• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rating the state's RB's

Guest Vanilla Rice

Guest Vanilla Rice

That was posted on July 11th at 4:44 p.m.  by BullDoug freshman Bob.  do you think i was pulling that out of my ass?   Someone did compare Hall to Dickerson, Emmitt Smith and Payton.  

That's where I said, whoooaaaaa.  Wait a minute, the kid is good, but if you want to compare someone to those guys.  Compare the kid at Oklahoma to Dickerson or Reggie Bush to Walter Payton, but comparing Andre Hall????

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517
  • Days Won:  0

Posted by Bulldoug:

As for Hall missing a quarter here & a quarter there, that's typical RB wear n tear.  Give Andre a QB and group of WRs that can catch ball & IMO he's a top 10-12 RB in the nation and a 3rd round NFL draft pick.  He explodes thru an open hole in the line with the best RBs I've seen with exception to Dickerson, Smith and Payton as far a college backs go.

And I quote, "he explodes thru an open hole inthe line with the best RB's I've seen with exception to Dickerson, Smith and Payton as far as college backs go."  

Whoa Nellie, the kid is good, but apparently someone hasn't seen too many backs in their career if they are comparing Hall to those guys.  Read it again there Freshman Bob!  didn't they teach you to read in college instead of scanning?

ex·cep·tion    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (k-spshn)

n.

The act of excepting or the condition of being excepted; exclusion.

I feel weird doing this for a Bulls fan not in the Mad Cow .........  :-/

Guest Vanilla rice

What Bulldoug was saying is that he hasn't seen a back hit the hole like that with the exception of ****, Payt and Smith.  In other words, he's saying that he's up there with those guys.  i'll give Hall that.  He does hit the hole pretty **** fast.  Needs breakaway speed though.  Especially at his size.  

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

What Bulldoug was saying is that he hasn't seen a back hit the hole like that with the exception of ****, Payt and Smith.  In other words, he's saying that he's up there with those guys.  i'll give Hall that.  He does hit the hole pretty **** fast.  Needs breakaway speed though.  Especially at his size.  

Dang Vanilla Rice.  I guess what the heck is your point?  Andre Hall is not a NFL caliber back?  

To say he is not up there with the guys mentioned will be settled on the field this year.  People said Charlie Ward wasn't big enough to be an NFL QB.  Guess what, they were right, but that didn't stop him from tearing it up in the college ranks.

The point is that Andre Hall showed some great things last year.  He's small(ish), but he time after time found ways to stay on his feet and just get extra yards.  You figure the second tackler would get him and then it was the third and fourth.  He did these things with no semblence of a passing game.  None.  5 yard routes with the ball thrown in the dirt does not aid a running game.  

The fact that he put up so many yards when every defense knew he was getting the ball makes it more incredible and he actually had the opportunity for more (see 2nd half of Army game).  

The guy is verstatile, sturdy and really wasn't as quick in 2004 as he will be in 2005 (I have an interesting quote on that you'll see down the line).  He tore up the JuCo ranks.  

I'm not going to argue with you because you seem to have your opinion, but to not call Andre Hall a great back is sort of a smack in the face.   You play against the competition you line up against.  Playstation matchups are for Playstation.  

I'm not sure what you can do to take the 1357 away or the 3000+ in JUCO.  What else does he have to do?  A backflip in the endzone?

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Thurman Thomas didn't have break away speed and I seem to recall he did okay for himself.

However, that is not the point. If not for the "crazies" college football would be a wouldn't be what it is today. Get over yourself......

Guest Vanilla Rice

Thurmon Thomas did have breakaway speed.  What are you talking about?  he wasn't a blazer.  But his breakaway speed was better than Andre's.  Andre is fast at hitting the hole, but he does get brought down from behind at times.  

by the way, big difference between being a fan and being obsessed.  One is scarry while the other is not.  Which one are you?

Guest Vanilla Rice

My original point was from the Orlando Sentinel which said that FSU had the best RB's and that Wasington from FSU is the state's best back.  I agreed while others on here did not and said Andre is better.  Andre is probably the state's second best back.  Then people started throwing stats out there and the difference between FSU and USF is that FSU has another RB, Lorenzo Booker who is just as good.  Booker might even be a better RB than Hall.  That was the original argument and then everyone started throwing stats at me and FSU has good RB's that share carries (sort of like a couple years ago with Boobie, Callum, Brewer, Green).  Also FSU may have thrown the ball a little more than USF last year.  

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459

I've reread a few of VR's posts and it seems that he wants an asterisk next to the name Andre Hall.*

* Played in Conference USA for one year and Big East for one year so even though he has great stats and a is getting a lot of press please don't consider him to be a great player because there are better players on USC, FSU, etc. that play against better competition week in and week out.

I'll agree with your premise, but it is sort of tough to knock a college player for being a great college player.  The draft, and later the NFL, will sort out what level of 'great' player he was, but in the meantime I'm not sure how you can compare him to the other guys.  

Is the point of it all his bankability in the eyes of NFL scouts?  Heisman dreams?  I don't know.  I think maybe you end the argument when you say to this point he is the best guy USF has ever had suit up back there.

I'm fairly certain if you compared them in standardized drills at a combine or something similar many of the guys would outrank Andre.  But I'm not sure what that means at this point in this season.  I think the bulk of these guys want Andre to play in the NFL, but right now they want him to run over Big East competition.

Guest Vanilla Rice

If someone wants to throw stats out there, I guess Timmy Chang of Hawai'i is the greatest college QB of all time then huh?   He owns like every college passing mark out there breaking a lot of Ty Detmer's records and he won the Heisman.  

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

Posted by Bulldoug:

And I quote, "he explodes thru an open hole inthe line with the best RB's I've seen with exception to Dickerson, Smith and Payton as far as college backs go."  

didn't they teach you to read in college instead of scanning?

I read "with exception to" as "except for" as would most of the english majors on this planet. Perhpas someone has their reading glasses fogged by their ego.