• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Out of conference schedule

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Next time someone complains that we are now a BCS team and shouldnt have 1AA on our schedule remember this:

Texas Tech, fresh of a Bowl and ranked 17th in the nation has

Florida International,Sam Houston St and Indiana St as their out of conference for next year thats TWO 1AA and one team moving up from 1AA.

Get ready with the 12 game schedule and 1AA counting for Bowl elibility yearly, to see a 1AA home game EVERY year.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  60
  • Days Won:  0

Still 4 OOC slots to fill even with 1 D-1A game.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Yes, it will be hard to fill because of the 7-game Big East schedule.

2006: @ North Carolina, @ Central Florida, Florida International (2 left)

2007: @ Auburn, North Carolina, C-USA team TBA, Miami (could move to 2006) (1 left)

2008: @ Florida, Florida International, C-USA team TBA (2 left)

2009: @ Florida (4 left)

2010: @ Florida International (4 left)

EMU & Indiana are rumored to be in discussions for a home-and-home in this time frame.  USF is also talking with Tulane for a series that starts no sooner than 2010.

The C-USA team we play in 2007 & 2008 can't be UCF as they have their OOC schedule filled already (source: http://www.nationalchamps.net).

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  76

don't we have north carolina in 2006 and wasn't the famu series scheduled for at least two games, with an option for renewal?

For some reason I missed UNC in '06 -- but have added it.

FAMU was a one-year deal:

An AP story from the Miami Herald on the duration of USF-FAMU

site_logo_280x75.gif

USF-FAMU:@ South Florida and Florida A&M agreed Wednesday on a one-year deal to meet in neat year's inaugural Tampa Bay Sports Commission Classic to be held Sept. 10, 2005 at Raymond James Stadium.

It will be the first meeting between the two schools. FAMU last played in Tampa in 1996 when the annual Florida Classic against Bethune-Cookman was held there. That was a year before USF's inaugural season.

FAMU also released their full 2005 schedule Wednesday, which includes a full Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference schedule for the first time since 2003. Along with USF, the Rattlers face FIU in Miami and Tennessee State in Atlanta in non-conference games.

Story Link

- FAMU thread here: http://www.thebullspen.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1101314474;start=

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,675
  • Days Won:  29

Just hope we get this cleared up soon . . .  does seem our AD is working hard on this.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

The 7 conference game thing is a pain in the rump.  To visit a highly traveled road, the NBE needs to split from the basketball schools ASAP & add 4 of the listed 6 schools - ECU, UAB, UCF, Memphis, Tulane or Temple.   Personally, Orlando, Memphis, New Orleans and Birmingham makes sense to me 'cuz it give the NBE some southern flavor.  All have international airports too.  Or get UMASS's, VT's and/or UNH's football on a fast track for D1A.  BTW, I hate the Army/Navy partial membership idea.  It's crap.  And please, No Notre Dame rhetoric.  It's plain pipe dreams.

South Division

USF, UCF, Memphis, UL, Tulane, UAB

North Division:

UCONN, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers, Cincinnatti

After writting this conference, I just realized it will never happen b/c the old BE teams would not have control.  This conference makes sense but we're gonna havta wait another 10-15 yrs for another conference shuffle.

The 7 conference game thing is a pain in the rump.  To visit a highly traveled road, the NBE needs to split from the basketball schools ASAP & add 4 of the listed 6 schools - ECU, UAB, UCF, Memphis, Tulane or Temple.   Personally, Orlando, Memphis, New Orleans and Birmingham makes sense to me 'cuz it give the NBE some southern flavor.  All have international airports too.  Or get UMASS's, VT's and/or UNH's football on a fast track for D1A.  BTW, I hate the Army/Navy partial membership idea.  It's crap.  And please, No Notre Dame rhetoric.  It's plain pipe dreams.

South Division

USF, UCF, Memphis, UL, Tulane, UAB

North Division:

UCONN, Pitt, Syracuse, WVU, Rutgers, Cincinnatti

After writting this conference, I just realized it will never happen b/c the old BE teams would not have control.  This conference makes sense but we're gonna havta wait another 10-15 yrs for another conference shuffle.

Doug -- you are right that having 7 conference games is a pain... but it means we can up our caliber by playing 4-5 strong OOC games... Heck, look at 2007: North Carolina & Miami at home (ACC), @ Auburn (SEC)... add another BCS team (@ Indiana?) and we get FIU as our 'creampuff'... no I-AA games!  Going 5-0 OOC and then 7-0 Big East in 2007 would give us some real exposure!! Heck - even a 10-2 record would be outstanding!!

Oh, and since the BCS contract is only through 2011, it might not be 10-15 years before there is re-alignment.

The only thing I would see - with the 12th game - would be that it's possible to add an 8th Big East game now -- all Big East teams are looking to fill a slot - it would be easier to bring in a football only member (Army, Navy, or bring back Temple) to even out the schedule.

But don't expect it... the Big East has had 7 conference games since its inception - they lost four (UM, VT, BC, TU) and gained four (UCon, UCin, UL, & USF)... so it's no different than the 1990s as far as Big East scheduling goes.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I dont see the BE expanding to 12 football schools anytime soon. The fact is that with the BCS standards for overall league avg and champions rank. Having a championship game could hurt you unless you have two ranked teams meeting in it. Also there really is noone outhere other than ND that would increase league in people's eye. I could see a ninth team for football only.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

i like the army /navy/ air force 3/3/2 idea as the 9th member if it can be worked out (and i do not see any issues clearly preventing that)

good scheduling good attendance and exposure with little commitment

we could do it for 5yrs until the bcs contract goes bye bye the we could look at the options at that time