• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will the playing field ever level?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

I just read this:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050603/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_notre_dame_vaas

Peter Vaas Named Notre Dame QB Coach

Peter Vaas, a head coach in NFL Europe the last six seasons, was appointed quarterbacks coach at Notre Dame on Friday.

Vaas replaces David Cutcliffe, who resigned Tuesday because his recovery from triple bypass heart surgery was taking longer than expected.

"For several years, Peter Vaas has been on our radar and was certainly on my short list when I took this job," Irish coach Charlie Weis said. "After further research, the support for Peter from people I know and trust was overwhelming, making this move an easy one."

Vaas, who was quarterbacks coach for the Irish under Lou Holtz in 1990-91, said he was excited about returning to college football.

"My past experience in college football was tremendous, and I've had some opportunities to return to college football over the last 10 years," he said. "But none of those opportunities were as exciting as this one."

Vaas coached the Cologne Centurions the past two seasons, guiding them to a record of 9-10. Vaas previously was coach of the Berlin Thunder for four seasons, winning World Bowls in 2001 and 2002.

He also has been a head coach at Holy Cross, his alma mater.

Will USF ever step up to the plate, and hire (meaning PAY FOR) real assistant coaches?

Or are we going to be forced to watch the "haves" have and us just slide by at the bottom?

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

There will always be the schools like UF, Texas, USC etc. who are swimming in $$$$ and can out-spend every other team. USF is bringing up the rear in the money race in D-1 athletics although we are making great strides. It will take time. Patience, grasshopper.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

I just read this:

Will USF ever step up to the plate, and hire (meaning PAY FOR) real assistant coaches?

Or are we going to be forced to watch the "haves" have and us just slide by at the bottom?

Just where, oh wise one, would you suggest the money come from??

Notre Dame has 7 times the money USF has - and spends more than twice the money....

[table][tr][td]School[/td][td]Total Revenues[/td][td]Total Expenses[/td][td]Football Revenue[/td][td]Football Expenses[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]Notre Dame[/td][td]55,039,977[/td][td]43,119,402[/td][td]38,596,090[/td][td]11,393,367[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]USF[/td][td]18,590,107[/td][td]18,566,177[/td][td]5,189,338[/td][td]5,022,753

[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest dullynullly

Jim has done a great job to get us here.  But he is a cheap ass and will not get us to the next step he is tooooooo cheap

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

It isn't that CJL is too cheap, its that we don't have the funds.  We need more revenues, we need more season ticket holders, we need more donations.  I can tell you this, I start my new job this Monday and one of the benefits that I was looking forward to is "matching educational donations".  They'll match me penny for penny in donating for scholarships.  Even if it can only be put towards scholarships, it frees up funds for other areas.  Check to see what your company offers...

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  433
  • Days Won:  0

Why is it that if someone asks for a high salery it automatically means they are better? You all think the more money we spend the better we will get. Well the Washington Nationals are 1/2 game out of first and the Royals just sweapt the Yankees. I guess all the money spent is paying off. You can say on paper this on paper that. Until they get on the field, chill out, then you can run your mouth and tell everyone how right or wrong you are.

Guest S.  Bien

Before all of you go on these incessant rants about USF not stepping up, or Leavitt not hiring big name coaches you better check the bios of many of the guys currently on our coaching staffs.  Go look at the background of Rick Kravitz, Carl Franks, Rick Rachel, Wally Burnham, and even the new TE coach.

Those boys all carry some serious, serious credentials.  Just because we promoted Smith, and many people hate the choice doesn't mean we don't already have some great coaches on this staff.  This is absolutely silly, we've got three assistant coaches that have HC experience, other than Leavitt, and five coaches with solid history as head coordinators.  Go look at Wally Burnham's background, it's a miracle we were lucky enough to land him, and ditto for Carl Franks.

Jeez, does this board always have to be a 'glass is half empty' place.  I'm got coming with some positive spin, I'm giving you facts, and the fact that we have some of the assistants we do, with the salaries we pay, is almost extraordinary!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

Before all of you go on these incessant rants about USF not stepping up, or Leavitt not hiring big name coaches you better check the bios of many of the guys currently on our coaching staffs.  Go look at the background of Rick Kravitz, Carl Franks, Rick Rachel, Wally Burnham, and even the new TE coach.

Those boys all carry some serious, serious credentials.  Just because we promoted Smith, and many people hate the choice doesn't mean we don't already have some great coaches on this staff.  This is absolutely silly, we've got three assistant coaches that have HC experience, other than Leavitt, and five coaches with solid history as head coordinators.  Go look at Wally Burnham's background, it's a miracle we were lucky enough to land him, and ditto for Carl Franks.

Jeez, does this board always have to be a 'glass is half empty' place.  I'm got coming with some positive spin, I'm giving you facts, and the fact that we have some of the assistants we do, with the salaries we pay, is almost extraordinary!

That level of management is good part of the reason why USF footbal has risen so quickly.

Of course, it is also the reason everyone complains about the smith hire so much.  Comparing him to some of the names you listed, it's not hard to see that hes below our average in terms of finding good coaches for great prices.

But you're right, overall there is terrific experience here and USF is doing just about as much as possible, given its funds.

Sure we would do better if we could get Andy Reid down here.  Someone just donate us 3 billion dollars and we'll get any coach you need!

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we can get coaches will more experience than smith to be OC for a bcs team

leavitt is insecure and will not hire  anyone that can challenge him

isn't that clear yet?

dana dimmel is a graduate assistant for ksu

there are 100 other coaches more qualified and that would take the oc job at usf but leavitt's frail ego wouldn't allow it

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

100? Really did you talked to them? Did you also find out the deal with Dimel?

The fact is that as was shown in previous post we might be in a BCS conference BUT we still have a ways to go to have BCS budget. When our fans start giving more and showing up for games then we will have the cash to get more.

You dont go buy a Lexus or even a Toyota with a Saturn Budget if you do you might end up BANKRUPT.