• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jenkins Looking at Other Schools

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

It's Green and Gold, right Ricky ;D   Reaper

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  29

I'm with Ricky, I'd pull back any offer to this kid unless I had full assurances he was just looking for some free travel - even then risk enters the equation.  For him to think coming back to USF is a given opportunity that will always await him is a perception that should be firmly addressed by CLJ and company.

Guest S.  Bien

Some serious skewed opinions of recruiting on this board.  

Get a grip folks everyone looks around, there's only a few Matt Grothe's that even sign with the big boys.

No one's going to pull a scholarship, **** the kid was good enough to be forthright and straight about the issue.

This is ridiculous.  I can understand the Schaeffer rub, particularly after his comments, but Jenkin's is probably more than likely coming back.  Like I said when people panicked after Hill de-committed, there's stats out there someone did a year or so ago that said around 80% of kids that decommit end up signing with their original choice and commitment.  The reason is they usually commit to those programs for THE RIGHT REASONS.  Then they get to listening to some mis-information from recruiters at other schools.  After soaking it all in, removing the hype, and considering everything more times than not the kids go back to their original choice.

Chill out, these guys are 17 year olds, and most of them read these **** boards!

• Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  106

If he is changing his mind after he Verbally committed to us, we don't want him!!! I personally don't want a player who is not totally committed to our program, only to be swayed by the other schools. It is total Bull Shiat. Stay in Orlando, jenkins. We don't want you now!!!   The Reaper

If Jenkins would have played badly in his first two games and then blew an ACL, do you think JL would have given him a scholarship?  Especially if there were some other highly touted DTs that were willing to sign with USF.  A verbal commitment is basically like saying "right now I think I am going to this school".  I hope we get the best players we possibly can regardless off whether or not they back out of a verbal commitment.  Like Bien said, it is a much better situation than if he would have changed his mind at the last minute.

Freak, I am just tired of being second choice. We are stepping up to the big time. Either it's in your heart to play for us or it's not. I much would rather be 1st choice than to be the one to settle on because the others blow smoke and don't live up to it. We are in the big time now. We need to act like it. I want kids that see our program, and come hell or high water, want to be a BULL. Just tired of being second choice. Reaper

I would prefer a talented player who takes his time to make a decision, then a sorry player who has it in his heart to get pancaked every Saturday.  JL will get the best DTs he can.

By the way, for those of you who are upset about getting the shaft- you better get used to it because it will NEVER end.  Just ask Texas.

8)

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

I'm with Ricky, I'd pull back any offer to this kid unless I had full assurances he was just looking for some free travel - even then risk enters the equation.  For him to think coming back to USF is a given opportunity that will always await him is a perception that should be firmly addressed by CLJ and company.

I certainly hope the day comes that we can realistically do this to quality players. It would mean that we have more than enough outstanding players ..... We ain't there yet.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I think it's the job of the school to sell itself to the kid.  This is a major decision in a young man's life.  This guy is what, 17 yrs old?  His friends and some family are probably saying something like "USF?  I would go to UF or TN, or one of the more known schools."  

If we want the kid we have to reassure him and his family why we are the best choice and that we are interested in him as a player and in helping him become the best man he can be out of football.  I hardly think saying something like "oh well, if you are reconsidering then the offer is gone." would help much.

I'm glad you guys aren't the recruitring department.  

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

It's just the way things are nowadays:

Buddy Collings

Coach wants recruiters to lighten up

Published August 4, 2005

Recruiters won't stop calling because Mainland speedster Tony Wilson orally committed to Georgia on Monday. Not with football's National Signing Day still 26 weeks away.

But Wilson's high school coach, John Maronto, said they should move on.

Maronto strongly believes college coaches should scratch players who announce a commitment off their pitch lists. He has pushed for recruiting reforms at national coaching conventions.

"We tell our seniors, you make a commitment, you honor that," Maronto said Monday. "College coaches need to do the same thing. Once a guy they are recruiting commits, I believe they need to drive on.

"What are we teaching our kids about integrity and the word commitment if it doesn't mean what it's supposed to mean?"

Mainland has generated a steady stream of prospects and Maronto has seen all angles in the business of wooing 17-year-olds. Last season, Mainland star Avery Atkins committed to UF early but continued to be pursued by other schools and took other visits. He waffled, but ended up as a prized signee for the Gators.

"I saw what Avery went through, going back and forth," Wilson said.

"I've had my mind set. I was just waiting for the right time to announce it in front of my teammates. I want to enjoy my senior season."

"Tony is not going to take any other visits," Maronto said. "Florida and FSU couldn't have done a better job recruiting him. He just decided he wanted to go to Georgia. That happens."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-spthscollings07080405aug04,0,4134628.column

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

The funny thing about that is that Tony Wilson is the younger brother of Vince Wilson who USF probably could have had in 2004, but backed off of him because of grades. Now Vince is unhappy at NC and is looking for another school. Wouldn't it be ironic if we now get Vince and Tony decides to decommit from Georgia to be with his brother. LOL

Mainland receiver goes with Georgia

Speedster Tony Wilson says he will sign with the Dawgs in February.

By Buddy Collings | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted August 2, 2005

DAYTONA BEACH -- If it was a football field, FSU linebacker Buster Davis might have been able to hem Tony Wilson in and force him to change direction. He was that close.

But this was the Mainland High cafeteria, and Davis was content to watch and smile with pride as the latest gem in Mainland's pipeline to college football announced his intentions during a peanut-butter lunch break on the first day of high school football practice Monday.

Wilson, a 6-foot-1, 180-pound senior speedster, stood up to tell teammates he plans to sign with Georgia in February.

Afterward, Wilson said UF made a strong pitch but he picked the school that made the earliest impression.

"Florida got a late start on me," he said. "I didn't get to know Coach [urban] Meyer until this summer. Georgia was on me from the time football season ended [last fall] to now."

Wilson, who also had FSU in his top three, played offense, defense and special teams for a 10-3 state semifinal team last fall and then won a state 200-meter dash title in the track season.

"He's a ballplayer and he knows he's a ballplayer," Davis said. "Do I want him at Florida State? Of course. But I know he's been high on Georgia for a long time and wherever you feel comfortable, that's where you should go."

Wilson's older brother, Vince, was at Bucs practice Monday and said he is shopping for a new school after seeing limited action (seven carries, minus-3 yards) as a freshman running back for North Carolina last season.

"It just wasn't for me. . . . not happy," Vince said. "I'm not sure yet where I'm going to go."

A third brother, Kenny, could start on both sides of the ball for Mainland this season and projects to be a major prospect in the Class of 2007.

Georgia also beat FSU for an oral commitment from defensive back Prince Miller (5-8/180) of Duncan, S.C., Byrnes. The Seminoles did get a verbal from quarterback D'Vontrey Richardson (6-1/200) of Leesburg, Ga., Lee County. Linebacker Charles Kirschman (6-3/235) of Ponte Vedra Beach Nease picked Alabama.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/highschool/volusia/orl-spthswilson02080205augu2,0,3325310.story

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

all rahter silly

who can trust a junior in high school

Guest S.  Bien
all rahter silly

who can trust a junior in high school

I think trust is a bit strong, rather who can expect a junior in HS to make a decision like that so rashly.  Particularly when every other school starts hounding them to decommitted.