• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Breakdown: Quarterback  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144
  • Days Won:  0

Free story from Scout.com

Breakdown: Quarterback

By Josh Newberg USFnation.com

Date: Aug 2, 2005

With the season inching closer and closer,

USFnation.com will start a 7 part series breaking down each position. Today’s first installment will feature the Bulls quarterbacks.  

After last season’s inconsistencies at quarterback there were some whispers that Pat Julmiste would not retain the starting job. However, Pat went out this summer worked hard and will be going into the season as the Bulls number one. Julmiste shouldn’t get to comfortable, there are some hungry guys behind Julmiste that will be pushing him hard in the coming weeks. Courtney Denson, Carlton Hill, and Matt Grothe will all be looking to push for more reps behind center.

From what I have seen this summer I agree with the decision to start Julmiste. He is a leader on and off the field and on most days he looks like the only one that understands the playbook. Although they have been in shorts all summer (everyone looks like a star in shorts) there are still some things that can be useful in evaluating players. Leadership is an important quality especially during the summer when there are not coaches calling the plays. Everyone respects and listens to what Pat says during practice. I’m not saying the other QB’s are disrespected it’s just that Julmiste has stepped up and accepted the role of leader.

Pat Julmiste

Denson is the number two quarterback on the team. However, I feel that at this point Denson, Hill, and Grothe are pretty much even at the two spot. All three backups have been indecisive during 7-on-7 drills. They end up running the ball a lot rather than making the correct read. All of the hesitating comes from a lack of reps and not knowing where the receivers will be on every play. Once the season starts there will be a clear-cut number two, but as of now neither of the three has pulled away in the competition.

Carlton Hill

Prediction:

Barring injury Julmiste will be the opening day starter and the number two will either be Hill or Denson, and I say Hill pulls it out unless they move him to receiver. The quarterback position may not be the strongest point on the team but it will be improved from last year.

The link does not show up properly to the article

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/418486.html

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Depth at QB isn't a goal ... a Great Starter is.

Hopefully one will jump way out in front of the pack this month.

Go BULLS !!!

Guest BasketBull.

I see the title "Quarterback" and my heart skips a beat.

Help me out, please. What was the problem?

I know PJ played well in some instances.

Is he better in the pocket or on the run?

I'm thinking he's not great at making plays when there's so much going on with everybody spread out and he has to make the decision to throw or run, much like MB had to do. And when you add in the pressure of getting that first-down, the guy is under a lot of stress.

But then, again, I remember the shotgun formation not delivering much... Yikes.

I don't want our first year in the Big East to be Groundhog Day part III.

Somebody, please tell me it's going to be different.

P.J. can start -I don't have a problem with that- but I want the nightmare to end.

First, let me say that I still have doubts about PJ.  I trusted him in 2003 -- then he had problems.  I trusted him in 2004 that he had improved his game -- and he had more problems.  To be sure, I think some of the blame was the fact that Hobbie was calling plays that PJ couldn't execute... but (like Bien said repeatedly), Hobbie doesn't throw balls at people's feet.

Now, let me say this.  I despite my misgivings about PJ, I trust CJL to handle this team.  If September 3rd rolls around, and he says that PJ is the starting QB, then there must be a good reason -- probably because PJ really upped his level of play.

There is a chance that PJ has matured because of this increased focus on QB, and the competition that has ensured from brining in Denson, Hill, and Grothe.  Sometimes people need a kick in the butt to grow up -- and maybe this was it for PJ.  

He knows this may be his last chance to be the Bulls QB.  If he fails, there are three very good guys waiting to pick up the ball.  In 2003, he was thrown into the fire because Banks wasn't cutting it.  In 2004, he was back by default.  Now USF has Denson chomping at the bit after sitting out last year.  Hill and Grothe also want to show PJ the door so they can have a crack at it.

The fact that PJ has stepped up his leadership shows a new level of maturity that we hadn't seen previously.  He has reached his last chance... and he has to prove to himself, to the coaches, and to the fans that he is ready to step up to the next level -- a level he should have been at last year.

Penn State won't be the only test for PJ this year.  He will have to step up against Louisville, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, etc to keep is his starting job.  Once false move might be forgiven... but two or three poor drives in any game, and I don't think CJL will hesitate to pull him.

Finally, here is what I would call a "success" against Penn State: a 60% completion percentage and no interceptions.  If PJ can do that, then it will be up to the defense to keep it close and Hall to open up the offense a bit more.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Just because PJ is displaying characteristics of a leader in 7 on 7 drills when nobody is watching, doesn't mean he's going to be able to replicate that behavior in front of 100000 people at PSU.  

The problem was never his work ethic.  I believe he always worked hard.  The Poblem is HE DOESN'T HAVE THE TOOLS TO BE A BCS QUALITY QB!  

Just because PJ is displaying characteristics of a leader in 7 on 7 drills when nobody is watching, doesn't mean he's going to be able to replicate that behavior in front of 100000 people at PSU.  

The problem was never his work ethic.  I believe he always worked hard.  The Poblem is HE DOESN'T HAVE THE TOOLS TO BE A BCS QUALITY QB!  

Oh, I forgot that you used to be a BCS college's head football coach and before that were a scout and recruiter for a BCS college.  So you are obviously THE expert on what it takes to be a BCS quality QB.

;-)

---

Reminds me of a quote I heard somewhere:

The typical college football fan is a 40 year old guy who sits 20 rows up can't understand why one 18-year old kid can't throw a ball to another 18-year old kid 40 yards down field.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

if PJ could only develop some touch on his passes he would be decent.  he throws absolute lasers on 5 yd passes and the WR have hardly any chance.  

Oh, I forgot that you used to be a BCS college's head football coach and before that were a scout and recruiter for a BCS college.  So you are obviously THE expert on what it takes to be a BCS quality QB.

;-)

---

Reminds me of a quote I heard somewhere:

The typical college football fan is a 40 year old guy who sits 20 rows up can't understand why one 18-year old kid can't throw a ball to another 18-year old kid 40 yards down field.

Not at all.  But i have watched him flounder for the past two years with no real signs of any type of consistency, especially in hostile enviornments.  If  his displays of 'leadership" in these 7 on 7 drills make you feel better about our situation then more power to ya.  Hey, I hear some of the flag football intramural QBs have some great leadership skills as well.  maybe they can fight it out for the #2 spot.   ::)

Reminds me of a quote I once heard:

The definition of insanity is the repitition of a single behavior while expecting different results.

Guess you weren't around last summer when Leavitt and Co. tried to lay the same line of BS on us about how "improved" PJ was.  We all saw how that turned out.  Maybe you like being 4-7.  I don't know.

Beastie...

I did start my post with: "First, let me say that I still have doubts about PJ."

As a fan, I feel like I am a rock climber hanging perilously high up a rock face... my post was just an attempt to find any finger and toe holds I could use to feel a bit more secure...

---

You know... silver linings... a half full cup... that sort of thing.

Unlike smazza, LOB99, you, and a few others - I am trying hard not to be pessimistic about the coming season... yes, I might get my hopes smashed to bits... but it's better to have hoped and lost than to never have hoped at all...

:-)

Where have I been pessimistic about the upcoming season?  I don't really think we'll be much better than 4-7 but I think that's pretty realistic considering our performance last season and our schedule this season.  Most of us were hoping someone would unseat PJ and thus far it hasn't happened.  That is disappointing.  I've said all along if he is the best he should start, but if he is our best then we're in trouble.  I wish I could be as optimistic about the guy as yourself but i've heard all of this before.  I hope he proves me very wrong.