• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question about Grothe

Guest tulderbull

Guest S.  Bien

Hey STK, before you run your mouth you might want to read the response from Papa Grothe above.   Sounds like you can take that subtle insinuation about transfers and move along.

Hill won't go anywhere either, the staff is going to use him at QB, but in a more prolific, slasher, athletic type role, ala Brian Fisher was for us in 03', and Reggie Bush is for USC.   Hill knows how great of an athlete he is.  I truly believe that in 07', you could see an offensive set-up similar to what UL has run the past two years with Lefors(Grothe) at QB, and Michael Bush(Hill) as a slasher who runs a few QB plays at the goalline, lines up at receiver and RB.  It will be a wonderful showcase for both players.  Like I said look out for USF in 06', and 07', we're building something solid in 05', but the following 2-3 years we'll be a pretty **** good team.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501
  • Days Won:  0

Hey STK, before you run your mouth you might want to read the response from Papa Grothe above.   Sounds like you can take that subtle insinuation about transfers and move along.

Hill won't go anywhere either, the staff is going to use him at QB, but in a more prolific, slasher, athletic type role, ala Brian Fisher was for us in 03', and Reggie Bush is for USC.   Hill knows how great of an athlete he is.  I truly believe that in 07', you could see an offensive set-up similar to what UL has run the past two years with Lefors(Grothe) at QB, and Michael Bush(Hill) as a slasher who runs a few QB plays at the goalline, lines up at receiver and RB.  It will be a wonderful showcase for both players.  Like I said look out for USF in 06', and 07', we're building something solid in 05', but the following 2-3 years we'll be a pretty **** good team.

I think that's what gets me excited the most (besides my girlfriend) is that the next few years are going to be VERY good.  I am positive about this year, but with our schedule, it will be an uphill battle all the way.  Next year with all of our talent maturing, I think we will be able to compete and get some recognition, finally.  

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Well well a guest!! lets see as you have said #2 Mr Football Florida, red zone national player of the year,4a player of the year two years in a row,All state 1st team QB in 4A two years, Combined for over 10,000 yards and did not play till soph year, so in 3 years in 4A,Polk county player of the year two years in a row,Lakeland Ledger player of the year two years in a row and it goes on. But I am not here to blow his horn just to say he is a Bull now by choice not by default or last option.

He was recruited by  SC,NCstate,GT,Villinova,Uconn,Rutgers,WVirginia,UCF (yuk),citedel,Penn St.,Mich St.,Utau,Ill.,Indy,. As a QB

Because of his FIRM early commitment, not from lack of tring from them to sway him, they finnaly gave up! Most of these teams would love to have Matt right now or in a year, most of them said if it does not work out call us he is always welcome.........now I can take alot of critisism and if he has a bad game so be it I know all will let it fly and thats ok I have thick skin and I am a coach of HS ball also so I understand but he has not taken a snap and already a guest is questioning his ability as a QB. JL had a meeting with matt and has said you are a QB and will stay a QB I trust JL in his coaching...or hell Matt would not be here. This all boils down to Matt is a BULL and you dont have to line up agianst him, when he gets his shot you will be glad of that.  Sorry but had to vent!!!!

If your son has half your fire.....LOOKOUT BIG EAST!!!

Guest tulderbull

I think many of you are missing my point.  I agree he was a hell of a high school quaterback.  A lot like evan kraky and the others but at this level it is a lot tougher. and if he was that heady he would be getting a chance now.  all the awards in high school mean absolutely nothing now.  I want to know can he play any other postion.  Every one talks about denson beating out PJ and if that happens which it will that means 3 years of riding the pine, well make that 2 red shirt and every one talks about hill but his motion and mechanic suck and we know we did not have a good teacher for that (smith)  great high school but in my opinion he will not be a starting qb here.  Also do you really think a small white guy will start a qb in the near future.  doubt it

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

he may not be Hill's height, but he's not THAT small

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Well well a guest!! lets see as you have said #2 Mr Football Florida, red zone national player of the year,4a player of the year two years in a row,All state 1st team QB in 4A two years, Combined for over 10,000 yards and did not play till soph year, so in 3 years in 4A,Polk county player of the year two years in a row,Lakeland Ledger player of the year two years in a row and it goes on. But I am not here to blow his horn just to say he is a Bull now by choice not by default or last option.

