• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls vs Central Michigan Series

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Game 1:

Just got online as listening to @BullsUnlimited and the Chips tie it up 2-2 in the Top of 8th...

McClanahan gives up no earned runs again...and no win....

Chips still batting in 8th

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Runner on 2nd with one out....Bulls may be able to end this in bottom of 9th

Montes injured?

Bulls will have top of order coming up in bottom of 10th.  Let's go Bulls!

snapshot_Mar09071959.png

There may be more to talk about on Game 1, but wanted to make sure everyone has the info for Game 2 (on Facebook Live, too):

MAR 10 (SAT) 6:30 PM

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Bats didn't look so hot against a so so SP from CMU.   Couple of double plays early ended rallies before they got going.  Shane was solid, just too deep in counts.  Looked like he was struggling a little early on, but still was bringing it.  I wasn't very impressed with Cruz or Perez in relief.  The team seemed a little sloppy on defense as well.  I hate to say it, but I could see some struggles come conference time if they don't fix some ills.

USF ATHLETICS GoUSFBulls.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Web Link: http://bit.ly/2Fyw8V7

Bulls Walk Off Chippewas in the 10th to Take Series Opener 

Joe Genord and David Villar played hero, as USF put together consecutive hits with two outs

TAMPA, FLA., MARCH 9, 2018 – The University of South Florida baseball team provided the late-inning drama with its first walk-off win of the season, defeating Central Michigan, 3-2, in 10 innings Friday to open a three-game series.

The Bulls (8-6) scored in the fifth and seventh innings, and rode another strong outing from lefty All-American Shane McClanahan (Cape Coral, Fla.) into the eighth with a 2-0 lead. The Chippewas (2-11-1) only had one hit in the eighth, but took pitches and were able to tie the game in the top half.

After USF had a runner just 90 feet from home in the ninth, it used a small two-out rally in the 10th to win the game. Junior David Villar (Pembroke Pines, Fla.) smoked the game’s only extra-base hit, a double down the left field line. Then classmate Joe Genord (Lake Worth, Fla.) followed with a hot-shot single up the middle to score him and give his team a thrilling win. 

Key Stats

0 – For the fourth time this year, McClanahan allowed no runs.

6.2 – McClanahan tossed a season-high 6.2 innings. He gave up only four hits and struck out nine.

3 – Three Bulls had multi-hit nights. Villar, the reigning conference player of the week, had two. 

10 – USF reached 10 hits for the eighth time this season.

Notables

·         Junior catcher Tyler Dietrich (Naples, Fla.) had a game-high three hits to go along with a run and a RBI. He’s now hitting .392 on the year. 

·         Kyle Phillips (Orlando) went 2-for-4.

·         Andrew Perez (Orlando) logged 3.0 innings out of the bullpen. Though Central Michigan tied things while he was in, the lefty struck out three and got his first win of the year.

Up Next

USF and Central Michigan continue the three-game series Saturday at 6:30 p.m. 

30 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Bats didn't look so hot against a so so SP from CMU.   Couple of double plays early ended rallies before they got going.  Shane was solid, just too deep in counts.  Looked like he was struggling a little early on, but still was bringing it.  I wasn't very impressed with Cruz or Perez in relief.  The team seemed a little sloppy on defense as well.  I hate to say it, but I could see some struggles come conference time if they don't fix some ills.

This is a very good if not great post.  I was thinking a lot about this as I was working out and listening to the game.

The pitcher had a 9.94 ERA or something like that, but he had one game in which he gave up 12 runs.  This early in the season that can have a dramatic effect on stats.  I kind of throw that out.

Shane has been deep in counts all season.  He is so very effective, but it seems he puts himself in binds unnecessarily.  I'm also disturbed his pitch counts have allowed him to go beyond six only once this season - tonight, 6 2/3.

Crus has not pitched as well as his ERA indicates...I was nervous when he came in, but his stats wouldn't support that.  Then again, I don't see a stat around runners inherited scoring.

Our defense has been sloppy all season, but that should be a problem fixed with drills.   

And I don't hate to say it.  This program should dominate this conference.  It's correct we haven't but, we should.