• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Strong's Staff

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

3 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

We absolutely killed it on the bubble screens this year.

Our bubble screens work because generally we have better athletes than the other teams we play at our skill positions. It doesn't make it good football. Short passes to open receivers (preferably NOT on the sidelines) would work just as well (if not better) and allow the screens we then run to work better.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 minute ago, NAM37 said:

Our bubble screens work because generally we have better athletes than the other teams we play at our skill positions. It doesn't make it good football. Short passes to open receivers (preferably NOT on the sidelines) would work just as well (if not better) and allow the screens we then run to work better.

Still they worked undeniably good.  How many times did Flowers fake a bubble to the slot receiver playing off the line and the other receiver faked a block and then darted right past the DB.  Worked every time.  I can pull out film of this happening over and over again.

• Topic Count:  97
  • Content Count:  1,180

Well I did post the tweet about post. It it was mentioned right before I posted it, so I'll just add I want to keep Weist.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The bubbles and the jets work well because we have better athletes and good, disciplined blocking from our receivers downfield. 

Doesn't need to be sophisticated if we can continue to get our playmakers in space.  

This offense will work as long as they let Flowers do his thing and don't try to make him a pocket passer like Skip tried to do with BJ.

This offense can be even more prolific with a defense that can give them the ball back more often.  

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Days Won:  0

15 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

good, disciplined blocking from our receivers downfield. 

Which is a pretty rare thing to see with some receivers since they're more concerned about throwing a block and getting hurt as a result.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  831
  • Days Won:  0

43 minutes ago, ToroDeFuego said:

Weist says he wants to stay.

I think he just might keep TJ for Flowers and Mack's last stand.

Makes sense to me.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

58 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

There is so much wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin.

The core concept of any spread offense is spreading the field to get one on one match ups and getting your guys to win them.  Even when athletes are equal in any one on one open field tackling situation somebody wins that match up.  Putting your best athletes in these kind of situations is actually fantastic football.  Putting guys in advantageous situations and getting them the ball is what makes great offensive playcallers great.  There's also a philosophical reason why this is important in spread offenses but i don't even need to get into that.  

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

2 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

The core concept of any spread offense is spreading the field to get one on one match ups and getting your guys to win them.  Even when athletes are equal in any one on one open field tackling situation somebody wins that match up.  Putting your best athletes in these kind of situations is actually fantastic football.  Putting guys in advantageous situations and getting them the ball is what makes great offensive playcallers great.  There's also a philosophical reason why this is important in spread offenses but i don't even need to get into that.  

Yeah, I get that... there is no argument that what we did this year was successful. Especially against the level of competition we generally play.

However... i feel we are too reliant on the same 4-6 plays over and over. Just think how much better we would be if the opponent didn't know what we were going to call. There were several times in the stands this year that I called play-for-play what we were going to do. 

That said, I'm not saying we remove ANYTHING from our playbook. I'm saying if we added 5-10 new plays into the rotation, we could be even more dangerous. 

• Upvote 1