that Smith sees PJ is more poised back there and can hit the 15-20 yd pass route.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

... and PSU supposedly has a great defense (I'm questioning that, though).  

I think their D was that good, it's just that we played pretty good.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  823

You guys are f**kin nuts to fire Rod or any coach after one game. The system is in place. You can't change the system when the season starts.

I agree Hall should touch the ball as much as possible. I also think Denson should work on holding on to the **** ball. That kid **** the bed in Happy Valley. He fumbled and GAVE PSU a TD and also threw a pass into the arm pit of a D-Lineman.

I think we can't judge our offense on play PSU's D. Penn State has always been a defensive school and they were linebacker U before Miami was.

Now if this offense struggles against FAMU, then start to panic. I would expect to see all 3 QB's play this weekend. That might help Denson get back some confidence. And it should also help Jackson and SJ learn to catch with their hands and not with their chest.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  143

It's truly pathetic that we could do no better than this guy.

I think the only reason R. Smith was named the OC was because of the timing of M. Hobbie quitting after the spring game back in April.  It would have been more difficult to bring in someone else with a whole new system to teach the players in just a short amount of time.  My opinion I would have given the job to C. Franks.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

You know....I was pretty pissed off at some of Smith's calls against PSU. However, it wasn't Smith dropping passes or Smith not remembering where to line up in the slot.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen USF run more perimeter plays for Hall, in the form of toss, option,  screens etc....but once the offense settled in and cut down it's mistakes we moved the ball very well under center and from the shotgun.

Everyone is giving the defense a free pass however, like CJL said in the papers a couple of times that last TTD by hunt killed us. If we hold them out of the endzone the game couldn't have been different.

I realize that PATIENCE is hard word for some of you to understand but we have a lot of young guys out there so the playbook and our ability to properly execute the playbook is not going to happen overnight.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

I think the only reason R. Smith was named the OC was because of the timing of M. Hobbie quitting after the spring game back in April.  It would have been more difficult to bring in someone else with a whole new system to teach the players in just a short amount of time.  My opinion I would have given the job to C. Franks.

Carl Franks is not a spread offense guy and if he took over it would have required, IMO, significant changes in the way we run our offense. I still question the timing of the annoucement. With that said, if it was going to stay in house I would rather have Smith calling the plays instead of Hobbie, b/c at least Smith has  background in calling that offense in college.

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  382

The run play on 2nd and goal with 30 seconds remaining and no time outs was terrible.  I would have liked to see more sreen plays to Hall.  The ones we ran were pretty successful.  I think we could have stretched the field more.  I believe the only pass we attempted over 30 yds was to Hill.