• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Oracle Fights Temptation, Has Optimistic Look

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  243
  • Days Won:  0

Former Oracle Sports Editor here (should I admit that?) Anyway, note that this is a "commentary" and therefore the "opinion" of the author and not the backing of the paper. Game and news stories serve to report facts. Feature stories serve to highlight a particular athlete. Commentary/columns serve to entertain and promote water cooler chat like this. Back in the day we considered ourselves professional journalists (the school - I think SG - paid us, which is by definition the meaning of professional) and we followed all the rules the Times and Tribune are subject to and were treated the same in terms of accessibility. Also, many of the editors and staff writers on the Oracle were (still are?) freelance writers for the Times and Tribune. Anyway, the "we/us" this is completely a fan thing. No media outlet anywhere (print or electronic - with the homerish exception of Gene Deckerhoff (whom I've also been priviledged to work with) uses those terms.

Oh how I don't miss those 15 hour days of going to class then "putting the paper to bed" before heading to Montana's for some "spirits."

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

It is refreshing to see a decent story come out of the Oracle.  However, it is summer, and I'm sure we'll see the norm return in the fall.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,786
  • Days Won:  3

..note that this is a "commentary" and therefore the "opinion" of the author and not the backing of the paper...

...you'd be surprised how often this tiny, little, oh-so-insignificant factoid gets bypassed... :o

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

If it's only a "commentary" or "opinion" then why would it be wrong to use the terms "us/we"?