• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs PENN STATE

Guest Brandon Aldridge

The USF Philadelphia / S. Jersey Alumni Chapter has chartered a bus for the ride from Exton, PA (Philly Suburb) to State College, PA on game day.  Leave the driving to someone else.  If you would like to ride with our group roundtrip tickets are $40.00.  Contact Chapter President Brandon Aldridge @ bausfkid@comcast.net

GO BULLS!!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bpd1151

Just a note, it's not like Robinson has never played in front of 110,000 or started at QB in front of 110,000....

He threw for over 300 yards against Wisconson in '03 (With craptastic WRs) and had a similar game against Minny that year.  Both games lost on the final play where we just didn't have the pass catchers to put it in the endzone.

After seeing Justin King and Derrick Williams at the blue white game all I can say is...  :o

Guest psuKinger

Hey, first of all, I want to say that you USF fans have a pretty cool message board here.  Most Penn State boards I've seen arn't anywhere near this cool.

I just wanted to leave a post because, judging by some of the posts I read, many of you seem to think that the weakest aspect of the PSU defense is there secondary.   While nobody came out and said our secondary "stinks" or anything like that, it sounds like you guys are counting on being able to pass a little to open things up.

I just wanted to state that this is not the case.  In fact, as a life-long PSU fan, current student, and season-ticket-holder, I am of the opinion that the secondary is the strongest part of our defense.  Even better than our two stud linebackers.  Our secondary is really amazing.  Alan Zemaitis (along with linebackers Paul Posluzny and Dan Conner) is on the preseason Butkus watch list, and is without question one of the best corners in college football.  We have a very athletic free safety, and a sledge-hammer of a hitter at strong safety.  Our other corner is also very good (2nd team all Big-10), and we have a lot of unproven athleticism at the nickel and dime back position.

So what is the weakness on PSU's defense?  The closest thing to a weakness on this defense is the defensive line, particularly in terms of the pass-rush.  Our line is solid, it doesn't make many mistakes, but it also doesn't make many big plays.  If I were on offensive coordinator playing against psu, I would try to use this fact to my advantage by running play-action passes, rolling out my qb (if you have an athletic qb, this will really help), and running short quick patterns.

This is no guarantee for success, as our defense really is one of the best in the country, but it's what I would try if I were playing against my lions.

And, in my opinion, Penn State's offense is going to surprise a lot of people by improving significantly from last year.  That's not to say they're going to be one of the best in the country, but even being mediocre would be an improvement on last year.  Then again, this could just be wishful thinking from a die-hard homer of a Penn State fan.  We won't know how this offense is until the season starts.  Just beware, we have a lot more speed than we used to.  Can we use it effectively?  I have no idea.

Oh well, the real point to this post was to comment on PSU's secondary.  Good luck this season, except, of course, in week 1  ;) .

Kinger

Guest psuKinger

p.s.

Penn State IS going to open up the offense.  We have no choice.

Our offensive line is terrible.  Downright dreadful last year, and I don't see much of any reason to think that they will do any better than improving from earning an F last year to earning a D this year.  We cannot play traditionally "pound it down your throats" psu football.

But we do have great speed.  Mostly unproven, but potentially game-changing, speed at QB, HB, and WR.  We're going to run a wide-open, 4 receiver, "spread" offense.

We will try to run-and-gun.  Will it work?  We won't know until we try it.  But you will see a spread offense from Penn State in this game.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Hey, first of all, I want to say that you USF fans have a pretty cool message board here.  Most Penn State boards I've seen arn't anywhere near this cool.

I just wanted to leave a post because, judging by some of the posts I read, many of you seem to think that the weakest aspect of the PSU defense is there secondary.   While nobody came out and said our secondary "stinks" or anything like that, it sounds like you guys are counting on being able to pass a little to open things up.

I just wanted to state that this is not the case.  In fact, as a life-long PSU fan, current student, and season-ticket-holder, I am of the opinion that the secondary is the strongest part of our defense.  Even better than our two stud linebackers.  Our secondary is really amazing.  Alan Zemaitis (along with linebackers Paul Posluzny and Dan Conner) is on the preseason Butkus watch list, and is without question one of the best corners in college football.  We have a very athletic free safety, and a sledge-hammer of a hitter at strong safety.  Our other corner is also very good (2nd team all Big-10), and we have a lot of unproven athleticism at the nickel and dime back position.

