• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Schaeffer To JuCo

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  880
  • Days Won:  0

http://bulls.tbo.com/bulls/MGBIX8LHVBE.html

TAMPA - Former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer will play at a California junior college this fall in hopes of returning to the Southeastern Conference next season at either Florida, Auburn or Georgia, Schaeffer told The Tampa Tribune.

Schaeffer said he will leave for College of the Sequoias in Visalia, Calif., today. By playing at a junior college, Schaeffer will only have two years eligibility remaining in Division I- A. If Schaeffer, who started three games as a freshman at Tennessee last year, transferred to a I-A school he would have had to sit out the 2005 season, but would have three years eligibility remaining.

``I'm excited to play right away,'' Schaeffer said. ``I want to go back to the SEC. I like the level of play, the talent, the players. I think it's the best conference and I like playing with the best.

``This wasn't a tough decision. I knew what my goals are - going down [to junior college] real quick and coming back up [to I-A]. I didn't want to pick any school just to go to another school.''

When Schaeffer left Tennessee, he said he made an agreement with Coach Phil Fulmer that he could not transfer to another SEC school or a school the Vols play during his remaining eligibility. However, Schaeffer said by attending a junior college for a year he can attend any school he wants in 2006.

Schaeffer said he hasn't spoken yet to the coaches at Florida, Auburn or Georgia to see if they are interested. ``I can't talk to them right now,'' he said.

When he left Tennessee, Schaeffer said he spoke with University of South Florida coach Jim Leavitt.

He said the Bulls were ``in the picture'' until learning USF had an incoming transfer quarterback, who was the son of an assistant coach. Greg Gregory was hired as tight ends coach in May and his son Grant transferred from Indiana five weeks later.

``I competed before, but with his dad as coach, I wasn't trying to get into all that,'' Schaeffer said.

With USF eliminated, Schaeffer said his final two Division I-A choices were Clemson and Texas A&M. He wouldn't commit to Clemson by the school's deadline, so the Tigers withdrew their offer.

Schaeffer said he liked the players at Texas A&M, ``but I didn't have a good vibe with coach [Dennis Franchione].''

At College of the Sequoias, Schaeffer will play between 10 and 12 games, depending if the Giants make the playoffs, athletic director Brent Calvin said.

``We're thrilled to have him,'' Calvin said. ``He's looking for one big year and then getting back [to I-A]. It worked out great for us. He can have an impact immediately.''

Last season at Tennessee, Schaeffer became the first true freshman to start a SEC opener in 59 years. He threw for 302 yards and two touchdowns in eight games and rushed for 66 yards and one touchdown, but missed four games after injuring his collarbone.

``I'm just glad this is all over,'' Schaeffer said.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Greg Gregory was hired as tight ends coach in May and his son Grant transferred from Indiana five weeks later.

I don't know much about Grant Gregory, is he quality?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

he'd probably be our 5th best qb right now, well maybe 4th.

Schaeffer is just using that as an excuse, since he really didn't want to come here.  

He could have said we had a bunch of QB's to compete with, but no, he picked the least likely to ever play a down out of the bunch and said that was too difficult to beat out.  ::)

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  618

somebody was metioning something about him in one of the other million schaeffer threads. I think the consensus was that he was decent, but not a major threat to schaeffer like he had said in the paper. Schaeffer no doubt said this as a "cop out" because if Leavitt knew we could land him if weren't for one kid, then we woulda canned the other kid. That's my opinion at least...

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Now can we finally move on and forget about this so called "Savior?"  

Guest S.  Bien
he'd probably be our 5th best qb right now, well maybe 4th.

Schaeffer is just using that as an excuse, since he really didn't want to come here.  

He could have said we had a bunch of QB's to compete with, but no, he picked the least likely to ever play a down out of the bunch and said that was too difficult to beat out.  ::)

Don't count Gregory out.  Better athlete, and QB than many imagine.  Not in Schaeffer's district though, that was a cope out excuse.  Like I said the kid's had someone whispering in his ear for quite sometime.  He's being steered in this direction, can't tell or haven't heard if it's by another staff or an agent but the relevancy, and oddity bywhich this has gone down indicates he's got to many people he's listening to.

Honestly, his loss not ours.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Don't count Gregory out.  Better athlete, and QB than many imagine.  Not in Schaeffer's district though, that was a cope out excuse.  Like I said the kid's had someone whispering in his ear for quite sometime.  He's being steered in this direction, can't tell or haven't heard if it's by another staff or an agent but the relevancy, and oddity bywhich this has gone down indicates he's got to many people he's listening to.

Honestly, his loss not ours.

exactly! he like other will not prosper from this day forward, talent or not.