• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can we expect the same type of offensive plays?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

Curious, what's the word on the spread offense and the no huddle? Different coordinator but same plays or different?

Btw, what other college team plays our style of offense?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

No one that wins championships...

Dude, do you really think that anything has changed??

Hobbie left, Hobbie Junior takes over.

We can infer (because no one really knows except Leavitt who hasn't told us)... that Smith was promoted because he was familiar with the existing offense.

That doesn't mean that there will be tweaks and new plays, specially designed to take advantage of the talent on the field...

But we will still run a spread, no huddle offense, with plays signalled in from the sideline.

Here are what I think we should look at when it comes to play calling:

1) Can the QB execute the pass plays that are called (i.e. no over or under throws) ??

2) Can the WRs execute the pass plays that are called (i.e. no dropped passes, no running the wrong routes) ??

3) Can Smith call plays that are appropriate to the game situation (i.e. no downfield passes on 3rd and 8) ??

4) Can Smith make adjustments during the game (i.e. if a play doesn't work after one or two tries, don't try it again until the defense shifts) ??

JMHO.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  958

Curious, what's the word on the spread offense and the no huddle? Different coordinator but same plays or different?

You will see some changes from last year but, still be called a spread. Some of the meyer- utah type plays have been added from what I have been hearing.

Like the dog its a real beauty. Was reading about that dog about how it just won the worlds most ugly dog contest. Sure gets my vote.

Guest S.  Bien

tbull is right.  We're going to go to more of a spread option attack.  For all you whiners it was a brilliant move considering at the present time our experienced QB's are more athletes.  You'll see PJ, and Denson running more than ever, more designed plays.  

One primary play you'll see is an option hand-off, which was a base of Urban's offense at Utah.  The QB hands the ball to the RB, he must read immediately, so he either pulls it out, and runs, or drops back and throws to a receiver, or he gives to the RB.  This freezes the LB's, and slows relentlessly blitzing teams.  

I won't say more than that, but our guys were in Gainesville over the winter months.  Fire who you want, call who you'd like an idiot, but if executed properly this offense will shine.  It's basically taking our past base formation and our old offense then just giving it more offensive options; just tweaking it.  We'll still throw quite a bit, but it will be from different spots, and often the object is to create one-on-one mis-matches.  You'll see more end-arounds, and you'll see times when PJ or Denson will run more.  This way we're not relying exclusively on their ability to pass the ball.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

tbull is right.  We're going to go to more of a spread option attack.  For all you whiners it was a brilliant move considering at the present time our experienced QB's are more athletes.  You'll see PJ, and Denson running more than ever, more designed plays.  

One primary play you'll see is an option hand-off, which was a base of Urban's offense at Utah.  The QB hands the ball to the RB, he must read immediately, so he either pulls it out, and runs, or drops back and throws to a receiver, or he gives to the RB.  This freezes the LB's, and slows relentlessly blitzing teams.  

I won't say more than that, but our guys were in Gainesville over the winter months.  Fire who you want, call who you'd like an idiot, but if executed properly this offense will shine.  It's basically taking our past base formation and our old offense then just giving it more offensive options; just tweaking it.  We'll still throw quite a bit, but it will be from different spots, and often the object is to create one-on-one mis-matches.  You'll see more end-arounds, and you'll see times when PJ or Denson will run more.  This way we're not relying exclusively on their ability to pass the ball.

We did the option choice when we had blackwell, i remember seeing it myself.  I think fisher might have done one or two as well.  Either way, its good to establish a 2nd running threat in the backfield...nothing improves a qb's passing like a secondary falling over itself to stop the run.

I'm not sure about the end-arounds...i havent seen much good work out of that in the past, but maybe it will now?

With so many WR, im surprised not to hear of a few screen packages, especially out of trips.  The rare trick qb screen is quite funny and could really be devastating with a fast QB.

Also note to those who ask what type of teams run the spread, OU often goes shotgun with multiple wideouts.  They're not exactly like us though, but they won a NC fairly recently!  Also note that WVU spreads out the field and runs lots of draws...not a new concept.

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Also note to those who ask what type of teams run the spread, OU often goes shotgun with multiple wideouts.  They're not exactly like us though, but they won a NC fairly recently!

They did plenty of 3 WR, 2 RB sets and regular sets, though. They had a lot more talent at WR. And Jason White needed a wheelchair to get out of the pocket.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  53

there are alot of college teams running the same offence, but they just don't do the no huddle. Utah, texas tech and a few teams usf played in the past. Last year usf should have huddle more, and use more clock when pj was unable to to connect with wr's on a regular basis. ::) ::)

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

there are alot of college teams running the same offence, but they just don't do the no huddle. Utah, texas tech and a few teams usf played in the past. Last year usf should have huddle more, and use more clock when pj was unable to to connect with wr's on a regular basis. ::) ::)

The point of no huddle is to prevent the defense from changing personnel between plays.  You can get up to the line and let the clock run down while checking in audibles, but the D will not be able to sub out tired guys or better personnel for a situation in...that is the real reason for no huddle, not the speed (unless you're in the 2 minute drill).

As for OU using lots of 3 WR 2 RB sets, I see no reason USF can't.  Imagine putting one of the rb's in motion and running the option choice...that sort of thing is tough to stop if executed in between a decent passing game.

I just hope we utilize andre hall a little better, though we MUST get SOME pressure off that guy.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Last year usf should have huddle more, and use more clock
This is a great point, if we had utilized this concept last year it is possible we could have been in a lot more games up until the end.  I am not saying that we would have won but the less the opposition has the ball the less chance they have to score.  So you keep the game close late and give yourself a chance to win.  Everyone remembers 2003, we won a handful of games by keeping it close and pulling it out in the end.  

This also gives the Defense a much needed rest, granted the D was young last year and we had some substantial injuries which in large part was responsible for thier less than stellar play, however when you go 3 and out, then give up a big play allowing a TD, then the D is right back on the field, and then another 3 and out, and so on and so on, by the end of the the Defense is exhausted.  I really hope we go back to the huddle this season.  I see more pro's than con's with the huddle.