• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Q&A with Jim Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

Rather than using Hill as we did Fisher, substiting him for the QB when we want to run the option, why don't we have him line up with Hall in a 2 back set.  

Picture that, you have the QB wheather it be Denson, Grothe, PJ or whomever under center, and then you have both Hill and Hall lined up in the 2 back set.  You could run one hell of an option.  You could also run half back options with Hill because he has the ability to throw the ball.  Or on occassion you could run the direct pitch to him.  And he seems big enough and physical enough where he could either carry the ball on occassion or block and provide protection to the QB as the position requires.  

This would really throw defenses off balance because you would have a 3 headed monster in the offensive backfield.  They will never know what to expect, unlike when you simply substitute the QB for Hill under center as we did with Fisher.  After awhile they will catch on and this will become ineffective if we run it too often.  And in the scenario I laid out, I think this will make Hill happy as well.  He wants playing time immediately, but he also wants a shot at QB.  And as I mentioned with him lining up in the 2 back set you will have the option for Hill to pass the ball several times a game so it will be a great opportunity for him to get his feet wet and learn the offense.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Jewlmiste will be an All American this year

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Okay, you've gone far enuff mister!  You shall be banned from posting for the entire football season due to remarks displaying evidence that your mind is not sound in regards to opinions about USF athletics.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

So, Hill will father two children in between practices and then drive around with a suspended license and eventually work his way down to starting QB for the Florida Tropics?

You frighten me sometimes ....

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  46

part 3 is up today

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Q&A with Coach Jim Leavitt (part III)

By Josh Newberg USFnation.com

Date: Jun 28, 2005

In the final installment of the Jim Leavitt interview coach talks about the new facilities, his definition of success, and forming a rivalry in the Big East.

Josh Newberg: Ten years ago you were named the head coach, what do you attribute to the quick climb?

Head Coach Jim Leavitt: Well we have had good seasons and bad, but all the while this program has moved forward. Starting in the 1AA, to 1A independent, to conference USA and currently the Big East. Look at our circumstances, we got great location, a great university and coaches that are very committed. I mean we got coaches that worked for dorm rooms and meals, no salary. I still got two coaches on my staff that in the beginning did not get paid a penny for two years. Some people complain about their salaries but these guys made nothing, but they were committed to the vision. In the end it paid off for them. We work very hard year round and it’s the same for me. I know it’s been fun but I didn’t go on vacation for six or seven years, and when I did it was a weekend deal. There was no time, I’m not saying look at me because all the coaches had it like that.

In the beginning we Paul Griffin was our athletic director and he had great vision. Then Lee Roy Selmon really helped continue that, and Doug Woolard is very committed. I have also been very lucky to have three presidents since I have been here and all of them have had great vision.

I really believe this, that we are just starting to find out what this program can do. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and I really believe that. We have had great community support and I hope every year we can continue to step it up to the next level. This whole area has been unbelievable to us.

JN: Can you talk a little bit about the new facilities.

JL: Oh it’s Beautiful, we are real excited about it and have had some people that have done so much to build this. You walk around here and there are not many nicer than this. Ours is very practical and functional the way it’s laid out. The biggest thing is that we have room here to build on what we have. That’s what I like, there is room to grow, it’s four and half acres. What I really like is the academic enrichment center, its unbelievable.

JN: What is your definition of a successful season for this year?

JL: To improve every game and play better. I never really want to talk about wins and losses, and I never have since I got here. We need to improve every day. I don’t know I really don’t have an answer for that. Most people seem to look at it as a bowl game. That seems to be the rallying cry for South Florida. We have been eligible for 3 of the 4 years we’ve been in Division 1. There was a controversial issue two years ago but before that we were definitely eligible but we were independent so we couldn’t go. First year of Conference USA we couldn’t go because of a 1AA game. That’s an interesting story, we didn’t petition it but I don’t know if it would have mattered. So I guess you could say a bowl game would be a success by most standards.

JN: As you look toward the season are there two or three things that have to happen?

JL: We have to have great play out of the Quarterback. Andre Hall has to continue his success. We have to play great defense and they have to get back to stopping the run game. Then our kicking game has to be solid.

JN: How do you compete against the big three in recruiting?

JL: They have more tradition than we do. They aren’t bigger schools (by the numbers), they don’t play in a bigger BCS situation. We are all in the same room now when it comes to the National Championship. They have tradition, so in our recruiting process we usually ask the kids if they want to be a part of tradition or do you want to start tradition. That is our sell. We have done better in recruiting, however until we beat one of those teams no one will ever call Florida the big four. That’s the bottom line and that’s the way it should be. Until someone does that that’s the way it should be.

JN: How important is it to establish a rivalry with a team in the state?

JL: I’m not sure. You got Florida State and Florida, Florida State and Miami. I mean rivalries only start when you beat people. It would be a natural rivalry with Central Florida because they are close in proximity. Miami is also close but Miami is always playing Florida and Florida State. That is because we are a non-factor until we beat some of these teams. We are also a non-factor because we have been around for so few years. You look at Central Florida, they are probably 20 years ahead of us. We have gone 10 and until we rise up and beat someone it won’t change.

I think it’s very important we have a rival in the Big East. Who it will be, I’m not sure yet. We are not located near anyone. Look at whose rival was Miami’s, did they even have one? I don’t know, I mean Virginia Tech was kind of one but not really. I’m not sure who it will be but I think we need to establish one in the Big East first.

Guest S.  Bien

Moffett has been an animal in practice and workouts.  Apparently he's really taken to the move to MLB.  He's gotten bigger, is making all the right reads, and is the most comfortable inside calling the plays and plugging the middle.  Some say he could develop into the best at MLB, he wasn't an OLB, and was lost sometimes last year in open space, MLB allows him to use those natural instincts.

Denson will most likely be the starter for PSU.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Denson will most likely be the starter for PSU.

That ain't right making that statement w/no follow up.  Talk 'bout leavin' a brotha hangin'.  Is that statement a fact or are you going on pure feel?  Next time you chitchat with a coaching staff member, bring the digi voice recorder and upload that mp3...Kay?  :)

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

There were at least 50 USF football players practicing late this afternoon. I know Denson got a lot of reps as did Carlton Hill. It was hard for me to see exactly what was going on as I stayed outside the fence looking in for about thirty minutes and the players on the sidelines blocked my view a lot.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  106

Howie,

What time do they work out and where can you watch? I would be interested in stopping by if you tell me when/where.

Thanks.