• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4 new JuCo players added as Knights report for pra

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

The NCAA-maximum 105 players reported Friday to UCF in time for today's first preseason football practice, and among them were four new junior-college transfers already accepted into school.

Among the four was former Michigan State signee Kenny Jackson of Lehigh Acres. Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 197-pound receiver, played at Bakersfield (Calif.) College when he did not qualify academically out of high school.

He was joined Friday by tight ends Sinclair Brown and Bryan Gabourel and defensive back Dominik Kelly.

All four are considered walk-ons but could be awarded scholarships without pushing the Golden Knights over their single- and total-class limits. The Knights head into the 2005-06 academic year with 80 scholarship players, Coach George O'Leary said.

"I'm anxious to get going," O'Leary said. "We're better now than we were at any time last year. I want to see exactly what we can do.

"The new junior-college kids, I added them for depth. We should be a deeper team."

Brown (6-3/245) comes in from Reedley College, while Gabourel (6-3/245) is a Miami native who played at San Francisco City College. Kelly (6-2/180), from Quitman, Ga., played two years a Hinds (Miss.) Community College.

The new transfers push to seven the number of first-year JuCo transfers in UCF's program.

Wide receiver Javid James, running back Jason Peters and defensive back Marlon Williams signed in December and went through spring practice.

Also on Friday, the Knights had a team dinner and their first team meeting.

Meanwhile, the Knights learned they will have at least two additional TV games, one of which necessitates a time change. UCF's Nov. 5 home game with Houston was picked up by the i Network (formerly PAX), and kickoff was moved from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

7 first year JUCOs seems kind of high...

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

0-15 is even higher.  We need the depth and if they can help us for 2 years while we recover from the previous non recruiting years, I am all for it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

pot...kettle?

Two issues here.

bulls96go with another two word post...but it is accurate for purposes of the second point.  I know the banter belongs on the USF-UCF board, but I think we were roundly criticized by our Knight friends for the JC players a year or so ago.

Funny in this case it is called "depth" (even if a year ago it was not the way to build a program).

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  442

Yes, you were criticized by many last year. Exception is, I was not the one critizing, which gives me the right to support our current situation.  If anyone wants to bash me for supporting JUCO players, then by all means go for it.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

Add in the 3 prep signees, and 10% of your football team couldn't get into college immediately out of high school.  That means that there may be some issues with the overall level of intelligence of the football program.  If I were a UCF fan, I would be concerned.  I can understand filling gaps, but this goes beyond that.

NOTE: This post is not meant to be smack, and I appreciate FLBeach's discussion of the topic.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

these 4 all are walkons... they may earn a schollie... but dont have one now.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I know the banter belongs on the USF-UCF board, but I think we were roundly criticized by our Knight friends for the JC players a year or so ago.

You won't find the ones that were slamming USF for the JUCO's anywhere near this thread. As so often happens, the innocent catch the brunt .....    8)