So what is the weakness on PSU's defense?  The closest thing to a weakness on this defense is the defensive line, particularly in terms of the pass-rush.  Our line is solid, it doesn't make many mistakes, but it also doesn't make many big plays.  If I were on offensive coordinator playing against psu, I would try to use this fact to my advantage by running play-action passes, rolling out my qb (if you have an athletic qb, this will really help), and running short quick patterns.

This is no guarantee for success, as our defense really is one of the best in the country, but it's what I would try if I were playing against my lions.

And, in my opinion, Penn State's offense is going to surprise a lot of people by improving significantly from last year.  That's not to say they're going to be one of the best in the country, but even being mediocre would be an improvement on last year.  Then again, this could just be wishful thinking from a die-hard homer of a Penn State fan.  We won't know how this offense is until the season starts.  Just beware, we have a lot more speed than we used to.  Can we use it effectively?  I have no idea.

Oh well, the real point to this post was to comment on PSU's secondary.  Good luck this season, except, of course, in week 1  ;) .

Kinger

Trust us, the last thing we are counting on is for our passing game to open anything up at this opoint.

Guest psuKinger

It's also tough-running on our D.  We have 2 fantastic linebackers.

However, I would say that it is probably a little easier to run on us than pass on us... our secondary is really that good.

Like I said, the only aspect of our D that isn't truly specatular is our D-line.  Most of the sacks we got last year were "coverage sacks".  Quarterbacks generally have a reasonable amount of time to sit in the pocket, the problem is nobody is open  ;D

And since you guys seem to have a talented halfback, I think this is probably your best bet.

However, I would say that it is probably a little easier to run on us than pass on us... our secondary is really that good.

Like I said, the only aspect of our D that isn't truly specatular is our D-line.  Most of the sacks we got last year were "coverage sacks".  Quarterbacks generally have a reasonable amount of time to sit in the pocket, the problem is nobody is open  ;D

And since you guys seem to have a talented halfback, I think this is probably your best bet.

First, let me say that it will be a long day for the USF offense, no matter what we try.  PSU's defense is by far the best USF has played in its 9 years.

Now, let me say that because PSU has such a strong secondary, all JoePa will need to do is have your strong safety cheat up into the box to stop the run... and drop into coverage on pass plays.

There are some quirks, though... USF will trot out a 4 or 5 WR set... which means there will be some LBs on WRs or less-experienced DBs... that could create an advantage... also, forcing the Lions into a nickel or dime package could open up some running lanes for Hall.

I would also expect trickery at some point in the game... Leavitt loves to do the unexepcted... like maybe opening the game with an on-sides kick... or using the "double pass"... or halfback options... or reverses...  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of predictable plays too... like a draw play from the shotgun... or a WR screens... or slant passes...

The whole game will be about controlling the ball... keeping the defense on the bench (resting) and getting first downs...

But I expect a heck of a lot of 3-and-outs...

Our only saving grace is that your offense is about as good as ours... the punters better rest their legs.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Jim, you're right about the trick play.  Remember the OU game?  I believe it was the start of the second quarter with the game still tied at zero.  We ran a halfback pass to perfection for a TD, but it got called back on a flag.  After that play, everything went downhill.

Leavitt loves to pull out trickeration, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see it in the PSU game.  They won't pull it out if its a blowout, but if the game is close I'd be looking for it.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

Honestly I think we'll be better off running at first...We have a terrific taiback, but the QB is among our biggest question marks.

Really though, to win we're going to HAVE to throw to get PSU out of the box.  While the secondary might be good for PSU, a bad pass rush can make a good secondary look a little less good (you just CAN'T cover 1 on 1 for very long, even if you're more athletic than the wideout), so we'll just have to see.

I expect PSU to be 14 point or so favorites going into the game, and I have no idea how it will actually turn out.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

The whole game will be about controlling the ball... keeping the defense on the bench (resting) and getting first downs...

But I expect a heck of a lot of 3-and-outs...

Our only saving grace is that your offense is about as good as ours... the punters better rest their legs.

I only wanna add that Leavitt is not one to sit on his laurels.  He went after Pitt. for four quarters when our team beat them.  And Oklahoma too.  I imagine we are going to see 4-5 of our 6'2" plus WRs on the field at once to create some height mismatches.  Didn't the FootBulls run a reverse using Johnny P vs. Louisville?  It would not surprise me to see PJ, Denton & Hill on the field at the same time ie double passes or halfback pass.  Special teams may very well decide the out come on Sept. 3 but more likely it will be defensive depth.