He was recruited by  SC,NCstate,GT,Villinova,Uconn,Rutgers,WVirginia,UCF (yuk),citedel,Penn St.,Mich St.,Utau,Ill.,Indy,. As a QB

Because of his FIRM early commitment, not from lack of tring from them to sway him, they finnaly gave up! Most of these teams would love to have Matt right now or in a year, most of them said if it does not work out call us he is always welcome.........now I can take alot of critisism and if he has a bad game so be it I know all will let it fly and thats ok I have thick skin and I am a coach of HS ball also so I understand but he has not taken a snap and already a guest is questioning his ability as a QB. JL had a meeting with matt and has said you are a QB and will stay a QB I trust JL in his coaching...or hell Matt would not be here. This all boils down to Matt is a BULL and you dont have to line up agianst him, when he gets his shot you will be glad of that.  Sorry but had to vent!!!!

Flip, one thing you should hardly ever do is waste a rant like that on a "Guest". Most are not worth it. Most, like this one obviously, ARE guests because they're too ignorant to figure out how to sign up ......   ;)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236

Bien, I think you need to chill out a little.  I said Grothe could transfer if he is not starting.  What is wrong with that, hell, USF has gotten what, ten tranfers within the past three months?

I don't care what his father said, ask him two years from now if his son is not starting.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923

Bottom line is Grothe is not ready to be a Div I-A QB, he needs to redshirt and work on becoming a better passer. There is no doubt that Grothe has the competitive fire and has speed, however, he currently does not have a Div I-A arm.  Lastly, every father is going to be biased towards their son, my comments are based on coaches that coached against Lake Gibson, Matt will be fine, however, at this time he is not ready to assume the role of starting QB for USF.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

Bottom line is Grothe is not ready to be a Div I-A QB, he needs to redshirt and work on becoming a better passer. There is no doubt that Grothe has the competitive fire and has speed, however, he currently does not have a Div I-A arm.  Lastly, every father is going to be biased towards their son, my comments are based on coaches that coached against Lake Gibson, Matt will be fine, however, at this time he is not ready to assume the role of starting QB for USF.

Yea every coach that we pounded  every year? unless you are talking about Armwood coaches  LOL I guess they can talk...As far as being bias ok that is normal but you can ask anybody on here that ,that is not my MO.... and it is all good if Matt redshirts he knows what he has to do to win it next year and as far as the slam on Smith from sir guestalot he will be just fine and is doing a great job so far and that is all we can judge right??? and go sign up

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,521
  • Days Won:  10

I think many of you are missing my point.  I agree he was a hell of a high school quaterback.  A lot like evan kraky and the others but at this level it is a lot tougher. and if he was that heady he would be getting a chance now.  all the awards in high school mean absolutely nothing now.  I want to know can he play any other postion.  Every one talks about denson beating out PJ and if that happens which it will that means 3 years of riding the pine, well make that 2 red shirt and every one talks about hill but his motion and mechanic suck and we know we did not have a good teacher for that (smith)  great high school but in my opinion he will not be a starting qb here.  Also do you really think a small white guy will start a qb in the near future.  doubt it

What you need to keep in mind is, as was mentioned, that these players played in a different division and had teams that ran different offenses.  Grothe ran an offense very similar to ours at a high level of competition and got the numbers and accolades.

As for "small white guy", I don't see where 6' 1" would be considered "small".

Doug Flutie, now there's a small white guy who couldn't run a team.   ::)