• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

MARQUETTE CHANGES NICKNAME

Guest BearcatFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

mcdonalds.jpg

I'm starting to like it now...

LOL... you and gary need to take your show on the road... you could make a few bucks on the side doing stand-up.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661
  • Days Won:  0

You know, I love how the word "warrior" at some point became the exclusive property of whiny anti-Indian-team-name activists.

Someone needs to tell these bozos that word "warrior" is not a tribe name, it's not a racial slur, it's not even a term specific to Native Americans. Every culture since the dawn of time has had its warriors. It's a generic term, like "kings" or "fighters" or whatever.

This is like McDonald's asking the city of Hamburg, Germany to rename itself because the word "Hamburg" is an appropriation of their menu.

The term can easily be used in a non-native American context. But of course the PC crowd aren't going to allow that, and the university leadership isn't going to stand up for their traditions.

So now they're the MARQUETTE GOLD. Cue the MP3 file of Master Shake saying, "You're the gayest thing since gay went to gaytown."

Marquette Gold sounds like the name of some crappy weed you'd buy from a French Canadian.

Lord knows what they're going to go after next. Here's my guess:

iw.txt

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Marquette Gold sounds like the name of some crappy weed you'd buy from a French Canadian.

I thought it sounded like an indoor soccer team...

• Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307

I thought it sounded like an indoor soccer team...

Or a real low-grade beer.

So the Gold joins the Orangemen, Blue Demons, Scarlet Knights, and Red Storm, and that's not even counting the Cardinals. It sounds like we're joining a box of crayons here...

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229

Maybe we should switch to Golden Brahman bulls  ::)

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Or a real low-grade beer.

So the Gold joins the Orangemen, Blue Demons, Scarlet Knights, and Red Storm, and that's not even counting the Cardinals. It sounds like we're joining a box of crayons here...

I thought Syracuse was scared away from Orangemen - aren't they just the "Orange"?  And, we all know that the "Red Storm" were previously not a hued weather event.

Does anyone remember the Denver Gold of the USFL?

gold.h3.jpg

stat8511.jpg

Yeah, the name sucked in the 80s, too.

And it's only a matter of time before all these names get changed. Don't you know it's racist to imply that one color is better than another?

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  160

Bulliever, the GOLDEN ARCHES WAS CLASSIC !!!! Great stuff  ::lmao::

It all comes down to marketing. Marquette is in a new conference so there is a lot of money to be made by changing their logo and name.

I like the new logo, but the name sucks.

I am going to post a link to this topic on the forum I regularly post on. Thanks for the laugh.

DW

Guest bullman33

This is like McDonald's asking the city of Hamburg, Germany to rename itself because the word "Hamburg" is an appropriation of their menu.

Actually the hamburger was created in Hamburg, thus the name.  

In the late eighteenth century, the largest ports in Europe were in German. Sailors who had visited the ports of Hamburg, Germany and New York, brought the food and term "Hamburg Steak" into popular usage. To attract German sailors, eating stands along the New York city harbor offered "steak cooked in the Hamburg style."

In 1802, the Oxford English Dictionary defined Hamburg steak as salt beef.

Immigrants to the United States from German-speaking countries brought with them some of their favorite foods. One of them was Hamburg Steak. The Germans simply flavored shredded low-grade beef with regional spices, and both cooked and raw it became a standard meal among the poorer classes. In the seaport town of Hamburg, it acquired the name Hamburg steak. Today, this hamburger patty is no longer called Hamburg Steak in Germany but rather "Frikadelle," "Frikandelle" or "Bulette," orginally Italian and French words.

Just in case you didnt know.  You learned something today!