• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Question about Grothe

Guest tulderbull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Old%20Spice%20Red%20Zone.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Ean Randolph, No. 80, USF WR...nickname...gotta be Shorty  :)

Guest S.  Bien
well so did sheffield out of high school. but just because you almost win a high school football championship doesnt make you a good college qb. Yes he has a good head on his shoulders, but so did both verpaele, fisher and A. jackson.  His arm strength is average at best. I saw the film on him also he had a ton of support around him.  alot more then some of the other guys I listed.

I've seen most of the other guys play as well, and first most of their offenses were not as pass sophisticated and relied more on the legs of those players, particularly Jackson, and Verpaele.  Grothe threw for over 4,000 in his jr, and sr. years, and he did it with almost a 60% completion percentage.  Grothe ran a spread, drop back offense, and was very proficient in how he ran the offense and the use of his mechanics.  Second, Grothe has very good technique in his throwing, good footwork, and his touch and timing is spot on.  I agree arm strength (his arm strength isn't poor, it's just average to slightly below- which can be improved) and overall size are what's going to hold Grothe back in the early going- and the reason he's not making a push right away.  However, he can rectify those issues, but the heady play, the accuracy, the command presence, the infectious winning attitude, the excellent throwing motion, good footwork, and a solid athlete all make Grothe a very intriguing prospect at QB down the road.

I am one that thinks Grothe in 2 years will remind us of Stefan Lefors, but much like Lefors he'll need 2-3 years to get up physically and mentally.  You could take all those examples but in the end most of those other players simply played QB in HS because they were one of the best athletes on the team, and their offenses relied on QB mobility.  Amarri Jackson for example, might have thrown the ball ten times a game at Riverview.  Fantastic athlete, but his throwing motion was all over the board, no footwork, and no one tried to improve it, but man he was impossible to take down, and had gifted feet.

At one point someone has to play QB.  You could always say that a player could play somewhere else.  You put a kid like Grothe at QB, and keep him there, because he comes out of HS semi-polished.  That's important because many people know that if some kids don't have the QB intangibles coming out of HS, it's a crap shoot for coaches if these kids will develop properly.  For USF coaches Grothe's a kid that's not going to take a tremendous amount of work to develop on the technique side, headiness, understanding, or footwork side...that's very important for coaches because then they can concentrate on improving the little things instead of starting from square one on "How to be a QB."  He'll get stronger and bigger in due time it's the other aspects that make Grothe a keeper at QB.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037

Well well a guest!! lets see as you have said #2 Mr Football Florida, red zone national player of the year,4a player of the year two years in a row,All state 1st team QB in 4A two years, Combined for over 10,000 yards and did not play till soph year, so in 3 years in 4A,Polk county player of the year two years in a row,Lakeland Ledger player of the year two years in a row and it goes on. But I am not here to blow his horn just to say he is a Bull now by choice not by default or last option.

He was recruited by  SC,NCstate,GT,Villinova,Uconn,Rutgers,WVirginia,UCF (yuk),citedel,Penn St.,Mich St.,Utau,Ill.,Indy,. As a QB

Because of his FIRM early commitment, not from lack of tring from them to sway him, they finnaly gave up! Most of these teams would love to have Matt right now or in a year, most of them said if it does not work out call us he is always welcome.........now I can take alot of critisism and if he has a bad game so be it I know all will let it fly and thats ok I have thick skin and I am a coach of HS ball also so I understand but he has not taken a snap and already a guest is questioning his ability as a QB. JL had a meeting with matt and has said you are a QB and will stay a QB I trust JL in his coaching...or hell Matt would not be here. This all boils down to Matt is a BULL and you dont have to line up agianst him, when he gets his shot you will be glad of that.  Sorry but had to vent!!!!

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  827

Well well a guest!! lets see as you have said #2 Mr Football Florida, red zone national player of the year,4a player of the year two years in a row,All state 1st team QB in 4A two years, Combined for over 10,000 yards and did not play till soph year, so in 3 years in 4A,Polk county player of the year two years in a row,Lakeland Ledger player of the year two years in a row and it goes on. But I am not here to blow his horn just to say he is a Bull now by choice not by default or last option.

He was recruited by  SC,NCstate,GT,Villinova,Uconn,Rutgers,WVirginia,UCF (yuk),citedel,Penn St.,Mich St.,Utau,Ill.,Indy,. As a QB

Because of his FIRM early commitment, not from lack of tring from them to sway him, they finnaly gave up! Most of these teams would love to have Matt right now or in a year, most of them said if it does not work out call us he is always welcome.........now I can take alot of critisism and if he has a bad game so be it I know all will let it fly and thats ok I have thick skin and I am a coach of HS ball also so I understand but he has not taken a snap and already a guest is questioning his ability as a QB. JL had a meeting with matt and has said you are a QB and will stay a QB I trust JL in his coaching...or hell Matt would not be here. This all boils down to Matt is a BULL and you dont have to line up agianst him, when he gets his shot you will be glad of that.  Sorry but had to vent!!!!

Great response Flip Flop!

Don't pay any attention to this Tulderbull!

We know Matt will be the man in due time!

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  236

That is if he stays.  I don't think Matt will stand quietly behind Hill or any other QB.  I think if Matt is not starting by next year, he won't be a Bull for long.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I don't see Hill starting at Qb in front of Grothe.  He'd be too valuable elsewhere.  If anyone is upset about not starting at QB and decides to  leave it's going to be Hill, even though of all the teams recruiting him we are giving him the best shot at playing QB.  This is all speculation.  Heck we could have the dreaded two headed monster next year.   Who knows.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

UCF is a powerhouse program who wouldn't want to go there

you should have remembered to use one of these after that sentence...

either:

;)

or

:-X